Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Fellow Fj Lovers,

For the FJ experts out there. I am going to buy the Internal Hydraulic Throwout for my TRD. The clutch I think is good but since it has 170K miles do you think it is better if I change the clutch as well? URD or Cluthmasters?

I am looking at URD Stage 3 ... what is the difference from Stage 1? Sorry for the newbie questions.
Also, I am buying the Performance Internal Hydraulic Throwout Release Bearing from ClutchMasters Attached is the picture of what I am seeking to buy.

I would love to hear your suggestions

·
Desert Moderator
6,655 Posts
Definitely change the clutch while you're in there.
Clutchmasters internal slave kit is good. Should be no need to replace the flywheel. Just the pressure plate & clutch plate (I used stock parts for those).

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
^^^ Agreed. Resurface the fly wheel. I'm at 180K mi on the stock clutch and will replace with OEM with the exception of the Clutchmasters Internals Slave kit.

·
Desert Moderator
6,655 Posts
^^^ Agreed. Resurface the fly wheel. I'm at 180K mi on the stock clutch and will replace with OEM with the exception of the Clutchmasters Internals Slave kit.
Yep. Like I've said a couple of times, the stock clutch was about 3/4 gone in mine after 130,000 km and I don't mind that it gives a bit of slippage under huge load - I see that as preferable to loading up the rest of the drive train and possibly breaking something further back - I'll take an occasional slip thank you.
The only reason that I had mine apart was because the bad thrust bearing / arm design - the diaphragm fingers were almost completely worn through on one side.
If I can get another 130-150,000 km out of the new clutch, then I'll be fine with dropping another stock clutch in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just purchased a Stage 3+ SPEC clutch and Clutch masters internal TO bearing. ill be doing a write up when I change it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts