Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use a Melitta manual drip filter plastic cone. Should be under $5. Great for a single cup just put in a #2 filter and fresh ground coffee and pour hot water through. I found this Coleman model a couple years back for a spare. It was 7 cents on clearance at Big 5.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It depends on how much of a coffee snob you are but in doing alot of kayak camping down river where the weight of your gear is pretty important I found that the folger coffee singles (they are like tea bag) work pretty good and you can boil them as long as you want for the strength you want.

Its not as good as a press but its not bad. no grounds and for me the pot is multi purpose. I use freeze dried food.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Camping + Coffee + Bacon + Eggs = Pure Win.

On a recent camping trip we used the GSI French Press mentioned earlier in this thread and it worked out great. We dropped in a single packet of vacuum-sealed pre-ground coffee per brew (like this). I like my coffee a bit stronger, so if it were only me I'd have used at least 2 packs ;). If space is a concern, I bet you could store your utensils inside of it, I think its probably tall enough. You could also pick up some Starbucks Via, which is halfway decent, better than other instant coffee I've had for sure.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I tried the percolator with little success, takes too long and you waste a lot of fuel. I threw away the guts and use it as a kettle to boil the water, then I put one of these:

I use a Melitta manual drip filter plastic cone. Should be under $5. Great for a single cup just put in a #2 filter and fresh ground coffee and pour hot water through. I found this Coleman model a couple years back for a spare. It was 7 cents on clearance at Big 5.
on my thermos and pour water through. Maybe I'll invest in a french press someday....

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It depends on how much of a coffee snob you are ......I use freeze dried food.
I haven't gone that far just yet. I still buy Starbucks beans and grind my own. :lol:

I've been looking at some of the freeze dried food just for backup "in case" rations, but I am looking forward to the "real" bacon and eggs in the frying pan. :rocker:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I tried the percolator with little success, takes too long and you waste a lot of fuel. I threw away the guts and use it as a kettle to boil the water, then I put one of these:

on my thermos and pour water through. Maybe I'll invest in a french press someday....

Man, I never imagined so many options to camp coffee making! That is a cool looking setup. I like the Jetboil idea for the percolator too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use the instant coffee from Starbucks. I don't generally do instant coffee but this stuff is actually pretty good and you don't need to pack extra gear.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Handfull of grinds, pinch of salt and cinnamon stick, let brew till it "smells right".

·
Registered
906 Posts
Use an old Revere Ware perculator. Works great. Tried the old blue cowboy style too, but more grindy. CAMPING- One of my favorites is a bacon on soft white bread with cold butter sandwich. Now we're talkin' Course my collesteral probably skyrockes but . . .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Use an old Revere Ware perculator. Works great. Tried the old blue cowboy style too, but more grindy. CAMPING- One of my favorites is a bacon on soft white bread with cold butter sandwich. Now we're talkin' Course my collesteral probably skyrockes but . . .
You are so right, according to Dr. Michael J. Klag, the vice dean for clinical investigation at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore. People who use a French press or percolator to make their coffee or other varieties of unfiltered coffee may need a cholesterol check. Filters seem to remove most of the cholesterol-boosting substances found in coffee. So by using a filter I can enjoy my bacon.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Boil water and use Instant coffee... No fuss or muss or waste and no extra weight load to carry...No it can never replace a kettle or french press...but it's fast and quick and the effect is (caffiene) kick is pretty good.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You are so right, according to Dr. Michael J. Klag, the vice dean for clinical investigation at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore. People who use a French press or percolator to make their coffee or other varieties of unfiltered coffee may need a cholesterol check. Filters seem to remove most of the cholesterol-boosting substances found in coffee. So by using a filter I can enjoy my bacon.

That sir is why I drink a diet Coke with EVERY Big Mac!

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Boil water and use Instant coffee... No fuss or muss or waste and no extra weight load to carry...No it can never replace a kettle or french press...but it's fast and quick and the effect is (caffiene) kick is pretty good.
I am too much of a snob for instant coffee. To me, the slightly extra items to carry is worth it. But to each their own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have used my Revereware 14-Cup Percolator for years on my Brunton Wind River Range. I initially started using it on my Phoebus. Anyway, I use organic Sumatran employing Brew Rite Filters that fit in the basket with each corner folding over the stem. It works wonderfully with these filters!:clap:

21 - 40 of 94 Posts