Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I might finally get an opportunity to fulfill a goal of mine and drive across the US (West to East and back after some time on the East coast).

When I first thought about this, I would have never imagined doing it in anything like an FJ Cruiser; but now that I have one, I can't imagine doing it in anything BUT my FJ Cruiser. My 1,500 mi. solo trip to Death Valley made me realize that the FJ is a great vehicle not only off road, but also on the highway and that, for a guy with a demanding job and family, long solo drives (esp. with some off road thrown in) are a great way to relax and get away from it all.

I am planning to take about 4 weeks for the whole thing. Do the long drive by myself. Meet my family on the East Coast, spend some time there, then drive back by myself.

I am going to leave from the San Francisco Bay Area, must stop in South Carolina (relatives), and want to stop in NY (which I want to see with my family). Other than that, I am pretty open to any route (two routes actually: West to East and East to West).

Which leads me to the question: Any suggestions for routes that take advantage of the FJ capabilities to go almost anywhere. Any off-road spots along the way I should not miss?

I am looking for a maximum of 10 days in each direction which should allow for some nice off-roading breaks.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Alberto

PS Links to videos of my FJ solo trip to Death Valley for those of you who might have not seen them.

"Fun" FJ + Death Valley video (Parody of Survivorman)

"Serious" FJ + Death Valley video

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
sounds like a blast, i would love to do that

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
gotta see hawks nest in port jervis ny, great pictures , high on cliffs above delaware river, they do alot of car ads there cause of winding roads and scenery, call me and we will hook up its only 20 minutes north of where i am , im in dingmans ferry northeast pa alond delaware river

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotta see hawks nest in port jervis ny, great pictures , high on cliffs above delaware river, they do alot of car ads there cause of winding roads and scenery, call me and we will hook up its only 20 minutes north of where i am , im in dingmans ferry northeast pa alond delaware river
Thanks, it would be fun to meet other FJ owners along the way.

Alberto

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this trip well. I use to live in Monterey there a couple hours south of the city then I moved to Maryland then I moved back to Monterey and now I'm in Maryland again, I'm officially a gypsy now :). But seriously I took the southern route and the northern route. I think if you are looking to relax go the northern route through the top of Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Illinois, Ohio, West Virginia, then down to NC. I took the southern route twice only cause I had to go through Texas and the is the worst state in the union to drive through, you think it's never going to end and when it does you are just pissed off you had to drive through that state. The northern route has a lot more wilderness and everything is spread out plenty of places to just pull off to hit up some trails. The only bad part is driving through Iowa, Nebraska. I don't think I had to turn the wheel more than three times in those states. If you have any questions just let me know. I've gotten plenty of miles under my belt in the last 4 years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.... If you have any questions just let me know. I've gotten plenty of miles under my belt in the last 4 years.
Thanks! I will take you up on it as the time draws nearer. The comments about the North and South routes are EXACTLY the kind of suggestions I am looking for.

Alberto

·
Registered
164 Posts
DUDE!!! doing the same trip except east to west. Leaving Annapolis MD and ending up somewhere in California. I just bought my FJ 4 months ago and decided to take it on this road trip. Im leaving mid June and taking my time since ill be off from college. If you go out east be sure to hit up Coca Cola drive in baltimore and Rausch Creek in PA. Anything out their i should go to?
-mark

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
That's a coincidence. I'm planning drive x-country from SF to DC then up to New England and back through Canada, but, given the length, it will probably take me 6-8 weeks (in April-June) to do it instead. Have fun on your trip!

Haven't planned out a route yet, but will keep an eye on this thread for ideas. The only thing I'm sure about is that I want to visit DC to visit my sister and her family, stop off at West Point (where my brother-in-law is buried) and in Cooperstown to visit the Hall of Fame and (after a side trip up as far as Nova Scotia or Labrador) head back to SF via Ottawa, Montreal & Tornoto and Niagra Falls. Everything else is up for grabs.

Also haven't decided on which vehicle to drive yet. The most economical and practical would be the Prius. The least economical but most versatile would be the FJ. And, the most fun but least practical would be the MR2. It's wonderful to have choices, but having to make them can also make life very complicated. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DUDE!!! doing the same trip except east to west. Leaving Annapolis MD and ending up somewhere in California. I just bought my FJ 4 months ago and decided to take it on this road trip. Im leaving mid June and taking my time since ill be off from college. If you go out east be sure to hit up Coca Cola drive in baltimore and Rausch Creek in PA. Anything out their i should go to?
-mark
I am planning to leave in June as well. We might end-up meeting half-way.

Over here I've only gone to Death Valley (made for FJs, but might be too hot in June) and the Hollister offroad recreation area, but there's a lot more to explore. Definitely plan to do as much of Hwy 1 (along the coast as you can).

Thanks for the tip on Coca Cola drive and Rausch Creek...

Alberto

·
Registered
85 Posts
The FJ is a great cross country vehicle IMHO. I did the 2,500 mile journey from Cleveland OH to Portland OR this summer with my teenage brother (he took a one-way flight back to OH). We took the "northern route" (I-80) and spent a week in Yellowstone. Oneof the best trips i've ever done.

Sure, the FJ is not as economical as the Prius by far, but it's pretty comfy to spend that much time in. Not to mention great to store tons of camping luggage. Just my 2 cents.

Wish I could do a roadtrip like yours!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
there is a motorcycle off road trail that goes east/west that you can look at if you want a true adventure
transamercia trail. It isn't complete so you will have to piece it together with the FJC in mind.
After the FJ Summit I am going from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide and then I will start working on a 4x4 TransUSA trail that will go from West to East or even better would be the USA Loop that 4x4's as much as possible around the country.
So many trips, so little time in life :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts