Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of us are heading out to Colorado in August. One of the couples in our group, doesn't have a 4wd. They are looking for some where to rent a jeep. We will be around the Great Sand Dunes National Park. We were planning on camping on Medano pass the first night, and approaching from the east. Our best option would be on the east side, but I understand the choices may be limited. An internet search has turned up very little. Any help you could give would be appreciated. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
A group of us are heading out to Colorado in August. We will be around the Great Sand Dunes National Park.
Nothing wrong with Dunes, but you're in Colorado during peak offroading season, very close to some of the best offroading scenery in the country. If you're going to be here for more than a few days, I'd be happy to suggest some places to add onto the visit.

They are looking for some where to rent a jeep.

Our best option would be on the east side, but I understand the choices may be limited. An internet search has turned up very little.
Here's one in Salida, about 90 minutes north of the sand dunes:

Jeep Rentals, Camper Rentals

Prices start at $140/day for 2-door Wrangler Sport and go up to $250/day for a 4-door (doesn't mention Rubicon/lockers or not).

The traditional car rental companies figured out a long time ago that renting high-clearance short-wheelbase 4x4's along the front range to tourists was a losing proposition. Which is why these prices are so high, and limited to mountain towns.

Be sure to post a picture of the rental agreement that they have to sign, I'm sure the lawyer that drafted it earned every dollar :rofl:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing wrong with Dunes, but you're in Colorado during peak offroading season, very close to some of the best offroading scenery in the country. If you're going to be here for more than a few days, I'd be happy to suggest some places to add onto the visit.

Prices start at $140/day for 2-door Wrangler Sport and go up to $250/day for a 4-door (doesn't mention Rubicon/lockers or not).

The traditional car rental companies figured out a long time ago that renting high-clearance short-wheelbase 4x4's along the front range to tourists was a losing proposition. Which is why these prices are so high, and limited to mountain towns.

Be sure to post a picture of the rental agreement that they have to sign, I'm sure the lawyer that drafted it earned every dollar :rofl:
No, we will end up in the Saint Elmo Area (Mt. Antero Road, Williams Pass, Han**** Pass), and camping there. The Medano..is just the warmup, and overnight camp spot, at the end of driving there from OKC.

We Have been extensively going to the Lake City, Ouray, Telluride, Westcliff, and Leadville areas for years, and wanted to try something new.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The only issues you will have on the Medano pass area is the water crossing. Only one small obstacle at the peak. I have crossed the sand areas a couple of times and have yet to air down to do it. Just watch for the knuckle heads that think they have the right of way to drive down the middle and you should move for them.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
No, we will end up in the Saint Elmo Area (Mt. Antero Road, Williams Pass, Han**** Pass), and camping there. The Medano..is just the warmup, and overnight camp spot, at the end of driving there from OKC.

We Have been extensively going to the Lake City, Ouray, Telluride, Westcliff, and Leadville areas for years, and wanted to try something new.
Any suggestions are certainly appreciated, though! We will be somewhat hampered by the rent-a-heep though. All of the FJs are heavily modded.
No suggestions, your list already has plenty of great runs :rocker:

Most of the locals do Saturday/Sunday runs, so if you wanted to invite a few folks along when you're here post in the Colorado forum.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Just watch for the knuckle heads that think they have the right of way to drive down the middle and you should move for them.
That's not limited to Colorado. I was cruising the beach a couple weeks ago, minding my own business, and I noticed some crazy lady cussing me out as we passed each other. I don't know what I did, but she was hot as fish grease about it! I imagine I was in the harder packed "road", which forced her to drive on something soft? I really don't know. Maybe it was because I wasn't paying any attention to her or her perceived driving line? Anyway I've had tons of people drive straight at me with every off road light ever sold mounted on their truck, then expect me to drive around them. I usually just gently move into their path and STOP. I can't see $#!% so I just stop and let them go around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts