Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
cnckart - how did you run your Knight Rider LED mod wiring through your hood? I see that you popped the wiring for the controller behind the plastic attachment and into the pre-existing hole, but what about the 12V dc wiring?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
I just ran the red straight to the battery (fused) although it probably doesn't need it, and then just run the black wire to ground.:cheers:

Edit: The power goes to the controll box, the ribbon wire that is run with the lights comes out of the controll box and so it carries the power as well.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I got new lights!:clap: Replaced my fence pole light bar and vatozone lights.

Here is the old stuff.

PC180527 by cnckart, on Flickr

New stuff
New air dam with no light bar required, and some 4" HID lights. I am so stoked on how this came out. This is my prototype dam, I'll get a nice powder coated one on there once they go into production.

100_1168 by cnckart, on Flickr

100_1175 by cnckart, on Flickr

100_1177 by cnckart, on Flickr

100_1174 by cnckart, on Flickr

I also have some tantrum rock lights to install when I gut my interior to run all of my camera cables. I'm going to have a lot of lights!:cheers:

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
Looks great! If I didn't have lights/air dam I would pick one up from you.

I just put on some PIAA fogs, just need to finish wiring them. I really need to update my build page.

Can't wait to get the links you sent on. It's been hard to get in much build time lately!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
The new air dam looks great Brad - nice work as usual.

:cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Great looking rig Brad! Have you done anymore in the last while? I love this, I can mod, in my mind, vicariously through these builds

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Great looking rig Brad! Have you done anymore in the last while? I love this, I can mod, in my mind, vicariously through these builds
Thank you!:cheers: This is about where it sits right now. This spring its getting a roof basket, rock lights, an 8 camera self spotting/video capture system, an amp, a sub, a hard wired power inverter, a dust light and some reverse flood lights. Probably also finally get a winch, and might crank up the coil overs and get some new shoes. We'll have to see about the last part.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
An 8 camera self spotting/video capture system?

Wow, details please. :)

-

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Not neccessarily. Basically each monitor gives the option to display 1,2, or 4 cameras (without the external switches like your setup - these are integrated into the monitors)...all depends on the situation. Majority of the time one of the monitors will be a dedicated rearview cam for daily driving.

I'm intrigued to see how cnckart sets his up. Still debating if I have a need for a georeferenced DVR or not....leaning towards no at this point.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)
An 8 camera self spotting/video capture system?

Wow, details please. :)-

It's still being pieced together, but here is what I'm doing:
8 of these cameras
Amazon.com: XO Vision HTC35 Universal Weatherproof Vehicle Backup Camera with Easy Installation and NightVision: Electronics

One in the front bumper as an approach cam, one in each front wheel well as suspension action/self spotting. This will be determined on how they are aimed. One on the air dam facing forward, one in each rear wheel well facing down, one facing out the rear of the back bumper, and one off my cross member to watch the rear axle do all of it's work.

They will be run through a pair of rotary switches that will let me choose which cameras are active. These will be recorded by a 4 channel DVR
Mini 4-CH Real-Time Video Camera DVR Security Recorder - eBay (item 150386488299 end time Dec-30-10 11:16:22 PST)

In hind sight I should have gotten the eight channel because I could record on every camera at the same time.

It will all be monitored by this:

100_1136 by cnckart, on Flickr
Purchased off ebay a while ago, can't find one on there now.
Still need to figure it all out but it should turn out pretty sweet.

Look forward to seeing how the video system turns out. I'm in the process of installing a 12 camera system with 3 quad display monitors.
I would love to hear about your set up. Where are you placing all of your cameras?:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Not neccessarily. Basically each monitor gives the option to display 1,2, or 4 cameras (without the external switches like your setup - these are integrated into the monitors)...all depends on the situation. Majority of the time one of the monitors will be a dedicated rearview cam for daily driving.

I'm intrigued to see how cnckart sets his up. Still debating if I have a need for a georeferenced DVR or not....leaning towards no at this point.
Ok that makes sense. I found, with 4 screens running you get a bit distracted . Luckily 2 are over the passenger, I can just focus on the utility version of rock spotting on my bank of screens . It sounds exciting. I can't wait to see it
thanks
Don
Sorry for the hi-jack Brad :jester:

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Tentative Plan is listed below. I'll have one monitor setup by Thursday and will be taking a road trip to see how they perform over the holidays.

Monitor 1:
1. Forward View from roof
2. Rear view from roof
3. Front Bumper approach view
4. Rear bumper approach view

That would allow me to use 1 & 2 when on the highway or at high speeds then switch to 3 & 4 for rock crawling.

Monitor 2:
1. Driverside Blind Spot (basically function as side view mirror)
2. Passenger Side Blind Spot
3. DS Rock Spotter
4. PS Rock Spotter

Monitor 3:

1. Rear Axle Cam
2. ??? Possibly Forward looking Cam on Driverside of FJ (view clearance of narrow passages
3. ??? Passenger side forward cam setup like #2.
4. ??? Not sure (2-4 are all up in the air on this monitor)

How do you plan on setting your cameras up cnc?

81 - 100 of 324 Posts