Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
I have to say my 8 man Instant tent did very well at Jambo considering it was involved in a hail storm. Ordered the 8 man rain fly and the idiots at Colaman/ Amazon sent the 6 man wrapped in an 8 man bag... great QA/QC at the factory...

Anyways it leaked a little on one seam- nothing too terrible considering the amount of rain we all saw. Plus my tent was on a slight incline so that may have played a role in it.

For the ease of use, money and all around build quality- its hard to beat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in a little late but wondered if it does have a fly included or available. Not so much for rain but for direct sun.

Ooops read first, then post. Didn't realize we had 13 pages. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
no fly included since its not necessary, does fine with sun cover

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I'm in a little late but wondered if it does have a fly included or available. Not so much for rain but for direct sun.

Ooops read first, then post. Didn't realize we had 13 pages. :rolleyes:
:lol: I do that sometimes, too. My Instant Tent 6 leaked at the seams, through a small hole that had been worn in the tent fabric (during shipping I'd guess), and sweated on the inside like crazy. Some extra waterproofing and seam sealing worked wonders, but it still needed a fly. The fly shrugged off moisture just fine and even lessened the amount of condensate inside the top of the tent. However it was not so reflective that it lessened the heat inside during the day and the tent was very warm, more likely due to the dark blue sides as anything else. A shaded area or popup awning would be a better method of keeping it cool inside during a hot sunny day, though the popup idea seems kind of redundant, lol. I have seen some other color Instant Tents with green or orange where mine is blue. Maybe those are cooler...

:cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
:lol: I do that sometimes, too. My Instant Tent 6 leaked at the seams, through a small hole that had been worn in the tent fabric (during shipping I'd guess), and sweated on the inside like crazy. Some extra waterproofing and seam sealing worked wonders, but it still needed a fly. The fly shrugged off moisture just fine and even lessened the amount of condensate inside the top of the tent. However it was not so reflective that it lessened the heat inside during the day and the tent was very warm, more likely due to the dark blue sides as anything else. A shaded area or popup awning would be a better method of keeping it cool inside during a hot sunny day, though the popup idea seems kind of redundant, lol. I have seen some other color Instant Tents with green or orange where mine is blue. Maybe those are cooler...

:cheers:
Thanks, :)
I was asking about the fly in the sun because some tents turn into broilers down in the Baja sun. That airgap makes a difference. I'll take a look and see.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
bumping this back up.

well I never let it go that the Aussie version of the instant tents got the better rainfly and a few weeks ago emailed their customer service again asking about how to order it as a replacement part. turns out that this reply netted some good news. they responded this time that they will be offering it soon as they get their replacement parts website up, which they are hoping will be by Christmas. :)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Dude!..

bumping this back up.

well I never let it go that the Aussie version of the instant tents got the better rainfly and a few weeks ago emailed their customer service again asking about how to order it as a replacement part. turns out that this reply netted some good news. they responded this time that they will be offering it soon as they get their replacement parts website up, which they are hoping will be by Christmas. :)
You friggin' rock!

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
:mecry:Sweet baby Jesus

The Aussie parts site is up with the "cool" rain fly listed but they want ~$130 AUD for it which is still $125 USD.
Coleman - Repair Parts: RNRP
Seeing as how the Instant tent 4 person there is almost $300 AUD anyway I'm inclinded to think the price isn't a typo :(

Also not sure if anyone has checked but the US Coleman site now has a replacement parts site up too :)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Re: Updated Rainfly Coming?..

:werd:

Hopefully we get something similar to those rainflys for the Aussie 4/6/8-Person 'Instant Up' tents, and hopefully they won't be a $130/$170/$180 accessory in our market here.

I'd rather not pay more for the fly than I did for my 6-person tent (on sale, of course).

Instant Up 4P

Instant Up 6P

Instant Up 8P

I figure there is still a chance we'll get something more like the old Aussie Instant Up fly. I'd definitely prefer something like the ones shown above, but even the older design (shown below) would be an improvement in a downpour over what is currently available to us in the States.

Fingers crossed, eh?..

121 - 132 of 132 Posts