Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I don't think so... the blue one at SEMA had Donohoe Racing coil overs. I do not believe that the coil overs are standard. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
FJ Cruiser #8 said:
Does the FJ have coilovers all the way around? :confused:

Do you guys recommend any particular type of coilovers? I'm a novice in this department

·
Registered
378 Posts
ToyBox said:
Not talking from experience but the Donohoe's and OME's seem to be popular choices.
Thats my take too Toy. I wonder if it's cuz they are easy to adjust ?? :confused:
I think I'll find out more about them when the time comes. Kind of a fish out of water on this stuff..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well the FJ is based on a shortened 4RUnner platform, so it will be interesting to see exactly how much alike they are. There are already aftermarket coilovers available for the Runner and the Tacomas, so maybe the new FJ will be able to use some of those...

...time will tell.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I wrote Donohoe Racing yesterday to get some more information on their lift for the FJ. As soon as I know more - YOU TOO will know more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FJ Cruiser #8 said:
Does the FJ have coilovers all the way around? :confused:
When you say coilovers "all the way around", are you referring to the rear suspension too. If so, then the rear suspension does not have "Coilovers". It is a live solid axle that uses a 4 link system. Coil springs are used, as are shocks, but not in a single, contained unit.

Donohoe makes coilovers for the front suspension only. The rear suspension will probably be best replaced by OME.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It did not have either. It uses coils in the rear suspension, but not "coilovers". I, and most others, define a coilover as a coilspring and shock made into a self-contained unit, where the coil covers the shock and act as a single unit.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Dirk the blue FJC at SEMA did have a ""coilover" lift on the front. Not sure what it had on the back. Maybe Percy can find out. But the front was definitely the same "coilover" as used on the 4Runner. I'm not sure what is stock on the 4Runner. Where are those tacozilla4runnertypes when you need them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pancho said:
Dirk the blue FJC at SEMA did have a ""coilover" lift on the front. Not sure what it had on the back. Maybe Percy can find out. But the front was definitely the same "coilover" as used on the 4Runner. I'm not sure what is stock on the 4Runner. Where are those tacozilla4runnertypes when you need them?
Read the prior posts.

The 4runner, as with all Toyota 4wd (2 speed t-case) vehicles, has IFS and a solid rear axle. All IFS vehicles are "coilovers", except the UZJ100, which uses torsion bars instead of coils. A "coilover lift" simply means you have either replaced the coil covering the stock shock or replaced the entire unit with a Donohoe or SAW. The spring rates are usually stronger than stock, hence creating a "lift" and more firm ride. The coilover is what is used in the front suspension only!

The blue FJ at SEMA had OME coils, NOT COILOVERS in the rear. They are the OME coils used for The Landcruiser Prado and are currently being imported for use in '03 to current 4Runners.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No, it does not have leaf springs. It has what we call a 4 link suspension. Exactly like a 4runner.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The good news is that when the FJC is released, the aftermarket will be ready to do business. Word on the street is that the front suspension follows exactly to that of the current 4runner (03+) and current tacoma (05+). This means that you'll already have the option of lifting your rig w/o any problems. The rear should be the same as the 4runner but I'd have to check up on that to confirm.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Here's Donahoe Racing's response to my inquiry on what was installed to lift the blue SEMA FJC:
> They are actually available now and they retail for
> $995.00 per set. The
> part number is 5-8630 and can be purchased through
> any of our distributors.
> Thanks
>
> Mike Crosby
> National Sales Manager
> Donahoe Racing Enterprises
> (714) 632-3033
> [email protected]
> www.donahoeracing.com
and the rear:
>The only thing we did in the rear was add our prototype rear shocks.
>Thanks

So yes the front must just like the 4Runner/Tacoma since the part# is the same. The rear a ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Donohoe racing supplied alot of the suspension parts, but TLC of SoCal is the company that built the FJ for the SEMA show.

·
Registered
17 Posts
there is a guy named pre-runner greg of PRG in SoCal that makes quality machined aluminum coilover spacers for nissan titans. i purchased and installed mine recently. this is a nice option to the $995.00 for new coilover assemblies. the spacers for my truck i believe came in around $200.00 something. get back with details

1 - 19 of 19 Posts