Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys make coffee while out camping or on trail? I am a complete noob when it comes to cooking at home, let alone while out on trail. I need my coffee first thing in the morning, I turn into the Hulk without. So for everyone's safety, can anyone recommend a light, all-in-one solution?

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
How do you guys make coffee while out camping or on trail? I am a complete noob when it comes to cooking at home, let alone while out on trail. I need my coffee first thing in the morning, I turn into the Hulk without. So for everyone's safety, can anyone recommend a light, all-in-one solution?

Starbucks Instant coffee in the little packages are great and easy

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
This is my coffee rig. I use the inverter in the FJ to power the grinder. Whenever I go for an overnighter, or more, this is the first thing I pack.

Grinder
Whole coffee beans
REI mug
MSR Windburner stove (packs with small fuel canister)
Extra MSR ISOPRO fuel
MSR Pocket Rocket stove (backup to the Windburner)
Melitta filter holder
#2 paper filters
A few paper towels
Small tuperware for holding ground coffee
lighter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
This is my coffee rig. I use the inverter in the FJ to power the grinder. Whenever I go for an overnighter, or more, this is the first thing I pack.

Grinder
Whole coffee beans
REI mug
MSR Windburner stove (packs with small fuel canister)
Extra MSR ISOPRO fuel
MSR Pocket Rocket stove (backup to the Windburner)
Melita filter holder
#2 paper filters
A few paper towels
Small tuperware for holding ground coffee
lighter
I don't see any smoked salmon? :confused:

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
My coffee rig looks like @Primer's, except I use an MSR Reactor and an Aeropress. I even have the same mug.

Reactor/Windburner heat up so fast you won't have time to prep the coffee before your water is boiling. Aeropress makes good, strong coffee and cleanup is almost effortless. Just remove the filter basket, pop the plunger out the end which pushes out the grounds, and wipe off with a towel or rinse with a splash of water. Whatever method you choose, an important thing to keep in mind is that the key ingredient in coffee is--wait for it--coffee. Most people don't use enough beans.

Lately if I'm on the road I often make due with bottled cold brew so I don't have to do any setup. I just want to get up and going. For camping or a group, the above setup works well.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
My coffee rig looks like @Primer's, except I use an MSR Reactor and an Aeropress. I even have the same mug.

Reactor/Windburner heat up so fast you won't have time to prep the coffee before your water is boiling. Aeropress makes good, strong coffee and cleanup is almost effortless. Just remove the filter basket, pop the plunger out the end which pushes out the grounds, and wipe off with a towel or rinse with a splash of water. Whatever method you choose, an important thing to keep in mind is that the key ingredient in coffee is--wait for it--coffee. Most people don't use enough beans.

Lately if I'm on the road I often make due with bottled cold brew so I don't have to do any setup. I just want to get up and going. For camping or a group, the above setup works well.
Never been a fan of pre-ground packets. My friend @Solid E has a home Nespresso machine that is the best so far, but nothing like fresh ground beans. You are absolutely correct about not using enough beans. I also like waking up everybody in camp with my grinder...gets them going.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I keep Starbucks instant in my rig at all times along with a little pocket stove and a titanium cup(I also keep ramen) with 'hot lips' to keep from burning my lips.. I will also bring this on short trips, and backpacking usually.

For longer trips I will bring either my French press if there are just two of us and I know the other doesn't drink a lot, a nice 12 pot percolator for more than 2, or a simple pour over for just myself and either my Hario hand grinder, or pre-grind whole bean coffee.

Until this post I never thought about how complicated coffee can be, it sounds silly to write about all the different ways I plan around coffee, but you are right, its such a great part of the morning..

If I am going somewhere pretty remote, where I don't know if I will find fuel canisters for the pocket stove, I will bring a little Trangia alcohol stove, and use denatured alcohol. Its a little slower, but you can find alcohol most everywhere.

Links:

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Skerton-Ceramic-Coffee-Mill/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1VHHDNZ9AMDHI&keywords=hario+grinder&qid=1559072689&s=gateway&sprefix=hario,aps,148&sr=8-4

Not my exact one, but similar: https://www.amazon.com/Valtcan-750ml-Titanium-Backpacking-Camping/dp/B07757B431/ref=sr_1_24?keywords=titanium+mug&qid=1559072781&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-24

https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-Hotlips-Pack-Orange/dp/B0038WTTVS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hot+lips&qid=1559072863&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4FY8YO/?coliid=I33RPR0CWFZLGZ&colid=1SWG6JLGLYCVH&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LF3ICU/?coliid=IAA89MH4TTN26&colid=1SWG6JLGLYCVH&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S4LJRCE/?coliid=I2RYPKAQIFQ00W&colid=1SWG6JLGLYCVH&psc=0

·
Registered
186 Posts
I usually pre-grind for short trips, but I need to get a decent hand grinder. Hario makes one that's pretty cheap and does a decent job. These guys make one that's much nicer, and you'll pay for it commensurately: LIDO E-T
Those Lidos are nice! I have the Hario and its really nice for the money, but its slow if you are doing more than a cup at a time. Grinding for a 12 cup perc or a 1 liter French press I was getting more exercise than I wanted first thing in the morning! I find myself pre-grinding more and more these days. I guess the honeymoon phase of the hand grinder is over for me.. :laugh

I wonder if the Lido grinds faster, adding to its value?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stanley makes a portable french press, that functions as an insulated coffee container that you can drink from. It is actually ingenious, you press and drink coffee from the same container.

I use a metal tin cup to boil water, pour directly into the Stanley with the grounds at the bottom then wait a few minutes.

After, I drop the sieve inside the container, screw the top on and drink. Coffee comes out a little "muddy" but it is not bad for the trails.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I have use the Lido--it's not super fast, but it's really nice. Grind quality is excellent.

@fidelityflip: Clearly you have never spent time in the pacific northwest. Coffee is religion in these parts. Couple of guys with waxed mustaches could use up half a day just debating water temperature.
Dang, that's nuts.

Here is how Oma taught me:

Bring water to a rolling boil remove from heat.
Let it stand for 1 buttered toast (~1 minute)
2 sort of piled high table spoons (literal spoon) coarse grind per mug
pinch of salt
stir
let sit
quick sprinkle of cold water - usually fingers dipped in water and flicked into the pot
Slow pour
First pour to the guests as host you get the mud.

When it came to food and drink....Oma knew her stuff.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts