Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for another suspension thread, but I couldn't find one that focused on comfort. I don't believe I've ever found non OEM Bilstein that remotely approaches comfort, so unless you think I'm wrong please don't say Bilstein. Every pro-Bilstein argument I've seem revolves around 'levelling the car, less nose dive, less body roll', i.e. stiffer damping.

Use case is endless washboard roads and gravel (I'm an overlander not a rock crawler). I'm worried about the durability of the OEM over 7-8 hrs of washboard. The car is currently stock, and we travel light. No bars or winches etc.

Unfortunately we don't get the American brands here so King's, Fox etc are not available. We do get Aussie, Japanese and European brands here.

I just want as plush a ride as possible, with durability. I've heard good things about Ironman, but then I've also heard good things about OME and I know they ride hard af (non BP-51).

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
The appeal of Bilstein is that they use a valve design which allows their dampers to have more range of damping than the base Tokico ones can have. Result is more supple damping without increased harshness. Also, their diameters tend to be bigger than stock, improving cooling which you'd need to washboards.

Typically, for long term running on washboards ( = lots of damper operation ) you want remote reservoir dampers, for the maximum amount of cooling possible, of which Fox is the most famous these days.

By the way, where are you located?

Norm

·
Registered
216 Posts
With E rated tires the 6112/5160 ride is exceptional over bad roads and off road and never harsh. The rest that you mention have much more harsher ride and in your case OEM would be best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The appeal of Bilstein is that they use a valve design which allows their dampers to have more range of damping than the base Tokico ones can have. Result is more supple damping without increased harshness. Also, their diameters tend to be bigger than stock, improving cooling which you'd need to washboards.

Typically, for long term running on washboards ( = lots of damper operation ) you want remote reservoir dampers, for the maximum amount of cooling possible, of which Fox is the most famous these days.

By the way, where are you located?

Norm
I'm in Kenya. The only easily available remote reservoir dampers here are a brand called Profender and the BP51 which are 3000usd.

With E rated tires the 6112/5160 ride is exceptional over bad roads and off road and never harsh. The rest that you mention have much more harsher ride and in your case OEM would be best.

Thanks, I'll look into those. Do you think the OEM will be ok with the washboard?

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
Unfortunately we don't get the American brands here so King's, Fox etc are not available. We do get Aussie, Japanese and European brands here.

I just want as plush a ride as possible, with durability. I've heard good things about Ironman, but then I've also heard good things about OME and I know they ride hard af (non BP-51).
If you can get the Australian brands there, then the OME BP-51's are the ones you want. They have the best warranty of anything at this tier -- 3 years fit & finish. I had a set on my FJ and immediately put a new set on my 4Runner when we bought that.

Also you might try airing down a little, when I run washboards at 50+ MPH here in Colorado that's at ~20 PSI with my BP-51's. Like floating on air :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks, I'll look into those. Do you think the OEM will be ok with the washboard?
I don't think anything you can put on an FJ would be ok with 7-8 hours of washboard on a regular basis. Fox shocks, for example, require service after 1000 miles of off-road use. OEMs, I would say, could probably survive about half an hour of straight washboard. Just guessing though, and your mileage may vary :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm in Kenya. The only easily available remote reservoir dampers here are a brand called Profender and the BP51 which are 3000usd.

the 6112 with its 60mm tube construction and remote reservoir design for rear was specially tested on washboard roads and designed for it. They have firmer rebound comparatively to handle washboards.

https://expeditionportal.com/did-bilstein-just-make-the-ultimate-4runner-overland-suspension-system/

·
トヨタ Master
6,166 Posts
Dirt is 80% of where I drive. BP51, all day long. :bandit:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
BP 51 sounds good, I might have to buy 2 at a time given the price lol. Can I use oem springs with them on the front? I've only seen complete struts for sale.

The bilstein have good reviews but I see comments that mirror my experience over the years i.e. Good on tar, good on dirt at speed but poor low speed bump absorption.

·
トヨタ Master
6,166 Posts
They only come in complete assemblies. The shock and spring are specifically tuned to work in conjunction with each other and they do a fine job. You could do fronts then rears. I know it's expensive but the trade off is ride quality and less wear in a longer duration. I don't have any problem with Bilstein's stuff either and have used them on many trucks and 4Runners, but you won't get the life out of them when compared, with the possible exception of the new remote reservoir units. I don't have any experience with these yet but plan to in the near future on another project.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Given my budget that may be what I'll have to do.

Have a look at the 10km road to my house and you may understand why I hated my last set of Bilstein. This is one of the better sections too. They were better at higher speeds but on a narrow road shared with livestock, rickety old pick up trucks and motorbikes it wasn't possible to maintain speed in the comfortable zone.

·
トヨタ Master
6,166 Posts
Looks like sections of Baja, Mexico. Most are ungraded or washboard, sandy, silty, etc. Oh, and potholed highways.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If you can get the Australian brands there, then the OME BP-51's are the ones you want. They have the best warranty of anything at this tier -- 3 years fit & finish. I had a set on my FJ and immediately put a new set on my 4Runner when we bought that.

Also you might try airing down a little, when I run washboards at 50+ MPH here in Colorado that's at ~20 PSI with my BP-51's. Like floating on air :)
Jimmy, what distributer did you purchase from?

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
Jimmy, what distributer did you purchase from?
Toytec in Denver, Colorado, USA. But any ARB / OME distributor will have them.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Oil volume is one of the largest factors for how long and hard you can run before fading occurs.
I used to run non reservoir Icon coil overs, fine on most trails, but would begin to fade on longer wash boards.
OME BP-51 have less shock body volume to support the bypass feature which is cavities in the sidewalls of the shock body.

Less oil = higher temperatures during long runs = fading.

Springs will also have a lot to do with it, softer=plush=more work on the shock=more heat- needs more oil...

We do a lot of desert runs around here and if I could fit 3.0s I would do it in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts