Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size tank works the best for tires and air tools and for keeping in the back and mounting. 20lb, 15lb, or 10lb tanks. About to purchase a powertank setup and would like to get some opinions on these.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
It depends on your needs.

Do you air up your tire often? Do you run your air tool often?

Most places filling up the 10/15/20lb tank cost about the same, since you are paying for the fill up and not the CO2 itself..

I believe there are also other threads where people post info on how long their ??lb tank last.. you might have to dig around to find that.

We run a 10lb tank because it's small, I can fill 8-9 stock size tires from 18PSI to 40PSI plus some random CO2 fun, we dont do a lot of airing up/down so that works for us.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
10lb tanks are the easiest to mount and fit, but if you air up tires and run tools, it'll be too small for you.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
This might be helpful --> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/45030-does-size-matter-power-tank.html

I ended up going with a 10 lb tank. If you plan to use it for air tools as well I would get a 20lb one. I get about 9-10 tires aired back up on my 10 lb tank, the last couple go slow.
Josh, that's all you get out of a 10lb tank? I get at least twice that-easily. Btw, Mbisson posted a new place to fill up in Hemet. Great price too. I'm guessing the last time they filled up your tank they didn't fill up 10lbs.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Josh, that's all you get out of a 10lb tank? I get at least twice that-easily. Btw, Mbisson posted a new place to fill up in Hemet. Great price too. I'm guessing the last time they filled up your tank they didn't fill up 10lbs.
Ya Mike called me and told me that the place I used wasn't filling them any more. But he found a better place.

Na it was filled all the way. Both times I have had it filled I got about the same amount out of it. First time was less since I used it to set the bead on a tire on the Mojave road. Maybe I have a little leak, I will check all my joints and re-tape them. :) That would be sweet if I could get 18-20 fills.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Ya Mike called me and told me that the place I used wasn't filling them any more. But he found a better place.

Na it was filled all the way. Both times I have had it filled I got about the same amount out of it. First time was less since I used it to set the bead on a tire on the Mojave road. Maybe I have a little leak, I will check all my joints and re-tape them. :) That would be sweet if I could get 18-20 fills.
I guess I should ask how much you're filling up and what size was your tire. I'd assumed that you were airing up 20psi and have a 285 size tire.

For the OP, this chart helps in determining what size you may need.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
I guess I should ask how much you're filling up and what size was your tire. I'd assumed that you were airing up 20psi and have a 285 size tire.

For the OP, this chart helps in determining what size you may need.
Yep I normally go up 20psi+ (15/18-35/40) in a 285/75/16 so I am about right then based on the chart. Nice to know mine is in jacked up. :)

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Good info here.

I have a 10 lbs tank and a 20 lbs tank. The 20 lbs tank is better for running air tools as Josh said, but for most applications, the 10 lbs tank is sufficient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts