Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I take my coffee mug that has the french press built in.stainless steel cup.works pretty good but still doesn't help with having to boil my water on stove.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I have tried all other methods, and resorted to a small drip mr coffee maker powered by my older 1000 watt Yamaha generator. This is the ticket for FJ car camping. Exactly like home, no grinds ! I bought the older ef1000 for $150 on a local classified site. Best money I ever spent. Also a battery charger attached! It has started my truck in 2 minutes on a dead battery. It's about the size of 2 shoe boxes stacked on top of each other...

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
But this is a subjective discussion about coffee; what I meant, was what do you think of a 12V - high-amp water heater...
Ummm not sure but I'll speculate that it's not a good idea. Here's why:

I have a electric 1.5L hot water heater for home use. I usually fill it to about the 1L mark. This is a 1500W heater and to heat 1L of cold tap water to boiling takes about 2 min. In order to get similar results outta a 12V system you'd need 125 amps. Given that type of routine use is really not feasible for car batteries, you'd need to step down the wattage of the heater, causing longer boiling times. At which point I'd rather use my propane stove.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
for backpacking I've found the lexan French presses blow and the only good French press I've ever had is porcelain but heavy! none of the filter types work, I think the egg route mentioned above might be my next move when out in the wilds and away from the fj

On a side note, I got a Bunn Velocity Brew coffee maker for home and it's the best I've ever used. 3 minutes, super hot, and great taste, never bitter. somewhat pricy at $100, but worth it!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just got back from a camping trip and tried out a Primus LiTech press (the GF found it on Amazon). I was really surprised how good a cup of coffee it made

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a GSI French press as a coffee "rig" as of now... I take it hiking, makes decent coffee.

Poorly typed from my phone.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
sonof40, I am a bit surprised.

Let me explain: I do not see the problem with coffee, have you guys tried "Nescafe" it's a powder that you throw in hot water and you get American style coffee, no problems at all. It's a bit expensive but unless you camp 200 days a year, the convenience is worth the extra cost. With hot water, other people can make tea or (my favorite) hot water with honey.

In any case, the problem becomes how to quickly make hot water in the morning, when everything is freezing cold.

You use an inverter and a normal coffee machine like the ones in hotels. Inverters are quite inefficient; when I was young I did several tests because we had to carry car batteries to the mountains to run telescopes, and running everything through an inverter emptied a 60Ah car battery in a matter of two-three hours, while with a DC-DC converter they would run "forever"... the fact is that I wish there was a 12V water heater with enough power to boil water in seconds. It would need high gauge wires but 100-200A would make water for coffee boil in probably less than a minute. Unfortunately, it seems no ready solutions exist, what I found online was some stuff that takes 40 minutes to boil water.

What do you think?
1. Instant aint good. If I were to use instant I would use those little Starbuck tubes.
2. I've upgraded a few times since that photo and I'm down to a small Quisinart 550W maker. Now I don't have to run the engine and wake other campers to make coffee and I'm usually drinking coffee before anyone else.
3. It's as efficient as the cost of gas which charges the two batteries so we're talking pennies per cup.
4. Don't ever be surprised at anything I do.:rofl::cheers:

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Well but if you use an inverter to run a 110V appliance of similar power, you are going to draw more than 125A, because the inverter has inefficiencies. That is why I was advocating a 12V one.
Technically true but in practice, power inverters are in the 90% efficiency range these days so really there isn't much difference due to loss. Power is power converted or otherwise and you'll still need pretty much the same amount. The only significant variable is time and when it comes to me getting my coffee in the AM, I'm not that patient. ;)

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Exactly, with an electric water heater it would take literally seconds to boil water even in windy areas where the propane stove takes FOREVER.
Like I said in my practice, to boil 1L of water, a 1500W water heater takes about 2 minutes (so 120 seconds, lol) equated to 12V power this requires 125 Amps. Where as an average 2 burner propane stove take about 3.5 minutes to boil about 1L.

125 Amp drain for 2 minutes to save a minute and a half (even for coffee) is not worth the toll on my batteries for me. Going with a lesser wattage heater should still end up having close to the same over all battery drain but just at a slower rate, so it will take longer to heat the water. Probably at that point, longer than the stove. So I'm still a stove fan. LOL

·
Registered
677 Posts
Where as an average 2 burner propane stove take about 3.5 minutes to boil about 1L.

We are on a completely different page here. When camping in the middle of some desert during winter, or at a considerable elevation, cold wind blowing, maybe almost freezing temperatures, it may take 30-45 minutes to boil water with a small stove. Even a regular full-sized one can have a hard time heating up the cold pot while wind is blowing. 15-20 minutes is not uncommon.

On the other hand, if the weather is nice and no wind, there is no need to rush and have hot water ready right away.

I see the electric boiling more like a way to ensure the morning starts OK even in the worst case situation.

Anyway, I got a use case where the inverter is a good idea indeed: inverter very close to the battery and then a 110V line that runs inside the tent so an hot beverage can be prepared there without even getting out of the sleeping bag. Just remember to put the water in the 110V water boiler the night before, in case it freezes overnight.

just at a slower rate, so it will take longer to heat the water. Probably at that point, longer than the stove. So I'm still a stove fan. LOL
We must do very different kind of camping! :habbobuggs:

81 - 94 of 94 Posts