Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a used Come Up winch DV-9s from a guy on the forum. The reviews were all glowing, and it seems to sit side by side with Warn in a lot of countries. Anyway…. The guys sent the winch via UPS, and did not take out any additional insurance (which is a major no-no on something like a winch)… again I digress.
Not so shocking the winch arrives with the break cover plate cracked open and dented. The winch had fallen or been dropped. It looked as if the tape had come off the box and it fell out at some point, but who know. Everything else looked brand new, never used, as the seller has said. It was really in Steller shape other than the UPS event.

Anyway, I sent an email to Come Up USA that evening as soon as I had found the damage, asking about getting a replacement. They called me the next day at around 9:30am CST, or 7:30am their time. The guy, Chad at Come Up called me back and we discussed how I came to own the winch, how it was damaged, and the part I needed. He looked up the part number and confirmed it was in stock. He said he would call me back that evening or the next day with a price.

The next day he called back with the price, 25.00, and I had asked about a remote relocation kit. He said they had just come in and were 29.00 so I ordered both.
They arrived at the house in two day. Then while waiting on the parts I decided to relocate the control box under the hood behind the fuse box. The next day i called Chad and asked if the 2 gauge wire it comes with was ample to handle the extra 6’ of length. He assured me it was and that the voltage drop would be inconsequential. So I order my 2 gauge wire and some heavy duty ends.

After relocating the control box, replacing the break bearing and cover, sealing the cover, and cleaning the rope I installed the winch. Mistake! I did not test the winch early on. After it was installed I was sure it would just hum. Nope!! WTF!!! Clunk clunk from the winch by the cone break and no workie!!!. I called Come Up at 6:45pm CST, not even considering the time and spoke to another rep. He asked some questions and after some discussion decided it was the back plate, that it must have gotten jammed into the housing when it dropped and cracked the cover. He spent about 30 to 40 minutes on the phone and was not in any rush to get me off the phone. Is this company for real! Wow.

Anyway, that evening I pulled the cap off and upon really close inspection I could see that the top of the back plate was pushed in 1mm or less more at the top and that the plate didn’t spin freely. But before I would do anything I wanted to see what they had to say. The next day I spoke to Chad again and he said the engineers could not really make any recommendations unless that could see the back plate up close. They said to make some attempts to free it myself and if all else failed I could send it to them and they could address the issue.
I went home and pulled out the cold chisel and hit the edge of the back plate away from the housing at 9. 12 and 3 and pop, it was out and free. No noticeable damage. With that I went back to an email sent by Chad showing me how to adjust the break, then adjusted the break, put the cover back on and bam!! Works like a charm.

I have worked with other companies and not many go that far beyond the norm to support un warrantied products. And I can say with experience, Warn customer support was simply pitiful when I was dealing with issues with the bumper install, and the main reason I will not purchase Warn (this is not a hit on the product but solely based on my personal experiences (yes more than one) with them).

I wanted to share.. it was really refreshing to experience solid customer service to the end.

How it arrived..

Installed and working!!!

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I met those dudes from Comeup at Summit last year (they bought a sweet '12 TT) and they seemed to be super solid.

I'm definitely going Comeup when I pull the trigger on a winch for the FJC.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, a good product and good service are a winner, kind of like a Toyota.
I'm a Come Up guy unless the winch proved me wrong in my time of need, but don't see it happening. I really like the cone break on the outside, not adding additional stress to the rope and repair parts appear to be available which is a real winner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts