Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2010 Trail Teams for close to 5 years now, and have personally put 72,000 miles on it. Just rolled over 220K a few weeks ago. Funny thing is, as soon as I rolled over 220k, I started getting the dreaded throw out bearing squeak/squeal. It's something I was hoping I'd never have to deal with, but here we are. :rolleyes:

So I started doing some research, I always told myself if I ever had to replace the clutch or TOB, I'd go with a URD setup, hoping I could get my hands on their hydraulic unit that replaces the faulty factory TOB. But it seems like almost all clutches are sold out on their website, or at least they were when I was shopping for one, so in more searching I found Clutch Masters. After a through forum search both here and in the Tacoma forums, I found a few people that installed the Clutch Masters hydraulic TOB setup and heard good things about it. I liked the idea of completely replacing the failing (and honestly, badly designed) stock setup, getting the bearing off the aluminum quill of the transmission bell housing. So after a few days of deep thinking and careful consideration, I ordered an internal hydraulic TOB unit and FX100 series clutch from Clutch Masters. I was originally going to go with a stock clutch, but I have a lot of extra weight bolted to my truck so I wanted something a little heavier than stock, and I like the idea of having both the clutch and TOB unit manufactured by the same company, and in the USA.

I also bought a new flywheel, flywheel bolts, rear main seal, transfer case seals and exhaust seals and hardware. I never want to drop the transmission out of the truck again (at least not until the clutch wears out in another 100,000+ miles) so I figured I'd replace as much as I could while I have it out. I plan on doing this whole job myself (with the help of a few friends paid in a free lunch and beers) as I have access to a shop with a lift for the weekend. I know there are already write ups and youtube videos on how to replace the clutch, but I haven't seen much on the Clutch Masters internal hydro bearing yet, so I plan on taking lots of photos while I'm doing this job and I'll give a through review of everything once its done and I'm able to drive it around a bit. So far from just inspecting the parts I got in from Clutch Masters everything seems to be of really good quality and the fit and finish of the hydraulic bearing seems to be really good. I must say the $475 price tag seemed a bit steep, but the quality definitely seems worth it. (hint: use code TcmaWrld to save $100 if you're buying a hydro bearing and clutch at the same time)

My FJ is my daily, and also my overland rig. I enjoy weekends out on the trails and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new clutch and hydro bearing perform!

Does anyone here have this same setup? any tips on install? My FJ has never been in the hands of a mechanic for anything as I do all my own work, but I'll admit this will be the biggest job I've ever attempted on a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
there are a LOT of threads here on this topic

My key takeaways after reading all of them:
- URD doesn't make their kit any more, because it didn't work
- the clutch masters kit works, and is readily available
- you can use OEM clutch with it just fine

There is a big thread documenting the Clutch Masters kit here:

Norm

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there are already a lot of threads about this here, but I figured I'd add one more. Just wanted to give my experience with it so others can see.

So, the whole install took me around 10 hours, and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The TOB was almost completely seized and I'm surprised it didn't fall apart before I was able to get in there and change it. Overall I'm happy with the Clutch Masters setup... but I do have something unexpected to report.

I'm 200 miles into the break in period, babying the clutch and hydraulic TOB as much as I can while daily driving it, making sure not to double clutch or downshift and keeping it under 60mph and 3000rpm when I can.
A rattling noise started. At first I didn't pay too much attention to it because it would come and go. But now it's definitely more prominent, and only while in neutral and the clutch isn't engaged. So when the TOB is resting against the fingers of the pressure plate, something is rattling. I crawled under the truck today while it was running and confirmed that it wasn't a loose exhaust shield or something I forgot to secure. It's definitely either the clutch, or internal throw out bearing thats making noise.

I'm trying not to get mad or freak out, but I hate rattles in the truck. I'm going to continue driving it and wait until the recommended break in period is over and see if the noise goes away, for right now I'll blame it on a new clutch and TOB in hopes it goes away. I dropped close to $1,200 on the whole setup and at that price it should be flawless.

I only saw a few people having issues with the Clutch Masters setups, and I'm hoping I'm not going to be the next one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I like the little note that you left for yourself, on the inside of your bell housing!

Awesome photo of the clutch spinning with it in place, that rules out something (like one of the hoses) rubbing against it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts