Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had my cousin down from Burns Oregon for the weekend and since Burns is in high desert country in Eastern Oregon, we thought we would show him some of our desert.

So Saturday we headed to the Colosseum mine. We took a "short cut" that added probably 2-3 hours to the trip, but its all worth it.

A map of our route with wonderful Pahrump at the upper left.

Once we got off the pavement onto our short cut, the flowering desert was very apparent.

Then we encounter a wildlife watering hole, courtesy of the Nevada Dept of Wildlife.

The first town was Goodsprings and we found a project rig

Does anyone know what this is?

A nice new home being built there

On towards the mine - our lunch spot

A local looking on

Further up the shelf road, more flowers. Our FJ hiding

To be continued........

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
so once we got to the mine, the gate was open.

Some very large boulders at the top

For a comparison here the FJ next to a couple

The mine in the 1980's and 90's produced 7000 ounces of gold per WEEK for about 12 years.
It's too large for one pic, but a few will give you the scale

Down at the bottom

To give perspective

Pulling out of the mine

This thing is huge. Who knows how deep the water is, all we know is that the edge drops almost verticle out of sight.

After at least an hour we headed out to find our way to civilisation which was not easy. Our guide book, BackCountry Adventures by Massey and Wilson was not so clear as to the way. We think some roads have been rebladed and replanted since they went through.

On one of our "mistake" roads we met some neat longhorns

We finally found the right road and went by Greene's cabin

Had to get "Bob" the FJ into it

We then wound our way west and north towards home. The country is absolutely beautiful. A few more pics on our way out.

One last shot

We left at 9am and were back home by 6pm. What a way to spend the day.

·
Registered
695 Posts
That mine is unbelievable! Thanks for sharing the adventure.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
wonderful trail report, great pics, and that is soo cool you could drive down into that mine, i was hoping for a water crossing pic, but you probably need a snorkel for that eh? lol

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I have to give MrsNevadaesh all the credit for the photos. I should have right up front but I neglected it.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Great photos and write up. It's a privilege to be able to access these lands.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Makes me miss the SW!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Whaaa, it's still cold and very rainy up here in Orygun. Cousin Jim and Aunt Millie had to return to snow and cold in Eastern Orygun.
Great pics MrsNevadaesh and description nevadaesh (brother Gary).....:cheers:

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
WOW.. You're killing me here.. That's just gorgeous.. My dream home! Ron

We had my cousin down from Burns Oregon for the weekend and since Burns is in high desert country in Eastern Oregon, we thought we would show him some of our desert.

So Saturday we headed to the Colosseum mine. We took a "short cut" that added probably 2-3 hours to the trip, but its all worth it.

A nice new home being built there

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
very nice why didnt ya drive through the little puddle at the botom of the mine?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts