Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...Is the coil springs from a TRD 4X4 any different than the coil springs on a standard 4x4?

I can buy a new old stock set of TRD 4x4 shocks and springs from year 2008 and would like to use them on my 11.

Also, is there a aftermarket coil springs that would lift the truck level and add 2” of lift? Would the factory TRD shocks be compatible with that aftermarket lift springs?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm in a similiar situation and have been spending alot of time in the suspension/steering forum trying to decide what to do with my stock suspension. I am considering replacing my stock shocks with TRD's and changing the stock Dunlops to Mickey Thompson's MTZ's in the same size.
I don't think the stock and TRD springs are different however, the TRD shocks are superior to stock.

I see longer shocks being offered with the various spring lifts. TRD is a Bilstein shock and Bilstein makes a 5100 series shock. The 5100 front shocks are adjustable from 0" to 2.5" lift and the 5100 rears are not adjustable but accommodate 0" to 2" of lift.

Good luck and the tell the dogs I said "Hi". :bigthumb:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good to know, thanks:) The shocks are the trail tune Bilstein from the off road package, not the TRD as I thought before. I can get the full set of 4 for less than $200.
I also fond on eBay a lift kit that will lift the front 2" the rear 1" and it also comes with a front diff drop kit, cost is around $200 shipped. I'm guessing that this 2" front and 1" rear lift will level the truck???

·
Registered
476 Posts
This is probably a spacer lift as opposed to the original idea of using coils for the lift. From what I have read lift coils with longer shocks are superior for offroading.

I have read about spacer lifts that lift and level from Truxx, Readylift, Daystar and Toytec all of them work with stock shocks so the trailed tuned bilsteins will work, if not, better. Also, some spacer lifts include longer rear coils and shocks (Rough Country, Tuff Country, Skyjacker).

There is alot information with the aforementioned kits in this forum. So I guess what I am saying is to benefit from the forum's experience with these spacer lifts before purchasing. :bigthumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts