Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K&N cold air intake and it seems to just be sitting out where it would suck water right in if i got under any sort of mud. I want to get the safari snorkel but i am wondering if that comes with a box to close in the air filter or if i would have to get a seperate box for that. And if so, which one should i get and about how much am i looking at spending?
thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You'd have to get an entire new intake or go back to stock to use the snorkel effectively. Something like the AFE or TRD would be better with a snorkel. The snorkel does not come with a box or anything like that. From the snorkel body there is a hose/tube that goes in and connects through the fenderwell to the intake.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i love my cold air intake. do you really not think that i could box it in and it still work fine with the snorkel? Are you saing there would not be enough air flow with the snorkel to operate the cold air intake or what??
thanks alot

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I think what Layonn was trying to relay was that;

1. The snorkel does not include any under-hood parts, just a tube to get through the fender.
2. An intake system that is already equipped with an enclosure (as seen above) would be a better starting
point for something like this.

Airflow would not be a problem. As for your ability to fabricate your own custom completely watertight box to house your K&N Intake... Well that's entirely up to you. The entire point of a snorkel is to get the point of air entry high enough that water and dust do not enter the air intake easily if at all. If the intake system below the snorkel is not completely sealed all the way to the engine it defeats the purpose of having a snorkel in the first place.

All that being said I'm assuming you're not just interested in a snorkel for looks.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
If you want the best of BOTH worlds, cool air and no water intake, for not so much bank, you need to drop the K&N and put the factory intake back on with a snorkel. You will get cleaner and cooler air this way (proven so by much experimentation and a Scangauge) for everyday driving, and a snorkel for when things get a little crazy :rocker:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i definately need the snorkel for off roading however are you really saying that the K&N cold air intake does not make performance better? and if i am going to fabricate my own box do yall no anywhere near bham al that does stuff like that?
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
10yrs ago I was all over having a K&N filter in my stock airbox, but the truth of the matter is that fabric filters that use oil in order to catch dirt (otherwise the finer particles would go right through) eventually cause residue buildup on the MAF sensor. Paper filters flow less air, but they are much more protective and keep things cleaner. Possibly getting wet is the only bad thing for paper, really. Like Apexbasher said, the cleanest, coolest (temperature-wise) air intake you can run is probably a safari snorkel on the stock intake. Personally I like the idea of Volant's PowerCore filters over the K&N filter.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I hooked up my AFE CAI box to the safari snorkel. You just need to get the parts and do some cutting to make it work. ShadowWarrior has a thread in the how to section.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In my experience with other vehicles you wouldn't get any noticeable "power increase" from the K&N unless you were running at drag racing speeds, something you don't do in an FJ. You want torque at lower RPMs, not peak HP near redline.
If you really like the looks of the K&N then fine, build a sealed box around the filter and plumb it to the snorkel. But as stated above, it has to be -SEALED-.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can i just gt a new filter to attach to the cold air intake that has a sealed in boxwith it, the get a snorkel on that?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The snorkels I've seen come in through the passenger fender with a round hose connection (not sure the exact size but it would be the stock hose size) right where the stock intake goes into the fender. So if you can put your new box inlet at that spot then you can use that box with the snorkel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, so i am still a little bit confused, can someone please post a link to an air filter box or air filter and box that would be the cheapest for me to get my K&N ready for a snorkel?
thanks, still learning alot

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
ok, so i am still a little bit confused, can someone please post a link to an air filter box or air filter and box that would be the cheapest for me to get my K&N ready for a snorkel?
thanks, still learning alot
I doubt there is just a box you can buy. You could just buy the entire AFE set up and modify that box to fit your snorkel. That is what I did.

Shaddow Warrior has a post in the how to thread; relatively easy to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts