Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Probably one of the dumbest questions I have ever asked.... but..

Anyone here make coffee on the trail using an old style percolator? :jester:

We had one when I was a kid, but I never paid attention to it. Now, I bought one for camping and would like some ideas on...filters? do they use one? How long to you let that baby brew?

Good coffeee mixes for camping?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I tied a perculator type camp coffee maker like you are speaking of. Cabela's has a pretty good assortment of them. How long you let it brew is a matter of how strong you like your coffee and the size of the pot itself. You'll have to experiment with it to get the mix you prefer. Most do not require a filter as the cup that the grounds go in is perferated and acts as the filter. You'll always have some grounds in the coffee. Cowboy Coffee as it is often called.

I ended up with a french press made for camping. It is plastic and has an insulated cover. I think I picked it up at Dick's sporting goods. Much easier to deal with while camping.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I have been using a French Press for camping. If you want the look of the old coffee pot over a fire, you can use it to heat your water. The press is easy to use and the flavor can't be beat.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Never leave home without it. I've got an MSR international stove that will run off of Everything from camp fuel, and gas to jet fuel. It's always in my FJ. I pair it with a cheap percolator type coffee maker. First thing I start when I wake up in the morning while camping. Like it was said above, you'll always have some grounds in the coffee. You can grind the beans yourself to keep them a bit larger to help them falling through the metal basket. I've also used coffee filters buy just punching a whole through the middle and setting in the basket. Thought about getting a frech press but have not found a plastic one yet.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thing I start when I wake up in the morning while camping. ....

Glad to know I am not the only one who holds that ritual so dear! :clap:

Of all the things that I can work through, the percolator had me stumped. Now talking about that press... I may look at that too! Nex thing is I'll get one of those camp chairs with an umbrella and download the morning news to my wife's Kindle! All the joys of home while in the desert!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I've camped for years with them. The most interesting method I've seen is to put the grounds into the pot with the water. Crack an egg over the full pot of water and set it over the campfire. As the egg cooks on top, it catches many of the coffee grounds. It looks disgusting, specially the egg, but seems to work. I guess its more of a "manly man" coffee.

Also seen them use a bandana.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
We use the percolator style while camping as well. Having the stove on for coffee helps to heat up the camper, and the coffee helps to heat us up! But wouldn't have it any other way, grounds and all. Everything seems to taste better when your camping. Must be the fresh air.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Don't mean to change the topic of the thread from the OP. When you talk about smells from camping and everything tasting better when you're camping the thought of bacon in a cast iron pan popped in my head. Man I need to go camping, make some coffee and cook up some bacon.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Here is the press I was speaking of

GSI Outdoors: Products

Sweet. I might try that. I could still use the percolator and stove to boil the water and then transfer it to the press. Left over hot water can be used to wash everything. Only bad part is that it adds to what I have to carry. I'll just tell myself that's why I need an Adventure trailer to carry extra stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Dittos on the French Press.
Camping with my parents back in the 60s and early 70s they used a percolator for the fire or the trailer stoves we had.

I use a French Press at home, and have a slightly smaller one I keep in the chuckbox.

I like the taste of coffee best from one of them.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Don't mean to change the topic of the thread from the OP. When you talk about smells from camping and everything tasting better when you're camping the thought of bacon in a cast iron pan popped in my head. Man I need to go camping, make some coffee and cook up some bacon.
Fresh coffee and bacon on crisp morning! Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've also used coffee filters buy just punching a whole through the middle and setting in the basket.
I do the same with by simply putting one filter (with whole) on the bottom add the coffee grounds and then ad another filter on top (with whole). It cuts out almost all of the grounds and gives a great cup of coffee - great way to start the day while camping! Also, just watch the percolator top and you can judge the strength of the coffee by the color - brew to your own liking!
ENJOY!:cheers:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Funny as it sounds, I don't usually cook on my work mornings so I am very much loking forward to camping and cooking breakfast! I hear ya on the smells of cooking out!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
We are the same way, Our camping gear has grown over the years. It's funny how when camping the little things are what you look forward to and cherish the most.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is what I use and highly recommend. REALLY good coffee and no grounds get through the filter. Very compact. Funnel and stirrer are unnecessary. Pretty much unbreakable. I actually use it at work every day as well.

AeroPress® | AEROBIE High Performance Sport Toys

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the Jetboil system and it has an optional french press.

Home Page | Jetboil

I haven't personally used the french press accessory but the Jetboil itself will boil water in less than 2 1/2 minutes - I've been really happy with it.

The French Press add-on look does look a little fiddly but the youtubes Ive seen on it look ok.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts