Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, im looking to put an ARB bull bar bumper on my FJ as the next project. I have been reading about installing coil overs before the install of the bumper. What exactly are coil overs? i have a 3 inch lift by revtek. Bumpers are not my strong suit, so any input on what coil overs are would help. thanks

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You have coilovers on the front of your FJ already. A coilover is a coil spring with a shock absorber inside of it, hence the term, coil-over.

The revtek kit uses a spacer up front but retains the stock suspension. The stock front coils and shocks are not designed to handle the extra weight of a steel bumper so poor suspension performance and sagging is to be expected.

You should run an aftermarket coil spring and shock designed to handle the extra weight of bumpers.
There are plenty of options for you out there from cheap, midrange, and expensive.

2 questions:
1. How do you plan on using your FJ? Do you intend to go offroading at all? Are you going offroading all the time? Or do you go offroading once and a while and even then it is basically a dirt road?

2. How much money do you would you like to spend?
For example, the OME suspension lift, which is what i have and what i would normally recommend to most folks, is about $7-800 (not including installation)
The top of the line adjustable coilovers with rear suspensions lift, like the ICONs, FOX, SAW, tend to run anywhere from $1100-1500 or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts