Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are most people painting themselves? Or is there somewhere I can get a blue?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Are most people painting themselves? Or is there somewhere I can get a blue?
Most do paint them themselves. I go for a nice bright Orange so I can see the pin when I drop it in the weeds. (ok good Metal-tech color as well) Quality rattle can is what I have used, with a primer. They get dinged up quick but easy to touch up if you want to.

Mark

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
i don't know any place that makes all blue shackles most people paint there's but as soon as you use it the paint will get all messed up (my 2 cents) but here is a link to some i found that have blue pins Extreme 4x4 Ltd BLUE PIN BOW SHACKLES

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Powder coat or rubberized tool dip. Both will scratch or gouge during use though I would think. Easiest would be to clean them up as best you can and rattle them. Then touch up is easy. There are plastic inserts for shackles that keep them from rattling but I can't find a link.

Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Synthetic Rubber Dip Coating

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. Im getting quite good with a rattle can. I like the plastic dip too...

What about that caliper paint? Better?

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Thanks for the input. Im getting quite good with a rattle can. I like the plastic dip too...

What about that caliper paint? Better?
Just gonna waste more money on paint :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roger.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Powder coat or rubberized tool dip. Both will scratch or gouge during use though I would think. Easiest would be to clean them up as best you can and rattle them. Then touch up is easy. There are plastic inserts for shackles that keep them from rattling but I can't find a link.

Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Synthetic Rubber Dip Coating
Plastic inserts work well but are hard to find as you pointed out. I found heat shrink tubing works great. I've used heat shrink tubing in various widths, colors, and thickness to isolate, protect and insulate electrical wires from 4/0 to smaller gage wires. I also use it to protect and quiet just about anything. Simple to find at your local electrical parts or hardware store.

Aloha

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Yeah I remember seeing the inserts online somewhere....Might have been ARB or Keeper...No idea. But I like the idea of heat shrink. I never dreamed that they would make a sleeve big enough to slide over a shackle loop though....cool.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
952 Posts
Rattle can - fluorescent green.
Now the Metaltech orange would be great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts