Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
421 - 440 of 486 Posts
I spent some time learning and tuning the CIS-e...
Running the chipped motronic was a good combo with the headers etc..
Nothing like the new motor tho...

Looks great!

:cheers: I just hate to see folks cut that boot like the people at Walcott instruct. It is just so easy to put that through the door and conduit and you don't make a hole for water to get into later.
I second that... Found a grommet and drilled one small hole Thats been waterproof ever since..

I thought about drilling a hole and using a new rubber grommet but didn't want to deal with painting and opening another spot for rust. Figured a small hole in the boot on the underside and lightly grease the coaxial cable with some dielectric grease (what I had at hand at the time) made things slide nice and easy. Plus with the small hole, its tight around the coaxial cable so there is no chance for water to get in there.

I thought about drilling a hole and using a new rubber grommet but didn't want to deal with painting and opening another spot for rust. Figured a small hole in the boot on the underside and lightly grease the coaxial cable with some dielectric grease (what I had at hand at the time) made things slide nice and easy. Plus with the small hole, its tight around the coaxial cable so there is no chance for water to get in there.
Good deal! I have seen people following some instruction from Walcott cut a giant hole in the boot and I swear I had a panic attack! I have even seen another tutorial that told people to remove a door hinge bolt because "you didn't need them all"!

Good deal! I have seen people following some instruction from Walcott cut a giant hole in the boot and I swear I had a panic attack! I have even seen another tutorial that told people to remove a door hinge bolt because "you didn't need them all"!
Haha that's nuts...I think Toyota designed the hinges and bolts to work and maintain a level door. Yeah the hole was poked with a small pick (took care not to poke the existing wires) and I pushed the coaxial through.

Looking to install a CB in my new 2014 FJ, this thread is several years old, does the information and equipment listed still represent the latest technology?

Looking to install a CB in my new 2014 FJ, this thread is several years old, does the information and equipment listed still represent the latest technology?
Yeah, same technology...
May want to consider a dual band unit - Ham/CB combined
I liked the Cobra because of the remote controls on the mike and no big box anywhere.

I just installed a Midland 75-822 in my 2013 FJ and have a slightly different solution.

I mounted a "Multi-Use Vehicle Charger with Dual USB Ports and Dual 12 Volt Sockets" Amazon.com: Multi-Use Vehicle Charger with Dual USB Ports and Dual 12 Volt Sockets - Magnadyne: Cell Phones & Accessories on the right side of the center console and mounted the external antenna outlet just above it:

This unit gives you two USB outlets in addition to the two cigarette lighter outlets. One of the USB outlets is labeled for IOS devices and the other for all other devices. However, I have found all the IOS devices I have tried (iPhone 4s, iPhone 5 and Classic iPod) seem to work fine in either slot. You can find cheaper external chargers than this unit, but this seems to be a well made device, with lighting in the cigarette lighter holes, covers for the holes and I like the way the plug is routed. (You can cut the plug off and hardwire this if you like - for now I will use the plug.)

I took the center console apart, looking for the best place to mount the antenna. I finally found that all I had to do to place the outlet where I did was to simply remove the glove box.

For an external antenna, I mounted a 4' Firestik to a Bandi mount. Then using a "FireStik K-8R18 18 foot Fire-Flex coax cable with Fire-Ring" Amazon.com : FireStik K-8R18 18 foot Fire-Flex coax cable with Fire-Ring : Cables Plugs And Adapters : Electronics,
I drilled a hole, just below the existing rubber encased cable into the jack compartment box. The above coax cable requires you to screw on and do a small solder on the PL259 connector on the radio end. However, this makes it much easier to route the cable and fit it through the small rubber grommet that comes in the package.

After removing the kick plates along the door sill and one bolt that anchors the rear side seat belt, I pushed a fiber glass rod (that I use for fishing electrical wires) through the opening for the jack compartment forward until it came out by the side near the rear seat area. Then, using a little duct tape, attached the coax and pulled it through.

Here are a few more pictures:

Another question: Is it feasible to remove the antenna when not in use?

Thanks!
Yes, if you install the quick disconnect on the Bandi mount.

Talk to Vegas Nick, he can set you up with everything in one box! :wink

Just got done installing my Bandimount and CB (shout to PureFJCruiser.com for calling to confirm order, delivery time, etc) and thanks to this thread it was super easy.

Hardest part of the whole install was finding a SWR meter in the Atlanta area, but was able to get it all tuned in and am now reading 1.4-1.8 across the board which seems to be acceptable.

Headed out to test it and the first conversation we come across is two truckers discussing the merits of a "penis-shaped lightbar" that one had seen at a local stop. Wife and I couldn't stop laughing for the longest time.

Hi

I can't get my Cobra 75 to work. I turn it on and the screen doesn't turn on. I tapped into the driver side fuse panel the slot second to the left from the very right fuse which is a green yellow color. I also tried every other fuse slot and no go. I put the fuse tap in and plugged a 10amp mini fuse into it. My mini fuse meter lit up when touching the contacts on the fuse in the tap. I crimped the fuse tap to the red wire to the CB box that I ran behind the panel under the steering wheel and then into the center console area. The red wire has an inline fuse already in place. I wired the black and red wire to the frame at the shifter. I ran the CB coax from my Bandi mount thru the black trunk door hose and into the jack compartment and thru the driver side rear passenger panel and thru the driver door kick panel then under the driver seat and into the center console. I then attached a new PL259 terminal connector bc I cut the other one off to run the coax. With the key off or on I turn the CB swith wheel to on and nothing happens. Any ideas?

Much thanks

Try connecting it directly to the battery.

I do that with any electric accessories before installing them.

You may just have a bum radio.

421 - 440 of 486 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.