Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several threads on the forum discussing installing a lift and the use of Coil Spring Compressors so I thought I would include them here in the tool section. They come in a set of two for $36.95 at Advanced Auto. They can also be found at Northern Tool, Harbor Freight and most tool supply companies.

I purchased two sets so that I would be safe and not test the limits of just one set. The photos show them mounted on an OME front spring. These particular compressors can be used in two manners. A socket can be used to tighten them or a ½ inch extension can be inserted into the end and tightened in that manner.

I will be wrapping them with nylon tie down straps for safety as well as throwing a blanket over them in case they pop loose as I tighten them. The pictures shown of the compressors on the spring are for show only, making sure they line up well on the spring while tightening them is imperative.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Used them today, worked without flaw and would reccomend them to anyone wanting to do their own coil spring lift.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I used strut spring compressors for my rear springs and was tired of messing with them on the passenger side so I just cut them off. Not bad, cost me $40 to install my lift :).

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not need to use spring compressors on the rears, 3" lift. I released the sway bar links, the upper links at the rear and disconnected twhere the flexible brake lines meet the rear. It drops down far enogh to get the springs in. Have done two lifts that way.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just counted, all 10 still here. They work fine if you work safe. I put 4 on the strut till hand tight, wrapped them with a layer of cardboard, then nylon ratchet straps and laid them on a bench in the Hoz. position. THrew a blanket over them and tightened them down. Pretty easy actually and far cheaper than a hydraulic unit.

I'd buy one like you show if I were doing it a great deal but no need for the weekend mechanic.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i use them in pairs and have been using them for years. I thin they are pretty safe as long as you know how to use them. i use an air gun and you just need to keep switching sides every couple turns. if you use a ratchet it just takes alot more time. i have also used a wall mount and that thing was just as dangerous and took more time to set up the spring,. when i first started working on cars i used the old blanket and shoot them into a box of blankets, i would step on the strut and loosen the nut to the top. then i would put a box wrench on the nut and hit th ebox wrench with a long pipe.ghetto fab

i dont know why people talk so bad about them. just take your time

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i use them in pairs and have been using them for years. I thin they are pretty safe as long as you know how to use them. i use an air gun and you just need to keep switching sides every couple turns. if you use a ratchet it just takes alot more time. i have also used a wall mount and that thing was just as dangerous and took more time to set up the spring,. when i first started working on cars i used the old blanket and shoot them into a box of blankets, i would step on the strut and loosen the nut to the top. then i would put a box wrench on the nut and hit th ebox wrench with a long pipe.ghetto fab

i dont know why people talk so bad about them. just take your time
That is also what I did, used 4 clamps and an impact gun. I have found that most tools are just about as safe as the person using them :) If you take your time and think it through it is not a problem.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That is also what I did, used 4 clamps and an impact gun. I have found that most tools are just about as safe as the person using them :) If you take your time and think it through it is not a problem.
I have seen these compressors fail and shoot into ceilings. They are great the 8 out of 10 times that nothing goes wrong but when they fail something is getting broken/maimed/killed.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Got mine right at my local Harbor freight on sale for $56 +/- !... :silly:

Ahh. The good old finger removers.

This is the way to go

Ebay... 100 Bucks.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Got mine right at my local Harbor freight on sale for $56 +/- !... :silly:
So if you did two lifts it would pay for itself. And if you prevented a piece of metal from breaking loose and flying into your skull you might save a dollar or two.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have seen these compressors fail and shoot into ceilings. They are great the 8 out of 10 times that nothing goes wrong but when they fail something is getting broken/maimed/killed.
That is exactly why I wrapped them with a couple nylon ratchet straps and then a blanket laying over the whole set up.

·
Premium Member
12,200 Posts
In the past I have taken them to a local gargae and had them swap the springs for me.

$30.00, 15 min and one cup of coffee later an I was back to instaling.

Somethings are just easir if someone else dos it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yeha i keep hearing about them fail..

if you tighten one side too much i can see them pop out. the idea is very simple as far as the mechanics of a spring compressor. hey if you dont know how to use tools then you shouldnt be doing it in the first place. some idot in my school stuck his pencil in his eye falling asleep. should we say that pencils are dangerous. i dont believe the 8 outta 10 times for failure. i beleive there is 2 idiots for every ten people. lucky we have the good people on this forum ;)

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
So if you did two lifts it would pay for itself. ....
It paid for itself the first time I used it... I only
had to move the sway bar and the outer tie rod
out of the way, slipped this on, two pumps, and
the spring pressure was off the shocks, and I
could freely turn the spring adjusters on my
coilovers... Before this, I had to fight with two
hands and two 1/4" punches to adjust my coils...

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
In the past I have taken them to a local gargae and had them swap the springs for me.

$30.00, 15 min and one cup of coffee later an I was back to instaling.

Somethings are just easir if someone else dos it.
Pep Boys did mine for $25 and Firestone aligned them shortly later with the Lifetime Wheel alignment for under $130

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Ahh. The good old finger removers.

This is the way to go

Ebay... 100 Bucks.
Next time I will definitely go this route. I used 4 clamps and they bowed so much I was very nervous. Even with blankets.

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts