Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been wanting an FJ since I had seen it posted on the Toyota website in 2006. At the time I had an 2003 2wd Tundra. I loved my tundra, but I wanted another 4wd. My previous truck before the Tundra was a very troubled Dodge Dakota 4wd. Well, I finally found a used 2007 Sunfusion 4x4 in Dec of 2007 with just under 9000 miles on it. And for $26,000 out the door, it was mine. Since then, I have enjoyed this vehicle more so than any other vehicle I have owned.

Mod's:
Expedition one front bumper
superwinch EPi9s (Expedition one style w/ synthetic line from viking offroad)
Light Racing UCA's
Toytec adjustable coilovers
OME 895's
Swapped out 17' Alloys for Stock Steelies
Hankook 285/70R'17 RT03's
Bandi Mount
Cobra 75wxst
3' Firestick tuneable antenna
Highlift mounts off Ebay
Added OEM tow hitch
Scuba Driver mod
Trail Gear Sliders
And the FJ Cruiser Forums sticker
Fjcruiserforums badge​

The Lift:
Origianally I went with OME mediums all the way around. It took a buddy and myself about 4 hours mostly driven by anticipation. I think it turned out pretty well and the install wasn't all that hard to do considering I never installed a lift before. I used some of the install directions on this forum that were very well put together. I then added 285/70R17 Hankook Dynapro RT03's. I was greatly pleased with the results!! I was not going to add any mods like bumpers or anything, but after a while, I just had to have one. So I went with the Expedition-One. To handle the extra weight of a bumper, winch, and Budbuilt skids, I went with Toytec for their adjustable coilovers. While I was in there, I replaced my UCA's with Light Racing UCA's. The Toytec C/O's are great for me because I don't intend on racing my FJ through the desert any time soon. When I do I will get Icons. For now though the Toytec C/O's do the trick well. And they did it for $480 less than what I could get Icons for. Trust me I flip flopped between the Toytec and Icons for a while until I realized what kind of wheeling I was going to do and how practical they were going to be to me. Here are some before and after shots with the evolution of my lift.

Stock:

OME mediums front and back installed Feb 2008:

Toytec adjustable C/O's and OME rear installed Nov 2009:

Stock:

OME mediums front and back installed Feb 2008:

Toytec adjustable C/O's and OME rear installed Nov 2009:

Skids added Jan 2009:
Before I added my bumper, I had put together a homemade radiator protector. Just a little security from hidden debris. I used it in conjunction with my Budbuilt skids.

Budbuilt skids with my radiator protector

My Scuba Driver mod: I followed Shadow-Warriors write up for this here http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-rear-differential-e-locker-breather-mod.html. I placed mine on the passenger side and fabricated a bracket to accommodate three spectre filters. This will be moved when I most likely install my dual battery set up I want.

Updated 10/27/2008: Picked up some steelies for 150 bucks with the stock Bridgestones on Craigslist. I mounted my Hanny's on them. I gave my stock alloys to my Dad for his Taco.

My Dads Taco with FJ alloys on it:

My Steelies:

Bandi mount and CB installed Oct 2008:I bought the Bandi mount because, well, it goes on the FJ. The cobra 75wxst was installed because of the compact design and it's easy to remove and install. This unit is great, the only issue I have had with it is the speaker went out within the first week. No big deal since I was planning on installing an external speaker. another thing I like is this unit installed in the vehicle is virtually invisible looking through the windows.

Bandi mount, 3' firestick, and Cobra 75wxst

Expedition-One front bumper added 11/20/2009:First bumper I really liked was the All-pro. This bumper dominates in the approach angle department. Well unforunately after many reviews and problems when winching with the All-pro, I let go of wnating this bumper. Next was ARB. I liked the versatility of the ARB. Alittle on the heavy side, but it's strong and offers hi-lift points in the bumper. After watching one being jacked on a trail in AL, I decided this is what I want. Still not impressed with the approach angle, but gotta give a little to get a little right. Wrong! Expedition-one is a happy medium for what I was looking for. After hearing they started manufacturing bumpers with hi-lift points I decided this is the bumper I want. Approach angle is good and winch options are great. SO, I finally got around to getting my hands on an Expedition One front bumper.

Expedition-One bumper with PIAA 510's

Painted Bezels and added PIAA 520 ATP's

·
Registered
636 Posts
Re: OME lift is installed!! Pics included

Looks good!! What's next?

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts

Looks great.

·
Registered
462 Posts

:rocker: looking good !

·
Premium Member
323 Posts

You mentioned getting Sliders...In the before pics I see side bar steps...In the after, they're gone...What happed to those and if you still have them, want to sell?

·
Registered
119 Posts

Very nice. What a difference a lift and tires makes.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

Looks great, nice stance...

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
899 Posts

Looks great!! I just got the same lift but havent had a chance to install yet. In the pics it looks to sit level, is that true. I have the same size tires too, how high is it to the top of the roof rack. Just want to know if it will still fit in garage. What happened to the side bare in the before pics?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

looks cool

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts

You're gonna love those Hankook's. I really like mine, they're not too noisy on the road, and have great traction.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

You mentioned getting Sliders...In the before pics I see side bar steps...In the after, they're gone...What happed to those and if you still have them, want to sell?
Sorry, I already sold them about 2 weeks ago to a fellow forum member

Looks great!! I just got the same lift but havent had a chance to install yet. In the pics it looks to sit level, is that true. I have the same size tires too, how high is it to the top of the roof rack. Just want to know if it will still fit in garage. What happened to the side bare in the before pics?
It sits about a half to an inch higher in the rear. I don't know how long it will take to settle but I will measure again in about a week or so. I'll get the roof rack measurements to ya tonight after my wife gets home with it. I happen to sell those bars to help purchase the rock rails from Trail Gear. When you install your lift I would recommend an alignment within a couple of days of getting the lift put on. I found myself riding on about 90% of the tread. The very inboard tread was not even touching the pavement. Plus after the alignment I felt the lugs less too.

Thanks all for the compliments. The lift and tires really do spice up the whole overall look of the FJ. I have no rubbing with the Hankooks at the moment. I'll have to see when the front tire gets stuffed first to see if I need the body mount chop. The way it looks though turning the wheel to where the front tire would rub, it has about an inch of clearance to the body mount unless the wheel swings to the rear a bit when it stuffs.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts

You're gonna love those Hankook's. I really like mine, they're not too noisy on the road, and have great traction.
X2

Great tire. Love'em.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

nice job!! its good that some of us can do the install, it would be beneficial to see whats under our rigs when mtc. and repairs (trail side)

·
Premium Member
16,787 Posts

Nice!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts