Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was maneuvering over an obstacle (sharp incline hill) in the FJ. 4HI wasn't working for me, backed off, put in park, switched to 2LO turned on ATRAC, destroyed the hill but during I heard some weird clicking noise that was unsettling. Thought (oh nooooo) but then had a nice drive home on the high way so I suppose nothing is wrong. I assume this is the ABS/ATRAC doing its job?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
You do not have 2LO unless you are running an aftermarket transfer case with twin sticks. Or your ADD is broken.

The transmission should be in neutral when you are shifting the transfer case

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meant L4 and 2L, d'oh! I didn't have any issues driving home or anything. Drove around the rest of the day also. ADD?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How could I have broken the ADD it's less than 1k miles old...? How easy is it to mess up ADD? Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The clicking noise was probally your VSC (Vehicle skid control). Your ADD is more than likely not broken. I've never used ATRAC in 2WD, and I'm pretty sure it will not work in 2WD, only in 4LO. :) I assume you were in 4LOW and went to 2WD from there. Your VSC should cancel when in 4WD (HI or LOW) and be back on when in 2WD. Another thing-the ATRAC can make alot of noise when it's working correctly, and can take some getting used to!

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clicking noise was your VSC (Vehicle skid control). Your ADD is not broken. I've never used ATRAC in 2wd, and I'm pretty sure it will not work in 2wd, only in 4hi and 4lo. :)
Yes I clearly need to work on my communications skills. It was in 4LO, durrrrr, heard some clicking and promptly crawled up the hill with ease (surprised at how capable this thing is stock). Thanks for the patience this is my first 4x4, if it wasn't already obvious :lol:I should stop :cheers: and :program:while n00bing:bangin:

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
The clicking noise was your ATRAC engaging ...

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
How could I have broken the ADD it's less than 1k miles old...? How easy is it to mess up ADD? Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Its probably not, but the only way your FJ would be able to run in 2LO was if the ADD was not working, or you removed your front drive shaft.
The transfer case/drivetrain in the FJ is not capable of 2wd and LO gearing at the same time. (unless you modify it)

The ADD's actuator is not a common failure, but i have seen a handful of people on here have theirs go out.

A-TRAC only works in 4LO. I believe "TRAC" is active in 4HI?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Its probably not, but the only way your FJ would be able to run in 2LO was if the ADD was not working, or you removed your front drive shaft.
The transfer case/drivetrain in the FJ is not capable of 2wd and LO gearing at the same time. (unless you modify it)

The ADD's actuator is not a common failure, but i have seen a handful of people on here have theirs go out.

A-TRAC only works in 4LO. I believe "TRAC" is active in 4HI?
My bad Layton, ATRAC is for 4LO, not 4HI. Duhh:thinkerg:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts