Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice that your FJ's 6 speed clutch requires a great deal more work and discomfort than that of most other passenger vehicles?

The preload places the initial position two inches higher than the break and the over-travel carries almost to the floor.

This morning I was able to adjust both my preload and over-travel for a far more comfortable clutch. Now I can take my foot off the clutch without my knee hitting the steering wheel and I get a positive stop without hyper extending my leg.

Over-Travel Adjustment

Step 1.
Climb into the driver side floor to locate the "clutch depressed" switch. It will be against the floor/ firewall.

This switch serves to tell the computer the clutch is engaged and allows the vehicle to start normally. When the clutch is fully depressed a green plastic plug mounted on the clutch pedal-arm presses against the "clutch depressed" switch. The nut affixing the switch in place provides the positive stop for the clutch.

Step 2.
Remove the green plug. Replace the plug with a one inch screw, two nuts and two washers. One nut goes against the screw-head followed by the washer.

Step 3.
Place the screw through the hole in the pedal-arm, previously occupied by the green plug, approaching the hole from vehicle-front to back. Place the other washer and nut on the back side of the screw. Adjust the head-side nut until the head is about 1/4" in front of the pedal arm. The screw head will now serve as the striking or contact surface for the "clutch depressed" switch and will raise your positive stop away from the floor.

Step 4.
Depress the pedal to determine the exact adjustment. Drive up and down the road shifting to make sure that the positive stop is well beyond the point at which the clutch is fully disengaged.

Preload Adjustment

Step 1.
Once you’re comfortable with the over-travel adjustment, climb back into the floor. Play with the clutch pedal, depressing and releasing until you find the "fully released" switch and the green plug that serves as the striking surface. This will be located near the return spring, toward the top of the pedal-arm.

Step 2.
Replace the green plug with another screw just as with the over-travel adjustment. This time the screw will mount top to bottom with the screw head and adjustment-nut on top, serving as the striking surface.

Step 3.
Depress and release the clutch slowly to determine where the clutch is fully disengaged and adjust the screw head just as you did previously. If you set the pedal too low, the clutch will not be fully disengaged and that will certainly destroy your throw-out bearing.

The object is to adjust the pedal placement near level with the brake pedal so the clutch can be manipulated with more of an ankle motion than a full hip-to-toe movement.

Step 4.
Again, drive up and down the road shifting to make sure that the positive stop is well beyond the point at which the clutch is fully disengaged.

I believe that proper preload adjustment is more critical than the over-travel adjustment. It is easy to feel the point at which the clutch resistance decreases and the over-travel begins. It is not so easy to determine a safe clutch-release adjustment.

Once I felt comfortable that my preload adjustment was accurate from road testing, I went to the trail. On a moderate incline I shifted into LL and released the clutch. While idling up the hill I depressed the brake. RPMs did not rise, the engine did not rev, the FJ continued to climb. I now feel confident that the clutch is fully released and the vehicle is completely in gear.

So far the clutch feels much more comfortable, it starts lower and stops higher with the engage/ disengage threshold perfectly in the center. I’ll give an update after I’ve driven it for a few days.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Found this while searching for clutch solutions... anyone ever try this? OP 1st post and never heard of again?

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Never heard of it.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Yeah... seems odd. But, was thinking that it might work. You do have to lift your leg quite a bit before she engages. Interesting 1st post nonetheless. :)

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Something to look at, but I don't really want to mess with it as the FJ is my daily driver.
Knowing my luck I'll break a small integral component that takes 6 weeks to bring in.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Seems strange to make such a good write-up and then disappear. Especially after he mentioned giving an update. Maybe his clutch pedal jammed at an inopportune moment and sent him careening over a cliff ......

·
Registered
4,894 Posts

Seems strange to make such a good write-up and then disappear. Especially after he mentioned giving an update. Maybe his clutch pedal jammed at an inopportune moment and sent him careening over a cliff ......

Too funny! :rofl: That is a very good point. :thinkerg:

Ummmm... I guess my clutch is good. :scared:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts