Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE:
Inflator/Gauge: This is the gauge I got
Tank Storage: here's what I did (well, what my father-in-law did) for storing the tank

ORIGINAL POST:
I just ordered a CO2 tank (from forum vendor ToyTec here in Colorado). It hasn't arrived yet, but there are two things I'm going to need help with...

1. Inflator with gauge

I know that it doesn't have a gauge....it has a non-adjustable regulator, and that's fine for me, but I want to have a gauge on the end so I can see how much pressure is resulting in the tires when I fill them up and so I don't have to keep stopping the filling, checking with my separate gauge and then going back to filling.

I've seen various kinds around, and I'd like to get something that has a round gauge with a needle - instead of the kind at service stations that have the slide-out gadget.

So, what kind do you have? What kind have you used? What kind is best for this type of application?

Of course, I will eventually just get the best kind of equipment in every category, but along the way, I just do what I can, and in this particular tool search, I'm looking at the objects that are in the $10-30 range.....not the big-time, most appropriate, really perfect solutions.

2. Storage/Placement Advice

Well, my father-in-law helped me design and build a storage shelf in the rear cargo area when we were there for X-mas (LINK), but I totally forgot (even though JammerGirl tried to remind me about it as we were going into the project) to include some design modifications with the eventual CO2 tank in mind.

Now that the tank has been ordered, I need to figure out how I am going to fit it in back there.

In the meantime, I can just set it on the back seat, and make it work, but it would be nice to have a more permanent place for it in the rear cargo area.

With seeing how the new rear cargo area storage shelf is constructed, what are your best ideas for how to modify it to enable me to store the CO2 tank back there on trail runs and road trips?

I won't have a bracket or anything else to start with, and I don't have a big budget for this. So, whatever I do will need to be either easily hand-crafted or very inexpensive (I know it's an impossible order, but I'm just asking in case I can put something together).

I would be fine with cutting the current storage shelf thingy or whatever needs to be done to get it to fit in there....it's a common 10lb container.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would not just place it in the back seat that thing is a death trap if you get in an accident or roll. What I do is squeeze it between the passenger front and back seat. Lean the passenger seat back a touch and it isnt coming out of there. fits like a glove

just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not just place it in the back seat that thing is a death trap if you get in an accident or roll. What I do is squeeze it between the passenger front and back seat. Lean the passenger seat back a touch and it isnt coming out of there. fits like a glove

just my 2 cents
Indeed. I only meant that the back seat area in the sense of generally where it would reside until I have the rear cargo area reconstructed for this thing to fit. I will definitely find a good way of securing it, wherever it sits, temporary and permanent. Thanks.

I agree with above on not having it just chilling on the seat. I'd have it strapped down securely in case of a freak accident, if that thing hits your dome you are done.

With the bracket that came with my Source tank, the aluminum bar cost me 3 bucks or so, and the hardware was around 2-3 bucks, so about 5-6 bucks total.

Cargo area mount:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/59758-how-install-co2-tank-rear.html
The only problem is that mine is not a standard situation. Did you go and look at the photos by clicking on the link to my page about it in the OP?

It's cheap and it works well. Many of us have these. It clips on to the valve stem so you don't have to hold it on. Just squeeze the trigger to fill, let off the trigger to read the pressure, and press the button on the side to let some air out if you overfill.

Click the pic to see where we got ours.

What picture?
There's nothing there in your post....

....wait......now that I'm in the response editing page, I can see some extra text in your post that wasn't visible when reading your post in the thread......what's up with that?

Well, I don't know what was up with that, but you mean this right?...

Tire Inflator/Gauge

That's pretty cheap.....just right for me, and there's one fairly close by so I can get it on my way hoe from work.

Is that one good enough....i.e. I've heard people complain a lot about stuff from Harbor Freight.....is there any reason I should spend another 10-15 and get a better quality one, or are they all pretty much going to be the same deal, just about how much I want to spend?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I guess I have the inflator piece figured out.

Anyone want to try their hand at giving me advice on fitting the tank in there (please see page linked above to see what my rear cargo area is like...it's not standard....Oh...OK, here's the link again....LINK)

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
What is the distance (x) between the left hand edge of your shelf to the interior plastic?

|
| x
____|------------

What type of mounting bracket did you purchase with the tank? Could you adjust your shelf to fit around the tank?

I have a vertical mount, Powertank has one that mounts at an angle as well.

Not sure if this helps.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the distance (x) between the left hand edge of your shelf to the interior plastic?

|
| x
____|------------

What type of mounting bracket did you purchase with the tank? Could you adjust your shelf to fit around the tank?

I have a vertical mount, Powertank has one that mounts at an angle as well.

Not sure if this helps.
Hi, Joe. Thanks.

I did not get a bracket with the tank. So, I'm on my own on that one.

I don't have all of the dimensions with me, but I can measure at lunch time.
Were you thinking of maybe putting it under the shelf?

I might want to try the angle type mount and see if I can get it to fit to the left of the shelf (opposite of where the sub woofer is) and avoid cutting it, but I kinda doubt it will fit like that. So if need be, I'd be willing to cut it to fit. ...if it comes to that, I'll just have to figure out the best way to cut into it and leave the rest of the structure in good enough shape to still be solid.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking of putting it vertically between your shelf and the interior plastic.
Aha....I don't think it will fit there without cutting the shelf.
I will check though....obviously, if it does, that's the ideal location and position....I'm just preparing myself for the possibility that it won't fit there like that and wanting to have some ideas ready for when it arrives.

I will check the links you gave for brackets, etc.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Steven,
I like what you've done with the back of your rig. Don't forget that if you store your CO2 tank on it's side, you'll have to stand it up before you use it...

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steven,
I like what you've done with the back of your rig. Don't forget that if you store your CO2 tank on it's side, you'll have to stand it up before you use it...
Doh!

Wow, that's a good point. Thanks, Lou.

So, what about tilted at an angle?

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I think that works, I'd check their web site, or their Powertanks' as I'm sure there is an angle at which it won't work.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Doh!

Wow, that's a good point. Thanks, Lou.

So, what about tilted at an angle?
Depends on the angle.

Unless it was near empty, i wouldn't use it at much of any angle at all. Unless you like liquid CO2 spewing out everywhere.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I believe that you could use a quick fist clamp and either screw it flat on top of the shelf laying the bottle on its side or using one of the side bolts like Layonnn used. This one is good for 9" diameter and holds 50lbs. Cost is $11.00. They have more choices.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wow...I have no idea what happened to my post from earlier this morning, but I'll try again...

I think that works, I'd check their web site, or their Powertanks' as I'm sure there is an angle at which it won't work.
Depends on the angle.

Unless it was near empty, i wouldn't use it at much of any angle at all. Unless you like liquid CO2 spewing out everywhere.
I really don't want to have to take this thing out every time I have to air up....I just want to leave it sit in there and have a long enough hose to get around to all tires.

So, I guess, if it must be installed completely vertical, I will make whatever necessary modifications to the shelf.

On that note, as I was browsing to try to find a good bracket this morning, I noticed this page on the site of the makers of the Source tanks...

OffRoadAir Source Mounting Ideas

On that page, it shows at least a couple setups where the tank is on its side.....and it looks like it's being used that way.

Does anyone have any idea if they have a specific kind of tank that can work like that, or are the photos just misleading, and they're not actually using it in that position, and it's just like that for travel, and they take it out to use it vertically?

p.s. I sent them an e-mail to get their take on it.

Doh! :p
I just looked at their FAQ, and saw this...

10. How can the SOURCE™ be mounted?
Mount the SOURCE™ in any position. The brackets are drilled on the base & back plates to permit many options. However, note the SOURCE™ must be at least 30 degrees upright angle to work correctly. Its recommended that you mount in a vertical position to limit unnecessary handling before use.

So, I guess that means the photos were just showing the tank in mounted position.....either that, or they're using it incorrectly.

Also, I got a response from 'the Source' makers,
"You must keep the cylinder in the vertical position in order to use correctly."

So, that settles it.
I will definitely be mounting it vertical, one way or another.

Thanks, all on that part.
Now to figure out how to get that accomplished.

I believe that you could use a quick fist clamp and either screw it flat on top of the shelf laying the bottle on its side or using one of the side bolts like Layonnn used. This one is good for 9" diameter and holds 50lbs. Cost is $11.00. They have more choices.

Thanks, bro.
I will check on this one.

By the way, thanks, MrBigAxe,
I ended up picking up one of these from Harbor Freight, like you suggested.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Personally, I would not trust a super quickfist to hold a CO2 tank in the event of an accident.

This would be one case where I would not pinch pennies...invest in a decent CO2 tank holder like the one made by powertank (I am sure there are other manufacturers as well.

That 35 pound CO2 tank could make a pretty big dent in your head if it cuts loose in an accident.

Doc

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally, I would not trust a super quickfist to hold a CO2 tank in the event of an accident.

This would be one case where I would not pinch pennies...invest in a decent CO2 tank holder like the one made by powertank (I am sure there are other manufacturers as well.

That 35 pound CO2 tank could make a pretty big dent in your head if it cuts loose in an accident.

Doc

Ya, you're right.
That's the kind of brackets I've been looking into, and haven't been looking to pinch pennies in that area either.

I mean, if something that's good enough for the task happens to be less expensive than the other guy's product, I'll consider that, but not if it's flimsy or whatever.

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts