Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just picked up my 2010 FJ TTSE with a 6-speed manual transmission. I've been driving manual transmission cars all my life, and I've never had one like this. Whats the normal travel for the clutch pedal? In every other car I've ever had I usually press the clutch all the way to the floor, in my new FJ, it seems like I can press the clutch in about 2 or 3 inches and it disengages the gears. Is this normal for an FJ? I have no idea when or if the clutch was done, is there any way to check the clutch? I know it has a slight leak from the transfer case (I took it to Toyota before I bought it, the technician let me look under the car and pointed it out, suggested a new front and rear main seal) If I'm going to fix the leak, I figured I may as well do a clutch job all at the same time.

Whats the normal clutch pedal travel? It just seems too short to me. Truck has 151K by the way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey all,

I just picked up my 2010 FJ TTSE with a 6-speed manual transmission. I've been driving manual transmission cars all my life, and I've never had one like this. Whats the normal travel for the clutch pedal? In every other car I've ever had I usually press the clutch all the way to the floor, in my new FJ, it seems like I can press the clutch in about 2 or 3 inches and it disengages the gears. Is this normal for an FJ? I have no idea when or if the clutch was done, is there any way to check the clutch? I know it has a slight leak from the transfer case (I took it to Toyota before I bought it, the technician let me look under the car and pointed it out, suggested a new front and rear main seal) If I'm going to fix the leak, I figured I may as well do a clutch job all at the same time.

Whats the normal clutch pedal travel? It just seems too short to me. Truck has 151K by the way.
2011 6MT here with 46,000 on the clock, now 56k. Drove two mazda protege five-speeds prior to this for 16 years combined, and I can understand your question! My mazdas would engage almost immediately after the clutch pedal being floored. The FJ doesn't engage until like the last 20 percent of clutch pedal travel.

I've put 10k miles on this truck city/highway and I think its just the nature of the beast. Had my dad drive it and he noted the same thing. I have not driven another FJ 6MT but I bet we all have something in common.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell if I like it or not, makes me feel like a moron every time I try to feel it engage 1st while slowly picking the pedal up from the floor. Makes shifting and downshifting from 2nd to 6th a breeze though. Guess it's just something else to get used to.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I can pull my FJ out of gear with the clutch about half way down to the floor without it causing any problems. I also notice it likes to slot into the next gear by itself if I put a small amount of pressure on the stick and let the clutch out a little early by accident. A possible way to test your clutch is to drive up to about 30 MPH and put it into 5th or 6th and floor it. Supposedly, that can help diagnose if your clutch is slipping and in need of replacement. You want the engine to be really bogged down for some reason that I can't recall at the moment...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts