I typically take ground coffee out.
-put a bunch (4 tablespoons?) in the french press
-pour boiling water 1/2 way up
-let sit a few seconds
-stir (vital)
-then top up with boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes
-press the plunger down.
+GTG.

We found a stainless steel french press at Homeoutfitters of all places... (ritzy overpriced stuff typically).
Works great.... slightly insulated and not made with thin glass like our previous french press.
(I'll dig up a pic)

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
It is relaxing once you bring 14 different items to make coffee, 3 awnings, the reclining/vibrating massage couch, fridge, freezer, wading pool, 6 different grills and 5 stoves so you're ready to cook anything, a shower, hot tub, big screen tv, full stereo system, and the kitchen sink to start with.....

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
It is relaxing once you bring 14 different items to make coffee, 3 awnings, the reclining/vibrating massage couch, fridge, freezer, wading pool, 6 different grills and 5 stoves so you're ready to cook anything, a shower, hot tub, big screen tv, full stereo system, and the kitchen sink to start with.....
Now you're talking :grin

1838-exterior-alt-view.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Dang, couldn't find a picture of one towing a FJ :wink

·
Registered
18 Posts
While car camping I mostly use a single cup Hario pour-over w/ filter, don't like grounds in the cup. But, because I have 1000w inverter on dedicated battery. I've experimented with a using a old electric Mocha Pot for a morning cappuccino. :wink

Attachments

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for all the replies!!

I'm going to go with a simple setup consisting of a single burner, travel mug, and Starbucks instant coffee. I figure this is the smallest/lightest solution, less waste/clean up, and easy to pack. I have some REI credit/dividend, so maybe pick up a Jetboil which will come with a pot.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Speaking of this subject, I am looking forward to testing out a new piece of gear next trip. https://www.hellolume.com/

A coworker is letting me borrow it to see if i like it. I believe he found it on a go fund me site. Hopefully it is a little faster than my current HARIO hand grinder.

And if we are real lucky it will be quieter than Primers plug in grinder. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
@iLuveKetchup before you get a Jetboil, check out the Windburner. Significantly better performance for not a lot more money.
Just looked up the MSR Windburner. I really like how the burner packs inside the pot. I'll have a look at it in person at REI. It's almost twice the price of the Jetboil.

·
Desert Moderator
5,653 Posts
Just looked up the MSR Windburner. I really like how the burner packs inside the pot. I'll have a look at it in person at REI. It's almost twice the price of the Jetboil.
Jetboil also packs inside the pot. I really have no idea how anything could be faster, especially for how frugal it is on gas...
the small gas cannister will also fit inside the pot.

<2 mins to boil a litre of water is pretty quick...
https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/stoves-systems/flash-cooking-system

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Comparrison tests anyone?

Decades ago I had a buddy that would request the barista at Starbucks to heat the milk in his latte up to 174 degrees. I remember being embarrassed for him.

·
Desert Moderator
5,653 Posts
I've had a jetboil for years and it's been super reliable and I wouldn't change it for anything. Build quality, ruggedness, ease of use, price. It just works, and it's probably something the kids will inherit someday.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts