Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the cold weather has come around, I've been noticing that it takes a while for my 2010 with 5k miles on it to come up to what I think is full running temperature. Longer that what I would expect. Today I notice that it took about 20 minutes of driving around residential area roads (25-35 mph) for the temp to get up to where I think is normal running temp on the gauge, where it is pointing to the lower side of the "D" in drive. After reading the thread on the thermostat being stuck open, I'm starting to wonder if that's my issue. My mileage always sucked, but I had blamed it on my 3 mile commute and the fact that I'm never warming up by the time I get to work. So, here's a question for everyone. About how long does it take to get your engine up to running temperature in say, 30F weather? I'm thinking 20 minutes is too long. On top of that I'm getting terrible gas mileage. I'm down to 1/4 of a tank and the trip odometer is at 143 miles for this tank.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a long drive up into the mountains this coming Friday for a January winter offroad trip, so I've thought about partially blocking the radiator during that drive to see if it helps the mileage and get better heat. The more I read on the forum about the thermostat, the more I think I'm not running at a good engine temp. Damn idiot gauges. How the hell are you supposed to know what temp it's at or what's normal. Certainly not by the gauge. Anyone ever install a digital thermostat or at least a gauge with friggin numbers on it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I live in CO, and this morning it -5. Eight minutes of idle plus 3-5 minutes of light driving to hit normal running temp. If its 30ish out I will let it idle for about five minutes before light driving. And then it only takes a couple minutes to get up too temp.
There are things that could cause longer warm up. Like oil, thicker means slower warm up (more lubrication).
But that still seems a bit excessive for warm up.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have a long drive up into the mountains this coming Friday for a January winter offroad trip, so I've thought about partially blocking the radiator during that drive to see if it helps the mileage and get better heat. The more I read on the forum about the thermostat, the more I think I'm not running at a good engine temp. Damn idiot gauges. How the hell are you supposed to know what temp it's at or what's normal. Certainly not by the gauge. Anyone ever install a digital thermostat or at least a gauge with friggin numbers on it?
Scangauge II works great. Synthetic fluids also in the engine,diff's etc. If you aren't getting much heat from the vents at full heat position even after 10-15 minutes of highway speeds I'd say new T-stat is in order. With ambient temp. at 12F when I came into work tonight I had 182F showing on the Scangauge after about 5 miles of driving at about 60 mph.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just got home from a quick trip up to the local store. I have not driven the FJ for a few days. It is 24 degrees tonight. I let it warm up for about 30 seconds and started driving easy down the street. At the end of the road (1.1 miles) I could feel some heat. After another 2 or 3 miles I had plenty of heat and turned the temperature down to about half way (between the blue and the red on the dial). I could have only been driving for 5 or 6 minutes at that point. I didn't look at the temperature guage, but as far as heat in the cabin goes, mine heats up pretty quickly. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I was up in the Guadalupe Mountains in Lincoln National Forest, NM, a week ago and it was just in the teens for temps. I was amazed at how fast the engine in my 2007 FJ heated up. I had warm air after 5 mins of idle and a little over a mile of driving.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've found that if you hold it to where the rev limiter is active you warm it up faster.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
35 deg right now. Drive home is ~3 miles or ~10 min driving @ 35-45 m/h. It took ~10 min before my coolant reached 181 deg. If I hadn't gotten into the SC a little bit a couple of times, I'm not sure I would have made it to 181 before I parked it in the garage.

BTW, I just changed my t-stat 2 days ago and I do have better heat now.

Here is my gauge mod.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Now that is a sweet mod. :rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
460 Posts
hmm... well this is all very interesting.. So not to get all off topic and such.. but I'll at least address your question. :cheers:

You mentioned that you're getting especially bad mileage on this tank but have you been getting consistent bad mileage? If this is your first tank of bad mileage plus slow warm up and have you also noticed any other differences? When you start the truck does your Maintenance Required light blink for about 10 seconds (longer than all other lights)? If you don't know, go check. It could be that your T-Stat is in fact faulty and that would certainly provide the following unfavorable symptoms.

Let me know... And good luck!

·
Admin
8,939 Posts
It all sounds normal to me.

Keep in mind the following points re: fuel mileage in winter
  • gear oil is more viscous (full synthetic will help a bit)
  • you likely have the defrost on the front, this cycles the A/C, which is good to keep the windows clear but takes more fuel
  • the colder it is, the longer it takes to warm up the Fj... try plugging in your block heater ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm... well this is all very interesting.. So not to get all off topic and such.. but I'll at least address your question. :cheers:

You mentioned that you're getting especially bad mileage on this tank but have you been getting consistent bad mileage? If this is your first tank of bad mileage plus slow warm up and have you also noticed any other differences? When you start the truck does your Maintenance Required light blink for about 10 seconds (longer than all other lights)? If you don't know, go check. It could be that your T-Stat is in fact faulty and that would certainly provide the following unfavorable symptoms.

Let me know... And good luck!
First of all, great feedback guys. I appreciate the observations.

The Maint light is not blinking longer. I'd say that my mileage has always sucked. Again, I've been blaming it on a very short commute, which would probably be the case even if everything was working correctly.

I do think however that the temperature increase from a cold start certainly varies on ambient temperature. I recall when the cold weather broke last spring I was surprised at how quickly the temp gauge came up to running temp. Almost to the point of concern and I had a couple of friends with FJs tell me where "normal" running temp was on the gauge. It was fine, I just wasn't used to it. That should tell you how often I see normal running temp! I know that when it's up to temp, it stays put, doesn't vary so that's good I think. I just have the feeling that I'm not running at an optimal temp, maybe enough degrees lower that this affects mileage and performance.

It's also possible that my newly installed Exp One bumper and Warn winch are funneling the cold air into the radiator. Both the bumper and the Warn have a raked front edge that may be channeling the air towards the grill. I guess I needs me a pair of big offroad lights up there in front of the grill to block some of that air!

I'm certainly going to look into one of the ScanGauge II. Seems like a nice addition to the high-tech ****pit. The extra info will be a big plus. I've always added more detailed gauges to my rigs to monitor the running conditions. I'm going to put a piece of cardboard in front of a portion of the radiator to see if it warms up quicker. If it does, that would lead me to think that the thermostat is not holding closed on initial warmup.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL, the language cops censored "c0ckpit"

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
There is no need to block the radiator with cardboard.

-20F here this morning, 10 min warm up before driving with in 10 min the FJ was throwing enough hear to cook a pop-tart.

FJ was not plugged in.

Your mpg's will improve as you get more miles on it.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
32 deg this morning. Cold start with engine coolant at 46 deg. It took almost exactly 10 min for the coolant to reach 181 deg. City driving, 35 max speed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If the engine heats up too slowly due to a stuck thermostat or something it should throw a code.

Also the cabin heater is basically a heat exchanger. If you have it cranked while warming up, it will take longer for the engine to get up to temperature.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts