Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm wondering if any of you will be able to help with this issue its driving me insane.
Basics on the FJ, 07 6spd about 130,000 miles.

A week ago I was driving, everything was normal going roughly 80 when I heard a bit of pop from the front drivers wheel well area/ foot well, and what i thought was me just running over something and it hitting the floor. I Kept going and thought nothing of it until i came to stop and went to turn left and it proceeds to make this sound ( Last 8 seconds of the video, i failed at embedding video as well)

https://imgur.com/a/GXyVszT

The ticking is clearly coming from around the gas pedal and the louder bangs can be felt through the floor, it feels something slapping the whole floor pan under your feet. It happens from a stop and ends after roughly 40km/h the frequency doesn't change with rpm only just stops at around 40km. The ticking can be heard with the clutch in and out and while in neutral the louder bangs only during acceleration. The ticking also continues very briefly if you shut the engine off and just neutral roll. The hardest part is it only happens some times. I can go all day with no noise or it happens 45 minutes into driving or as soon as i pull out of my driveway. Oh and the stupid truck drives perfectly fine otherwise.:flame:

What I've done so far:
New drivers front CV because at first it felt like a popping CV
Been under the car and tightened and checked pretty much every suspension arm bolt, sway bar bolt, shock bolt, Cat to exhaust bolt , transmission cross member bolts, drive shaft bolts on both T-case and both diffs everything is fine.
Checked for rubbing in the wheel well and all around the floor pan found none.
Took the starter out and put a boroscope into the bell housing to look for damage and found none.
Other work that has been done was about 600km ago i put a new clutch/ flywheel and TSB components in.

Its also spent two days at a shop and while they heard the sounds they found nothing wrong other than loose hood bolts:shrug03: They also don't do a lot of transmission work and didn't want to pull it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated because I'm out of ideas shy of burning it and buying a voodoo blue one instead.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I had a similar noise and it turned out that one of the LCA cam bolts was a hair loose.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i have a similar clicking noise when i start mine from cold, from park to drive. it will click (once) after rolling a few feet forward. holding the brake will delay it. when the car is warm, no clicking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar noise and it turned out that one of the LCA cam bolts was a hair loose.
Checked those today they are pretty much seized on, my electric impact didnt even move the nut. Test drive after tightening and its still there. Thanks for the suggestion though. Might just take it to another shop at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts