Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing "trail comms" in the FJ and thought I would share pics. Nothing earth shattering, I used a lot of info from this forum and some you tube videos to figure it out. My goal was a clean, unobtrusive system that worked reliably and could be made low profile when needed.

I decided on the Cobra 75 CB, based on what I had read and heard from others who have used it successfully. I liked the compact nature of the system for the FJ. I ordered the radio and a 4' Firestick from Right Channel Radio. For the rest of the kit, I ordered from GZila who had a bundle set up which included a stainless steel mount, QD connector, heavy spring. Both companies were easy to deal with and shipped super fast. Huge props to GZila for putting up with all my pre-order questions well after business hours and including a free patch. I told myself I had enough patches...

My install went pretty smoothly, though I muddled along pretty slowly over a couple days. I'm always paranoid the 1st time I try modifying something on the FJ. I dremeled away powder-coat on the GZila mount and ran the antenna cable through the side panels and under the running board covers. The Cobra 75 power module thingy was strapped under the center console to keep it out of the way. I saw someone else had this idea and I copied it. I had originally intended to run the cb connector through the top of the console and make it permanent, but quickly realized there was room to squeeze it out at the base of the center console. Keeps with my stealth mode theme. :ninja:

I ran the CB wires through the firewall and hooked them up to my SPod. I'm pleased that I'm finally legitimately using most of the switches, which kind of justifies that install. But when did any FJ purchase really need justification? I soldered the antenna connector, after watching a couple videos (1st time soldering), and hooked everything up. Finally, I decided to mount the radio itself where I could quickly access it with my right hand, or a passenger could get to it if need be. I'll probably grab a small Pelican case to store the radio in when I'm doing daily driver stuff. I was also pleased to find the antenna can be stowed in a channel next to my rear drawer system when I'm not using it.

A buddy loaned me his SWR meter, and I think I was able to get the channels tuned to about 1.2, which I think is pretty good? I didn't have anyone to talk to, but the weather channel came in very clear and strong. LOL.

Anyway, it was a fun project. Had lots of help from this forum, the vendors and a buddy of mine who usually helps me install stuff. Can't wait to try it out on the trails. :grin

Sorry some of the pics are sideways...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Just a quick observation, your antenna spring should be first from the connection, not like you installed it. Like you did all the "swing" stress will be transferred to your quick connect and it will fail. It should be mount-spring-quick connect-antenna.

Reactions: ZerosFJ and sonof40

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike! Right Channel Radios wrote me and said they install it spring on top for my same security reasons, but they didn't address the premature wear issue. Guess I'll see if anyone wants the spring more than me...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts