Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a buddy come into town and told him I was going to paint the bezel a flat black like many of the forum members here. He actually suggested I should use a gloss black. So I said why not!? I hadn’t seen anyone try this look yet and I can always paint it again if it doesn’t look right.

So here it is!

Let me know what you think.

I developed my process from reading about some of ya’lls success stories and wanted to do the simplest and cheapest method of painting the bezel.

Tools/Material:
10mm Socket Wrench, 1 Philips screw driver, 1 Flat head , 1 Can of Adhesion Promotor, 1 Can of Rust-oleum Gloss Black Paint
60 Degrees outside (55 minimum) with 30% humidity or less. This is the recommended conditions when painting outside. I had to wait 2 extra days for the weather to warm up.

Steps:
1. Take off bezel, 2 clips, 2 screws. Takes about 1 min using 10mm socket wrench and flat head to pop clips.
2. Remove honey comb grill, couple screws in the back of the bezel, and some plastic clips that slide out.
3. Wash Stock Silver bezel with sponge and dishwasher soap to cut the dirt and road grime.
4. Let the bezel completely dry.
5. 2 coats of adhesive Promoter/Primer (DO NOT SAND BEZEL) waiting about 2-3 minutes between sprays.
6. 5-10 mins after last coat, apply Gloss Black paint. 1 Light coat, 1 medium coat followed by another light coat to catch any spots and make uniform. Spray back and forth in a smooth motion. Hit the bezel from different angles to cover completely.
7. Allow paint to dry for at least an hour before handling, I waited 2 hours. Paint dried on porch in sun and with light wind blowing.
8. Reinstall grill and bezel and Voila!
Total cost: under 8 bucks.
Total time: under 3 hours, taking my time with a few beers here and there :cheers:

My Impressions: Due to not sanding there seems to be texture to the finish which I think brings some of the glossiness down. It’s not noticeable unless you look for it from 2 feet or closer. I was worried it would pop too much and not match but I think it looks pretty good. The truck is very dirty so I think it would blend even better with a nice wash and wax. Or likewise if it was dirty like everything else.

Let me know your thoughts and any methods you decided to do. Will probably black out the Toyota emblem lettering or maybe try something new with that too. Next I wanna black out the yellow blinkers or go after market. Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
You are correct as I don't recall seeing anyone else do this with a gloss finish. It is a different look.

I have not blacked out and not sure that I ever will but if I do I plan to stick to either a flat or matte finish to blend better with the rest of the rig.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the look. It is very different. I prefer the gloss over flat. It os easier to detail gloss than flat.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
My Impressions: Due to not sanding there seems to be texture to the finish which I think brings some of the glossiness down. It’s not noticeable unless you look for it from 2 feet or closer. I was worried it would pop too much and not match but I think it looks pretty good. The truck is very dirty so I think it would blend even better with a nice wash and wax. Or likewise if it was dirty like everything else.

Let me know your thoughts and any methods you decided to do. Will probably black out the Toyota emblem lettering or maybe try something new with that too. Next I wanna black out the yellow blinkers or go after market. Open to suggestions.
I just did my bezel yesterday and used Rustoleum truck bed liner. With a powder coated bumper, the truck bed liner looks like it's supposed to be there. After I put the grill back on, I was VERY glad I just did the bezel. It looks like it's factory and not like I got trigger happy with a can of spray paint.

Also, your gloss on a black truck looks better than I expected it to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I wasn't expecting much to be honest but I think I'm gonna leave it like this for awhile.. If anyone in San Antonio wants to see it let me know, looks better than the pics.

Just washed her today :) .. I must admit that Toyota did a great job on the paint with these vehicles, cleans up nice! Especially for being 8 years old.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts