Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still carry a flip phone - yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur.....

But, my wife just got an iPhone which she brings along in the truck as well as her iPad. I've got one of those cigarette lighter plug/USB adapters but if she uses that to power something I don't have a spot to plug in my GPS power.

I installed an aftermarket Clarion stereo head unit in place of the stock Toyota radio a couple years ago. It has a plug for the old style round stereo connection plus a built in USB port. I found that I can load a bunch of songs on a thumbdrive and they play on the unit plugged into that port no problem.

My question is, do the USB ports in radios also provide power, like for charging an iPhone or are they strictly a one way read only type of plug? The owner's manual for the radio doesn't say anything about it either way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you plug the iPhone into the USB port and it indicates it is charging (the little lightning bolt shows up next to the battery indicator on the iPhone) you should be good to go. If not, then there is no power coming out of the USB. I would also assume the car needs to be running....:smile

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Most all USB ports provide some type of charging capacity. There are both 1.0 amp and 2.1 amp ports, so larger devices like iPads will need the higher current ports to charge properly, but most small devices like iPhones can charge from the 1.0 amp ports. The port on your stereo is likely a 1.0A port. Like the cutriver said, though, try it and if it works, it works. :wink

·
Registered
24 Posts
Teikas Dad, I was so impressed by the Clarion head unit and CB install that you posted on a few years ago that I went out and got exactly the same setup. The USB in your Clarion will recharge your iPhone and any device that does USB charging. It will also play the music on your iPhone while it's charging. So if you don't want to listen to music while you are charging you'll need to turn the volume down on the head unit.

What I want to try is connecting my Clarion head unit to an iPhone or tablet via Bluetooth instead of a wire. I'm thinking it would require a dongle of some kind in the Clarion's USB slot. Has anyone tried it?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks NBZero, that makes things easier to understand.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Many of the receivers with the USB ports have built-in iPod controls with the iPod plugged in. Refer to the manual for your specific receiver, but you can select the source. Just because the phone is plugged in doesn't mean that will be your only audio option. You can also play music from apps on some phones. I have an older Kenwood in my Jeep. I recently got an iPhone, so I don't know all of the nuances yet, but Spotify plays great through it. The controls on the receiver and remote work like they should: back, next, pause, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts