Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha everyone!

I was looking at my grille the other day to see what it would take to get it off to paint, and it turns out that I need a "clip remover". Or replacement clips, I suppose. I did some searching online and I've found a variety of different tools called "clip removers". Anyone got a picture of one or a good link?

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Largos I claim the honor of having destroyed more FJ clips than anyone. The clips are generic and will be available if you guys have a Kragen or AutoZone, etc. in Hilo.

I would forget the clip remover, just yank out the grill and if any clips have broken, you should be able to bend them back quite easily. If it's really really broken, get a replacement in town. You don't have to go to Big Island Toyota unless you want to.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
the top clips on the bezel can be popped with a small screwdriver, just pop the center up kinda by using your thumb as a fulcrum, then you can lift them out, then there are two screws that need to be removed. after that you lift up on the 2 areas where the screws were affixed, then pull forward. the clips on the bottom will pop off easily. No special tools needed.
ALOHA!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I don't know about any need for a clip remover. All we use is a flat head screw driver for the top outboard most pop-in clips (black, plastic), a large phillips head for the remaining two screws along the top (silver, metal). If I remember correctly there are two more pop-in clips on the bottom inside. Once you have these fasteners removed the whole grille/besel will pop out when pulled forward. I'd pull one side out first, then the other. The clips holding it in place arepulled out with the grille/besel.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Largos I claim the honor of having destroyed more FJ clips than anyone. The clips are generic and will be available if you guys have a Kragen or AutoZone, etc. in Hilo.

I would forget the clip remover, just yank out the grill and if any clips have broken, you should be able to bend them back quite easily. If it's really really broken, get a replacement in town. You don't have to go to Big Island Toyota unless you want to.
Turns out we do actually have a Checkers in Hilo that I didn't know about. I live over on the Kohala Coast on the western side of the island and we have a severe lack of well-stocked auto parts stores, but next time I get over to Hilo I'll have to do some window shopping...

I see that the infamy of Big Island Toyota is widespread. I just had one shipped over from Oahu instead.

Anyways, thanks for the info everyone! One of the few things I'm a bit nervous about is just yanking on things. I'm not a small guy, and in the past that has created some, shall we say, problems. :lol:

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
...If I remember correctly there are two more pop-in clips on the bottom inside...
Actually there are three. If you place the blade of a long screwdriver between the male and female parts of these white clips, and turn, they come apart very easily.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah. I haven't taken it offroad much yet, just been a bit too busy. But I've been doing little mods here and there to get familiar with the truck.

The gas is a bit to get used to, since my last car got about 34 MPG, but I knew that going into this obsession. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts