Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I was thinking about upgrading to coilovers down the road for a more compliant offroad suspension as i'm running 885's right now on ome shocks, and it is a little stiff on washboards and higher speed stuff.

However I was wondering what the spring rates for most of the coilovers are?

the OME's I believe have different spring rates to accommodate different weight loads up front depending on the bumper winch combination, however coilovers just come with the one spring rate it seems and adjusts for height with the spring perch while the spring gets more compressed with the added weight..

I've had coilovers on sports cars, but they never have to deal with added weight loads, so the spring rates are designed with a specific weight in mind for optimal handling.

I'm sure ONE spring rate is not suitable for both a fully loaded expedition rig and a stock bumpered rig. Right?

Can someone educate me?:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Just a quick bit of information. ALL spring/struts for the front of the FJ are Coilovers. A coilover is where the shock sits inside of the spring coil.
I believe what you are referring to are adjustable coilovers. The OME do not give a comfy ride from the springs i have had on. The ride with the stock springs was softer, but it rolled too much in turns and the brake dive was terrible.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My Camburg coilovers have 700 lb./inch Eibach coil springs. I think the Taco version has 600 or 650 lb./inch rating.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
King has the softest spring rate I believe its 550lb (TCao is that right?) Icon, WE, Fox, are all around 600 lb and SAW is the stiffest at 700lb.

You can adjust all of these to compensate for more or less weight as long as its not over the top in terms of weight. Shadow-Warrior has Icon's on his Fj with the road armor bumper, which I think is the heaviest bumper out there and he hasn't had any issue's he did re adjust them once to compensate for the weight of it though. You should be fine with any of these systems. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
King has the softest spring rate I believe its 550lb (TCao is that right?) Icon, WE, Fox, are all around 600 lb and SAW is the stiffest at 700lb.

You can adjust all of these to compensate for more or less weight as long as its not over the top in terms of weight. Shadow-Warrior has Icon's on his Fj with the road armor bumper, which I think is the heaviest bumper out there and he hasn't had any issue's he did re adjust them once to compensate for the weight of it though. You should be fine with any of these systems. :)
The icons are only adjustable in height. The damping adjustment on the Icons involves re-valving at the factory. The All Pro, WE, and Fox are easily adjusted for damping once installed.

The Icons I have on are very stiff over speed bumps, but it's a trade off to maintain high-speed stability off-road.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
The icons are only adjustable in height. The damping adjustment on the Icons involves re-valving at the factory. The All Pro, WE, and Fox are easily adjusted for damping once installed.

The Icons I have on are very stiff over speed bumps, but it's a trade off to maintain high-speed stability off-road.
Ya I was only talking about the spring/height adjustment. As the OP's main concern seemed to be height. I love my icons and feel they ride better on road and off, speed bumps and dips are not a issue, all of them are hit at speed.

looking forward to seeing what your new set up will do on that high speed stuff, lets hope we don't have another Mojave issue. :)

Might add, as you adjust for more lift what you are doing is preloading the spring and in essence making it stiffer. I think of Komobo and his SAW set up the original installer was an idiot and put to much preload in and it was so stiff you couldn't move the front end more then 1/4", it road so stiff, he hated it at first, once he got the springs set right it road much better and now he loves it. You will have to find a compromise between ride and lift. Just because they go to 3" doesn't mean you should, something to think about.

·
Wanderlust
4,162 Posts
King has the softest spring rate I believe its 550lb (TCao is that right?) Icon, WE, Fox, are all around 600 lb and SAW is the stiffest at 700lb...
You're correct Josh. The standard King coilover rate is 550 lb/inch for the FJC although they can provide different spring rates and valving to match (spring rate up to 700 lb/inch).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts