Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Cold Air Intakes (CAI) - 2011 FJ Cruiser Question

31K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  domino_fj 
#1 ·
Is it worth $400 to purchase a cold air intake for 2011 FJ Cruiser? Is there anything to gain by purchasing it? From browsing the forum, a few thread responses say there is nothing different between factory and aftermarket. Please chime in.

#2 ·
Is it worth $400?...well it all depends on what you are looking for. I think An after market intake is worth it, you may not feel much difference in power but you get the sound and in the long run you save money because you dont ever have to pay for another filter. I dont remember how much the factory filter costs to replace but after a couple of years the CAI intake will pay for itself. You might even see some improvement in mpg's if you keep you foot out of it :clap:

#3 ·
You can acnieve the same saving that synrg pointed out by replacing your stock filter element with the hi flow TRD filter element.

Suggest you stick with the stock CAI and just change replace the stock filter with a hi flow, either a dry one from AFE or the oiled one from TRD

#21 ·
G'day,
Sorry for being a bit slow, but i don't get it.
I've read all the posts on this thread, and i can't figure out if its a good idea to replace the CAI on my 2011 FJ, for what benefit. ?

It sounds like the 2011 already has a CAI, which isn't quite as good as a TRD CAI ? and the TRD makes the FJ sound better. And i never have to replace the filter in the TRD unit, so then it might be worth it long term ?
Sorry for being confused....
Baz

#4 ·
It's not a CAI but the new K&N 77 Series Metal air intake is nice. I installed it yesterday and love it. It's loud at high RPM's and personally I feel that it helped give a better acceleration ... just my opinion. I had the K&N panel filter in the stock CAI and it felt a little better than the Toyota filter, but nothing major.

#7 ·
what's the deal with filters and the CAI? does the CAI come with a filter? and if not, can i just transfer the K&N filter from my stock filter box into the CAI? will it fit?

oh...or are these questions unanswerable because there is no CAI for the 2011 yet? :confused:

#8 ·
There are a few 'deals" here which are applicable with regards to the 2010 and up FJ.

Till a few months ago the official TRD CAI for the 2010 and up FJ was not ready so the option was to either replace the stock filter element in the stock box with a Hi Flow version either from K&N or TRD themselves. ( which is apparently what you have done right ?)

The other option was/is to install a 77 or 63 series K&N intake. These are hi flow intakes and not cold air intakes.

Then early this year TRD launched a CAI for the 2010 and up FJ which is now availabe freely and it comes with a filter.

And YES TRD is selling a CAI with filter for use in your 2011 FJ....its around $400.00

Now the only question I can see that really needs to be answered is whether its actually worth spending the $400 and getting a TRD CAI or just removing and plugging the holes for teh resonators on the stock intake and dropping in a hi flow filter.

If the part number for the Hi Flow TRD drop in filter and teh one used on the TRD CAI is the same then one is better off staying with the stock intake and just plugging the holes for the sound baffles.

#9 ·
I will be replacing the entire intake system with the TRD CAI soon. The improvements to the mpg will be minimal, but the power increase is worth it.

If you open your stock intake where the pre-filter is, you will see another filter riveted in place behind the removable filter element. I cut that useless thing out which has been there since I bought my FJ in 2007!

I have an oiled K&N filter in there without that restrictive pr-filter, and there is a definite difference in power, sound and mpg!

The advantage to the TRD CAI will be the following:
removal of the engine cover
addition (your choice) of a throttle body spacer
smoother air intake as the tubing is less restrictive
cooler and more dense air getting into the intake system

:cheers::bigthumb:

#10 ·
LOL...the air will not be any cooler that compared to what the stock intake is feeding the engine as the TRD CAI and the stock intake are both enclosed sealed boxes drawing the air from exactly the same location in the firewall.

I would love to see pictures of exactly where this pre fiter is located as I have looked hard for it on my Gulf Spec 2010 FJ and found nothing.

The engine cover can be removed even while running the stock intake which is also a CAI. You can also add a throttle body space while running the stock intake !

The only advantage a TRD CAI for 2010 and up FJ has over the stock CAI is the straight thru tubing without the sound baffles and a hi flow filter element That is all.

If the sound baffles are removed and the holes capped and you drop in a Hi flow filter in the box you will have the same effect as a TRD CAI including the sound.

The stock system is a very well designed CAI and is the reason why TRD was not able to introduce a CAI earlier and for TRD not willing to quote performace gains with the new TRD CAI compared with the stock CAI.....There is probably a very slight power gain

#11 ·
Good stuff.
On my 07, the extra filter element remains in place when you remove the replaceable filter element. That is the one I cut out.

I am not even sure what a newer edition FJ has.

What I did notice immediately upon removal of that filter was better mpg and initial power at the lower rpm range, which I suspect you are dead on when you stated that the TRD CAI is going to similar.

Do you have the throttle body spacer on your? If so, which make?

Also, do you see any need to get the TRD CAI to replace my K&N filter in the stock intake system, or should I keep the configuration as is now?

#12 ·
Firstly please clarify if you are talking about your 07 FJ or a 2010+ FJ ?

For a pre 2010 FJ a TRD CAI will have great benefits and power gains but for the 2010 and up FJ its not the case as teh factory system is almost exactly the same design as the TRD CAI except for the hi flow filter and the sound baffles.

Once you tell me what model FJ you are talking about we can get down to specifics as there is a considerable difference in the intakes.

Regarding the Throttle Boday Spacer I am about to get the AFE brand. Its a nice well designed spacer that has just been introduced.

As the 2010 and up was a redesigned engine the aftermarket suppliers have taken a whiel to introduce performance accessories for them hense the delay.

I waited one full year for the TRD CAI for the 2010 and then got tired ofwaiting and got teh 77 Series K & N instead which I am quiet happy with.

#14 ·
If you are looking to increase the power output from your 07 FJ the following items in the same order are recommemded.

1. TRD CAI
2. TRD Cat Back
4. TBS - Power Aid
5. DT Long tube headers.
6. UNICHIP

Please ensure you get the UNICHIP at the very end as if you do so earlier and them add on say the headers you will have o get the UNICHIP retued so its best to keep the UNICHIP as the last performance mod.

I had an 08 and was running the TRD CAI, Cat back Power Aid TBS and the UNICHIP and the performance gains were awsome.

Couldn't afford the headers.

Now I have a 2010 and its got a 77 Series K&N Intake, TRD Catback and UNICHIP. I will get the TBS and the DT long tube headers installed and will have to get the UNICHIP tuned at the end.

Hope the above helps.

#15 ·
Awesome, thanks.

Right now I have the Doug Thorley shortie headers, but plan to get the front cats cut off and replaced with just tubes.

The CAI will be next as well as the throttle body spacer and finally the Unichip.

Thanks again for your advice. I hope the others who read this tread can be assisted as well.

Joe:wave::cheers:

#16 ·
I read this posting prior to installing my K&N 60 series CAI. I am glad I did.

I have a 2010 FJ, have 33,000 miles and have driven it multiple trips from PA to KS this summer without the CAI. I averaged 21 MPG on those trips, with a speed of 70-80 MPH.

I just made a round trip from PA to the KY/TN border and maintained 23.9-24.8 on fill ups. I've noticed the improved sound and an increase in takeoff and acceleration when using the passing gear.

I'm happy with the 60 series' improvements.

Next is the free flowing exhaust and additional exhaust notes.:rocker:

#19 ·
I think the reason they took so long for the 2010+ CAI is that aprt from the sound baffles and the prefilter, it already has a cai. I bought the trd and while it looks really cool and when I stomp on it, it sounds really cool, there is no other real benefit. Gas mileage is the same unless I want the really cool sound, then the mileage goes down. It does look pretty and matches my TRD exhaust. That chrome tip is the sh*t.

#29 ·
Disagree. If you want to run an oiled filter, change it out to a dry element before you go offroad. This is what I have always been told and in my own experience on a previous truck the oiled filters are not good for very dusty conditions.

#27 ·
I bought and extra filter and cleaning kit so I wouldn't have to wait for the one I clean to dry before oiling it. I am inpatient sometimes :)

#33 ·
LOL..I should have clarified....I am running a 77 series K&N Intake with the exposed filter....you can imagine how dirty that gets in desert driving conditions.

I guess if you are using the OE boxed intake than its your personal choice whether to go with a dry or an oiled filter....maybe the dry filter will let more air pass compared to the oiled one

#34 ·
Hey folks, first post... when you have a few minutes, have a look and read at the link.

Duramax Air Filter Testing * - Diesel Bombers

I won't touch cotton gauze filters anymore... unfortunately I learned the hard way, and lost a couple of ATV engines using high flow filters. Filtes are not performance equipment, they are protection equipment. If it is causing a drop in flow, it needs to be larger.

#37 ·
What is the hose for going to one chamber? Can it be removed? Can you give me the link to this mod thread? Does the TRD CAI use the same filter size as this one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.