Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a new powertank this week and I was anxious to learn how to use it, thankfully they provide detailed instructions. I was however, having a hard time finding a place to fill it up. I tried some welding supply places, some fire extinguisher places but they either wanted to exchange tanks or had odd hours that I had a hard time meeting.

Now, you guys may already know this but it was news to me. Two Bucks Beverage Center http://www.twobucksliquor.com/ on 35 near 20 will refill your 10 pound tank for 15 bucks. I see this as multiple wins for the FJ crowd.

1. Umm its a liquor store
2. The hours (M-Sat 10A-9P)
3. Cheaper than I was quoted from a fire extinguisher place
4. They sell alcohol and by the looks of it, lots.

Now the alcohol thing isn't for me but judging by some of the pics I've seen from several meet and greets....well...yeah.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always good to know another place, thanks.

FWIW, I get mine filled at the welding supply place in Weatherford and it's usually $11-13, depending on how much C02 they can get in it (how cool/warm the tank is).
Thanks Lee. I did a search for filling places a few days ago and I saw generic suggestions but I didn't see any specific places mentioned. I'm sure it's out there but my forum search-fu could use an 80's training montage.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
I have been getting my refills at Airgas, on Joe Field Rd/Harry Hines in Dallas, for about $13.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been getting my refills at Airgas, on Joe Field Rd/Harry Hines in Dallas, for about $13.
Yeah Airgas Southwest was the first place I called. That location told me that they don't do daily refills and didn't have a set schedule when they did.
The guy I spoke to was the one who pointed me to Two Bucks tho so I was happy for that.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Now, you guys may already know this but it was news to me. Two Bucks Beverage Center http://www.twobucksliquor.com/ on 35 near 20 will refill your 10 pound tank for 15 bucks....
Thanks for the info. This is closer to me than the AirGas place I've been using. :clap:

Me too...

Yeah Airgas Southwest was the first place I called. That location told me that they don't do daily refills and didn't have a set schedule when they did.
The guy I spoke to was the one who pointed me to Two Bucks tho so I was happy for that.
I've tried several Airgas locations around DFW and the one on Joe Field Road and Harry Hines in Dallas is the only one I've found that will refill my tank.

I'll throw in some unsolicited advice to all who have tanks refilled. Get yourself a reasonable portable scale (like a fish scale) and weigh you tank when you pick it up. One place that I used would consistently only put 6-7 pounds in my 10lb tank; not too big of a deal but annoying. Another place once put 15lbs of C02 into my 10lb tank. It wasn't a problem while the tank was so cold; but once home and it started soaking heat in my 105 degree summer garage, the safety valve blew out and the tank became rocket/pinball around my garage floor... I hadn't weighed the tank when I picked it up but after it blew I looked at the receipt and they had plainly written that they'd put 15 lbs of C02 in the tank... Scary!

Thanks again for business location klamer,

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I'll throw in some unsolicited advice to all who have tanks refilled. Get yourself a reasonable portable scale (like a fish scale) and weigh you tank when you pick it up. One place that I used would consistently only put 6-7 pounds in my 10lb tank; not too big of a deal but annoying. Another place once put 15lbs of C02 into my 10lb tank. It wasn't a problem while the tank was so cold; but once home and it started soaking heat in my 105 degree summer garage, the safety valve blew out and the tank became rocket/pinball around my garage floor... I hadn't weighed the tank when I picked it up but after it blew I looked at the receipt and they had plainly written that they'd put 15 lbs of C02 in the tank... Scary!
Good advice Ron.

FYI, they're not supposed to put the full 10 lbs. in unless the tank is cold. They're supposed to fill it by pressure not weight, for safety. So if you get your tank filled in the summer, it's not going to have 10 lbs. in it. If you need every last puff of gas like for a long wheeling trip, then put your tank in the freezer overnight before having it filled.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the safety valve blew out and the tank became rocket/pinball around my garage floor...
My pleasure Ron, thank you for this...^ I hadn't thought to secure the tank while in the garage but after reading that I'm going to arrange something.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you need every last puff of gas like for a long wheeling trip, then put your tank in the freezer overnight before having it filled.

Back when I was a paintballer, when our tanks were low we'd just rapidly empty the remaining gas which would cool down the tank right before we refilled it. Now those were 7 and 10 ounce tanks so I don't know how effective that method would work with a 10 pound tank.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Thanks, guys.
Lots of good things to consider when planning for my hopefully-soon-to-arrive tank.
Glad I tuned in.

Something else....
as for pounds/pressure/safety, etc, is there anything that one has to know when filling in different altitudes, and/or filling in one altitude - say, high up in Colorado - and then taking the tank on a road trip to a low place like Texas (or vice-versa)?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Something else....
as for pounds/pressure/safety, etc, is there anything that one has to know when filling in different altitudes, and/or filling in one altitude - say, high up in Colorado - and then taking the tank on a road trip to a low place like Texas (or vice-versa)?
No worries Steven, the tank can handle it.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
No worries Steven, the tank can handle it.
OK, cool.

So, the temperature of the tank itself really has that much more of an effect (i.e. the stories above) on the pressure inside the tank than the actual air pressure on the outside of the tank in the location where the tank gets filled?

Interesting.

Not that I had ever thought of it before, or that I think it should be another way....just interesting.....I like thinking about minute, probably irrelevant details sometimes (I got an extra does of curiosity in my genes I guess).

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
OK, cool.

So, the temperature of the tank itself really has that much more of an effect (i.e. the stories above) on the pressure inside the tank than the actual air pressure on the outside of the tank in the location where the tank gets filled?

Interesting.
Bingo.

Remember the ideal gas law from college physics or chemistry?
pV=nRT, or solving for p,

p=nRT/V

Temperature has a large impact, being in the numerator. By contrast, the difference in atmospheric external pressure between sea level and 14,000 feet is relatively insignificant.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Remember the ideal gas law from college physics or chemistry?
Nope....never had that privilege. I did not take advantage of my folks' offer to pay for college (was so sick of school and had no interest in learning back then). So, I missed out.

Thanks, Lee.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Nope....never had that privilege. I did not take advantage of my folks' offer to pay for college (was so sick of school and had no interest in learning back then). So, I missed out.

Thanks, Lee.
No problem Steeven. I am a high-school drop-out myself, and went to college later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts