Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but couldn't find anything on this. I have carried CO2 while mountain biking for a few years now and recently purchased a 10lb tank for my FJ (thanks TRDparts4u:bigthumb:). Before I switched to tubless (amazing difference for you mountain bikers) I would need to fill up my tire with a compressor shortly after getting back from the trail if I had a flat and used the CO2 to refill. Is this normal? I haven't used it with the FJ yet but I am curious. Basically, does CO2 lose pressure and need to be refilled faster than regular air? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a search but couldn't find anything on this. I have carried CO2 while mountain biking for a few years now and recently purchased a 10lb tank for my FJ (thanks TRDparts4u:bigthumb:). Before I switched to tubless (amazing difference for you mountain bikers) I would need to fill up my tire with a compressor shortly after getting back from the trail if I had a flat and used the CO2 to refill. Is this normal? I haven't used it with the FJ yet but I am curious. Basically, does CO2 lose pressure and need to be refilled faster than regular air? Thanks!
Yes, I've the exact same experience. Tire fill with CO2 lost air much faster than regular air. The same happens to my truck tire, mountain bike tire and road bike tire. Not sure why no body talks about this. I don't use CO2 for tires anymore. I keep the CO2 for air tools only.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I have used C02 for years in all of my tires, and I do not see a pressure loss greater than air.

Here are some facts on C02 from Powertank's FAQ
POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems
Q: “Will CO2 leak out of my tires faster than air?”
A: No. The CO2 molecule is larger than a nitrogen molecule which is 78% of air.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
When you add CO2, chances are your tires are hot from running the trail. Make sure when you check your pressure at a later date it's checked when the tire is at relatively the same temperature. Pressure is lower when temperature is lower.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Ever since I got my PowerTank, I've been using it to inflate my FJ tires (BFG TAs) and I've noticed a fairly rapid rate of deflation (5 lbs w/in a month or 2), which requires me to reinflate them more frequently that when I was using an air compressor. BTW, I only inflate my tires when they're cold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts