Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another testament to the structural integrity and safety of the FJ Cruiser. While driving my '08 FJ Trail Teams back to my home in Costa Rica, I was struck by a semi truck that had crossed the center lane going in the opposite direction. The force of the collision (very close to a head on but more of a violent side swipe) ripped off the left front wheel, causing me to lose control and cross the opposing lane of traffic and into an embankment. Glass shattered and the airbags in the steering wheel, driver's seat and left side curtain deployed. My dog who had been in his usual front passenger seat position with head out the window ended up at my feet, with only a bruised rib cage. I suffered only cuts and some whiplash trauma and I do believe my FJ saved our lives or certainly protected us from more serious injury.

The photos are after the FJ was taken to the Toyota Collision Center in San Jose. The vehicle has been declared a total loss. I will be replacing it with another FJ that I will import from the USA. It's actually less money to ship one here than purchasing a new one. The Toyota distributor only stocks new base units that are priced around $50,000.

Gracias a Dios por el FJ.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
G'day,
Ouch, but good that your FJ protected you and your pup.
Even better than you are getting another FJ.
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Very happy that you and your dog were able to tell us this story, thanks to the FJ. Good luck with your new FJ, and hope that you and your dog heal well!

·
Registered
999 Posts
You are ok. Glad to hear that.

FJ rocks !! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
16,938 Posts
Glad to hear you and your dog are safe.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
WOW!
Like everyone said, I'm glad everyone's OK. Its interesting to see the side curtains deployed. I have never seen what those look like. (Thanks goodness)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Heck of a collision glad you are both good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Yikes! Glad you are relatively unscathed.

More and more often I hear the same story of how well the FJ took care of the occupants in a severe crash. Makes me sad they are discontinuing it.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
38,074 Posts
Glad to hear you made it out okay. That's a pretty bad crash.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Just keeps reaffirming how much I love these things. Even my 5 year old daughter told me she feels safe in it. Glad you and the doggie are alright. Good you hear you are getting a new one! ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
A family member went without a scratch in a head-on collision in their FJ that made me decide to buy one for myself. Glad you and the dog are ok and that another FJ is in your future....

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Glad you and the dog made it out OK. Too bad on the FJ but it did its job. Good luck in finding a replacement.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts