Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We noticed this noise a couple weeks back. Here's how it happens

When at a stop, when we let go of the brake (in the transition from brake to gas pedal) we hear a clunk noise coming from right underneath. Has anyone else heard this noise? I will be taking it in this week hopefully. It drives just fine, no problems.
Thanks for any help

Rueben

·
Registered
831 Posts
sorry for the trouble could be loose bolts maybe? But other people will be better at diagnosing this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If it feels like someone is hitting you from behind then that is normal. Mine did it from day one. Search around in the forum and you'll find lots of posts about this.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Had the same "clunk" on my wife's 4Runner.....have it on my FJ I initially thought I had broken motor mounts but now I believe it to be the torque converter

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it feels like someone is hitting you from behind then that is normal. Mine did it from day one. Search around in the forum and you'll find lots of posts about this.
Yeah, it feels like someone just barely hitting me or soemthing like that. How the hell can that be normal?:mecry:

Well, my wife is taking it in tomorrow anyways to the shop just to be certain.

On a side note: We finally received our personal license plates! :clap:

·
Registered
831 Posts
i think you might be experiencing the fj lunge alot of people have that i have it every once and a while.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It probably is the normal clunk that alot of trucks have (unless it gets worse or you feel it in the steering wheel). My FJ also does it every once and a while, especially when i brake hard to 0 mph and then ease off the brakes. I think it is the rear drive shaft slip yoke. I dont pay much attention to it. My suburban did it for the 100k i had it and it was no big deal

·
Registered
93 Posts
Two more options...

1- Break pads slipping in calipers. This is more of a soft tick(louder with the windows open).

2- The one that I had was the lower control arms were not tight. Apparently they need to be at 100 foot lbs. Mine were not and it sounded like someone was hitting the oil pan with a small hammer when I started rolling. This one was the same volume with the windows open or closed...

This thread might answer your question too... http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/50546-clunk-front-end-fixed.html

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts