Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio (75WXST) = $109.95
Firestik - SS3M - Stainless Steel Spring (SS3M) = $9.95
Firestik K4R FireRing Stud Mount (K4R) = $3.49
Firestik - K1A - Internal Locking Quick Disconnect (K1A) = $15.95

The next two are for tuning your antenna. They don't stay in the truck:
Paradynamics - PDC1 - 100 Watt Power & SWR Meter (PDC1) = $14.95
3ft RG58 Coax Cable with PL-259 Connectors (HS803PL) = $4.95​

How To:

First, you need to install the Bandi Mount per Bandi's instructions. As I was using the Firestik 'Firering' cable, I had to make sure I was setting it up right. Here is the general order of washers and such (note the 'lips' that go into the Bandi Mount hole):

Here it is "in the flesh":

Note in that image I have the cable coming out of the Firering pushed to the wrong side. More on that in a second. Second note: The biggest issue most people are going to have with this install is grounding. Make sure the Firering is grounded to the Bandi mount. Might have to really tighten things down.

To make sure you have a good ground, you have to scrape some paint on the mount and on the hinge (all covered in Bandi's instructions). Here's the hinge scrape:

Here is the Bandi mount completely installed. Note the orientation of the Firering and how the cable is routed. To do this, you must have the "EZ-Install" coax or be making your own terminations, as a full size connector will not fit through the hinge.

For running the cable, I went right straight down and behind the bumper:

Underneath, I ran the coax over the rear suspension, and then between the gas tank and frame. At the front of the gas tank, I went up and over it and to the access port between the two E-brake lines (Note: It appears that this access port is for MTs only. In ATs, there is a cable routed there. See this post). In this access port, I cut a hole so I could pass the cable:

As I already ran power out to the center console, I only had to pop of the top cover:

Here you can see the open access port:

For power, I just used some taps into the lines I ran for the 12V outlet. Then before sticking everything in place, I hooked it up and dialed in the antenna with a SWR meter:

Note: Be sure if you are using a Firestik tunable tip antenna that you place the plastic tip all the way back on each time you test SWR. I have no clue why a bit of plastic would, but it influenced my readings significantly... For more info on tuning for SWR (including a video), see this link...

Here's when I am doing the tuning. You can see (from bottom up) the Bandi Mount, Stud, Quick Release, Spring, and Firefly antenna:

Here you can see the interior detail. The power taps, the access port, now sealed with RTV silicone, the Cobra connector box (mounted with 3M mounting tape[UPDATE: Regular 3M "Heavy Duty" mounting tape won't hold it. Try the automotive trim variety they have at auto supply stores]) and the pigtail:

Shot showing the installed Cobra Quick Connector installed:

I only had a few extra feet of coax. I wish I could have used a longer snake (24" or so would have been better), but this seems to work and I still get a nice, low SWR reading:

The end product:

And one more:

Anybody in the Portland area is more than welcome to use my SWR meter...

--Bill

See less See more
#3 ·
Strike said:
That's a nice install. I like it a lot. I may have to steal your idea.
Thanks! The name of the game on this machine is 'clean'. I don't want anything Velcro-ed up or wires hanging out. So far, I am happy :)

One odd note: It seems all the trucker traffic around here is on Ch 17. Is that new?

--Bill

#4 · (Edited)
That is Just plain Beautifully Bill...

I need to get that quick release system for mine...

That's the same way I will be doing my install...
I thank you very much for all the Info and images,
this will make thing a breeze with already knowing
what is where ahead of time...

Thanks Again Bill !!! :cheers:

[edit] I Ordered some things to nake my installation
more clean, I used Wacott... Awsome Place !!!...

1 x - 300-313 - Replacement Stud Plastic Washers $0.99
1 x Firestik K4 Stud Mount With Ring Connectors $4.95
1 x Firestik - K1A - Internal Locking Quick Disconnect $15.95
1 x Firestik - MU8R18 - 2-Piece 18ft "EZ-Install" Single Coax $18.95
1 x Paradynamics - PDC1 - 100 Watt Power & SWR Meter $14.95
1 x - HS803PL - 3ft RG58 Coax Cable with PL-259 Connectors $4.95

bandi said:
BANDI MOUNT WISE, I have 37 people
on my list, I was going to build them this past
weekend, but I have to work outside on these, and
my Pop-Up Tarp tent got blown at a fast freak storm
and broke in three places, I disassembled it and weld
her all back together on Sunday and painted up the
welded areas... so I am shooting for this weekend
as long as it is not heat-stroke weather... But I
have purchased all the materials to satisfy the list.

I apologize to anyone who is dieing for theirs right
now, that is why i said to all of you that i could not
give a time to when they would be done, and that I
would contact you at the tie when yours are ready.
next week now...

#5 ·
Oh Yeah... One COOL thing about the Cobra 75...
You can buy the receiver (small silver box installed
under the center console cover for about $20 and
set it up in another familey vehicle, so if you use,
say a minivan or Jeep or such too, all you would
have to do then is too unscrew the handle and quik
release the antenna and add to the other vehicle...

Whhhaaallllaaaa !!!

#7 ·
Bill - great post!

Does anyone with the Bandi mount have a problem with the antenna smacking the body of the FJC?

#9 ·
TRDSteve said:
Bill - great post!

Does anyone with the Bandi mount have a problem with the antenna
smacking the body of the FJC?
I DON'T... But I Don't own one either, well, I did till I mailed it out to
someone else who wanted one... :lol: ... But I do still have the
prototype which i will never get rid of, since it is my pattern to
replicate these mounts...

Seriously tho, I have not heard back from anyone with that issue,
and the way the antenna mounts at close to 90 degress to the
ground and the back of the FJC being at 20 degrees off 90...

See below...

Leroy...

#10 ·
Thanks Bandi - When I figure out the CB thing, I plan on being on your list. Thanks for the contributions.

#11 ·
TRDSteve said:
Bill - great post!

Does anyone with the Bandi mount have a problem with the antenna smacking the body of the FJC?
No. As you see from that picture Bandi re-posted, the body slopes away from the antenna. It would have to really be flapping to hit the body. I've watched it on the freeway and during quick stops and it doesn't get anywhere close. If it did, I would move up from the "medium duty" spring to the "heavy duty", but it doesn't...

--Bill

#14 ·
Lost Cosmonaut said:
No body smack here. And one note on SWR, make sure you close all doors after adjusting the antenna and before registering SWR. And make sure you aren't near any buildings.

- LC
Close the doors? Really? Crap.... Back to the meter.... :mecry:

#15 ·
bigbill25 said:
Close the doors? Really? Crap.... Back to the meter.... :mecry:
If you got pretty good SWR readings with them open I wouldn't worry about it too much, just take some readings with them closed and away from buildings and see what happens. For me I couldn't get a good reading until I scraped a bunch of paint off the hinge and the mount and closed the doors and had the right amount of line and etc. etc. Now it's rock solid and I don't have to worry about it, thank goodness.

- LC

#17 ·
very clean install Bill...you've got an eye for detail. Looks great.

Nice to feel comfortable tearing your truck apart too isn't it? I kind of bonded with mine after my alarm install...

#18 ·
Bostonian1976 said:
very clean install Bill...you've got an eye for detail. Looks great.

Nice to feel comfortable tearing your truck apart too isn't it? I kind of bonded with mine after my alarm install...

Actually, after my alarm install, I was a bit squeamish to do this... Luckily it was just popping the top of the center console. The Gobi rack lights are next... That one I'm really apprehensive about....

--Bill

#19 ·
bigbill25 said:

Actually, after my alarm install, I was a bit squeamish to do this... Luckily it was just popping the top of the center console. The Gobi rack lights are next... That one I'm really apprehensive about....

--Bill
That is an awesome setup. I reallly like the routing and clean look...good job. Now man up and start tearing into those lights! Yikes!!

#20 ·
That is a great looking install. I just picked up that very radio today and a 24" firestick. I was thinking of mounting the antenna to the roofrack when it finally arrives... I was just puzzeling over where to come into the car with the antenna cable and where to mount the CB. I think you figured it out for me, thanks. Now how to get the antenna cable from the roof rack to under the car. Oh well it will be a fun weekend project when I get a few days off. thanks for the pictures, they will be helpful when I give this a go.

#21 ·
One other thing on SWR... Tune it in the middle of the band (ie ch 19 or 20). If you tune it on ch 1 or 40, it may be quite high at the opposite end. Once tuned, check it across the board to make sure it's OK.

#23 · (Edited)
John said:
That is a great looking install. I just picked up that very radio today and a 24" firestick. I was thinking of mounting the antenna to the roofrack when it finally arrives... I was just puzzeling over where to come into the car with the antenna cable and where to mount the CB. I think you figured it out for me, thanks. Now how to get the antenna cable from the roof rack to under the car. Oh well it will be a fun weekend project when I get a few days off. thanks for the pictures, they will be helpful when I give this a go.
For the antenna cable, you can run it down the A-pillar. That outer piece is just bolted from the inside by a bolt that is under the grab handle on the inside of the A-pillar... Hard to explain in words. I'll have pictures of this when I do my rack light wiring, but that is still a week out...

Your big issue will be getting a good ground on the rack for the antenna. I would actually recommend against mounting it there...

--Bill

#24 ·
kb3gun said:
One other thing on SWR... Tune it in the middle of the band (ie ch 19 or 20). If you tune it on ch 1 or 40, it may be quite high at the opposite end. Once tuned, check it across the board to make sure it's OK.
I tuned to get the best average on 1 and 40. When they were "balanced", 19 was really low...

--Bill

#25 ·
bigbill25 said:
For the antenna cable, you can run it down the A-pillar. That outer piece is just bolted from the inside by a bolt that is under the grab handle on the inside of the A-pillar... Hard to explain in words. I'll have pictures of this when I do my rack light wiring, but that is still a week out...

Your big issue will be getting a good ground on the rack for the antenna. I would actually recommend against mounting it there...

--Bill
Curious about the ground issue you mentioned. I would not have thought of that, what is the specific problem? That Bandi mount really looks like the way to go though, I may look into going that direction.

#26 ·
A Ground may be added by drilling a small hole in the end of the mount and
adding a separate ground wire held in by a small self-tapping screw... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.