Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'07 FJC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the old days, yes I'm dating myself here, we used to slide a piece of cardboard down in front of the radiator to limit the cold air flow, thus increasing coolant fluid temperatures to rise for improved interior heating.
Has anyone done that with their FJs here? My daughter advises that it takes a long time for the temps to rise in the cabin on cold days/evenings.
Cheers in advance for any experiences here mates.
Standing by,
G

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
I have never found a need for it, the FJ warms up quick and throws heat like its going out of style. I routinely see winter temps of 0F and stretches were it is -30 - -40F.

I would check the coolant ensure it is a good mix
Possibly the thermostat

·
Registered
'07 FJC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never found a need for it, the FJ warms up quick and throws heat like its going out of style. I routinely see winter temps of 0F and stretches were it is -30 - -40F.

I would check the coolant ensure it is a good mix
Possibly the thermostat
Thanks for the thread M. I'll take a closer look at her coolant level.
Cheers mate,
G

·
Admin
7,922 Posts
x2 on what Mikey has said.

No issues here.

Make sure it's the RIGHT coolant as well.

🍻 🍻🍻

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might want to consider it possibly being the thermostat. If the thermostat is not closing completely the coolant is constantly flowing through the cooling system with little or no resistance. The thermostat regulates the coolant temperature between top and bottom tanks of the radiator, usually a 10-15F differential. If your doing a flush and new coolant... replacement with OEM thermostat might be timely.

·
Registered
'07 FJC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want to consider it possibly being the thermostat. If the thermostat is not closing completely the coolant is constantly flowing through the cooling system with little or no resistance. The thermostat regulates the coolant temperature between top and bottom tanks of the radiator, usually a 10-15F differential. If your doing a flush and new coolant... replacement with OEM thermostat might be timely.
Thanks for the Comms @T-Orca. Can you also advise on what the suggested mileage for the timing belt on these 6 pots is? Assume it's ~100K? We should also consider water pump replacement while we're in there and the thermostat and new hoses correct? She's currently up over 170K so if my assumptions are correct, we should be able to knock them all out at 200K.
Cheers in advance mate,
G

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Thanks for the Comms @T-Orca. Can you also advise on what the suggested mileage for the timing belt on these 6 pots is? Assume it's ~100K? We should also consider water pump replacement while we're in there and the thermostat and new hoses correct? She's currently up over 170K so if my assumptions are correct, we should be able to knock them all out at 200K.
Cheers in advance mate,
G
No timing belt, the 4.0L has a timing chain.

Reactions: Eighteen11R
1 - 11 of 11 Posts