Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

Premium Member
Take a look at how thick the sidwalls are on the BP-51, and the Kings single side wall and a very boring/informative/biased but extensively documented video.
To be fair; his section cut is not on center making the sidewall appear thicker than it is, and he is discussing shock performance in high speed running, most trails are not that. Long washboards are that.

If your going to spend $3,000 it's worth a watch.

I do like a lot of the features of the BP-51,just not so much the volume of oil.

Attachments

Registered
When I run washboards at 50+ MPH here in Colorado that's at ~20 PSI with my BP-51's. Like floating on air :)
I think this may be the key to running washboards--no matter what shocks you use. Airing down changes everything.

Desert Moderator
Sorry for another suspension thread, but I couldn't find one that focused on comfort. I don't believe I've ever found non OEM Bilstein that remotely approaches comfort, so unless you think I'm wrong please don't say Bilstein. Every pro-Bilstein argument I've seem revolves around 'levelling the car, less nose dive, less body roll', i.e. stiffer damping.

Use case is endless washboard roads and gravel (I'm an overlander not a rock crawler). I'm worried about the durability of the OEM over 7-8 hrs of washboard. The car is currently stock, and we travel light. No bars or winches etc.

Unfortunately we don't get the American brands here so King's, Fox etc are not available. We do get Aussie, Japanese and European brands here.

I just want as plush a ride as possible, with durability. I've heard good things about Ironman, but then I've also heard good things about OME and I know they ride hard af (non BP-51).

Thanks for your help!
I have the Ironman Foamcell Pro with the "comfort" valving and springs.
Smoother than stock, but also better on rebound.
No barwork or winch on my FJ either, and an aluminium skid plate (radiator to back of engine).
I've had them on for 110,000km and no issues.

Something to consider.

Tires are an integral part of your suspension, so correct pressure is essential, and also consider sidewall stiffness.
Avoid the "racing" shocks - they need a LOT of attention.
Generally the Australian suspension setups are what you are after - nobody does long sections of corrugations like they do. They can go for literally thousands of km non-stop.
The foamcell pro is a twintube design, but massive internal volume.

http://www.ironman4x4.com/category-products/suspension/shock-absorbers

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
I have the Ironman Foamcell Pro with the "comfort" valving and springs.
Smoother than stock, but also better on rebound.
No barwork or winch on my FJ either, and an aluminium skid plate (radiator to back of engine).
I've had them on for 110,000km and no issues.

Something to consider.
I was looking at these too but the Ironman price list for my market shows comfort for the rear only and not front. One of the distributors told me he thought they were harsh...

Desert Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
I was looking at these too but the Ironman price list for my market shows comfort for the rear only and not front. One of the distributors told me he thought they were harsh...
Nope. Not harsh.
Give DAW in Dubai a call and see what it would cost for them to ship some to you.

http://www.ironman4x4.com/store-locator?utf8=鉁&stockist_query=dubai&button=

Those guys do a lot of the 70 series builds being sent out to Africa for gov/NGO customers.

Any idea what the part number is for comfort valving on the front? The aus website mirrors by local dealers part numbers. I read on ih8mud that they had been discontinued for another car (maybe the 100 series, I forget) and I'm wondering if the fj Comfort spec has gone the same way.

Desert Moderator
Any idea what the part number is for comfort valving on the front? The aus website mirrors by local dealers part numbers. I read on ih8mud that they had been discontinued for another car (maybe the 100 series, I forget) and I'm wondering if the fj Comfort spec has gone the same way.
Sorry mate - no idea. Give them a call or an email.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Take a look at how thick the sidwalls are on the BP-51, and the Kings single side wall and a very boring/informative/biased but extensively documented video.
To be fair; his section cut is not on center making the sidewall appear thicker than it is, and he is discussing shock performance in high speed running, most trails are not that. Long washboards are that.

If your going to spend $3,000 it's worth a watch.

I do like a lot of the features of the BP-51,just not so much the volume of oil.

I generally like this guys videos but have some issues with this one. The bp-51 is 51mm i.e.2", he says they claim 2.5".

They also have a Reservoir. Would prefer Kings obviously but much more expensive especially with import costs.

銉堛儴銈 Master
I didn't go with Kings because I didn't feel like rebuilding my shocks every two years. Same for Radflo, Icon, etc. The extra capacity may make sense where you live because of the heat. I don't have that problem generally but have had it off road and on bad roads for 9+ hours in a day. No shock fade or cavitation from the BP51s. I think ARB/OME did their homework(R&D) in the Simpson desert. I think if they felt they needed more volume, they would've integrated it into their shocks/reservoirs. I'm not knocking other brands, this is simply why I use what I use.

Premium Member
For 85K miles (over 6 years) with steel bumpers, winch, full plate armor, 23 gal aux and gear, I ran ICON coil overs, no-resi (less oil) with no leaks. Replacing one cracked top hat and 1 set of 4 spherical bearings, no seal/valve/oil rebuild. They still held the original full nitrous charge, but were beginning to weep at the shaft seal, that was the time for a rebuild based on my usage. YMMV

Most miles were Hwy, taken to Moab, Ouray/Telluride/Siverton (non-summit), Death Valley, Mohave Trail 3x, Anza Berrego, Sedonna 3x, Oceano Dunes 2x, Mexico... Lots of wheeling, some of it for long distances on corrugations, like 10 hours at high speeds, no resi Icons faded, Kings with resi have not.

For dissipating energy oil volume is key and I don't see how the larger capacity 2.5" shocks would require more service than smaller shocks doing the same distance. BP-51 with 51mm(2.0" bore) piston is 67% of the volume at same stroke of the 64mm (2.5" bore) King/Icon/Fox.

The finish of the BP-51 is excellent, more durable and is probably more shock than most need. I now run Kings with resis and clickers, the brightly colored anodized parts look "kid-racer" to me, alum dulls, and I preferred the subdued black Icons. So far 20K no problems, no fading and the rebuild will come when/if the Kings leak (all shocks will eventually).

What kits are available in the OP's market makes much of this a moot point. Sizing the spring weight is critical for a good ride, too much will rattle you, too little and you'll be hitting your bumps stops frequently. Wheeler's bump stops at $70 will let you run a more comfortable/lighter spring (spacers required), you won't even know when you hit them. For me second best suspension bang for the buck, airing down is number one.

Premium Member

Registered
I now run Kings with resis and clickers, the brightly colored anodized parts look "kid-racer" to me
I switched to non adjustable and I believe it's the 0 level of the clickers. I'm holding off on upgrading further but looking forward to bypass shocks so I can go to a 500-550lb spring and let the suspension eat up the wooops.
@choob since you have access to AU market, have you looked at Dobinsons? They're getting lotsa love in the overland market for their OEM style bushings and offered in 2.5" size with a reservoir as well. They sort of look like old style Nitro OME shocks but with more technology in them.

Desert Moderator
I didn't go with Kings because I didn't feel like rebuilding my shocks every two years. Same for Radflo, Icon, etc. The extra capacity may make sense where you live because of the heat. I don't have that problem generally but have had it off road and on bad roads for 9+ hours in a day. No shock fade or cavitation from the BP51s. I think ARB/OME did their homework(R&D) in the Simpson desert. I think if they felt they needed more volume, they would've integrated it into their shocks/reservoirs. I'm not knocking other brands, this is simply why I use what I use.
How difficult is it to adjust the comp/rebound? I guess you'd have to take the wheels off?

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Found the original pic - so here is the non blurry pic. Although the KING looks longer it is the same OAL as the S.A.W.
Thanks. I can easily import from the US, the problem with bulky or heavy items is that the import cost is high. Bump stops and the like are ok.

The local Rally Raid guys seem to use a brand called Profender but reviews are mixed.

I'm going to head to the ironman dealer and try out the foam cell pro, otherwise BP 51 and/or profender are on the list too.

Desert Moderator
Thanks. I can easily import from the US, the problem with bulky or heavy items is that the import cost is high. Bump stops and the like are ok.

The local Rally Raid guys seem to use a brand called Profender but reviews are mixed.

I'm going to head to the ironman dealer and try out the foam cell pro, otherwise BP 51 and/or profender are on the list too.
You have the local market of course, but you also have the option of the UAE & South African distributors - not sure if the freight costs are much better though.
I prefer to buy that sort of stuff locally, mostly due to aftersales support / warranty. Thankfully I have that option.

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
You have the local market of course, but you also have the option of the UAE & South African distributors - not sure if the freight costs are much better though.
I prefer to buy that sort of stuff locally, mostly due to aftersales support / warranty. Thankfully I have that option.
UAE is easy, often when you ask parts shop for prices you get a 'local' price and 'dubai' price. You wait 2 weeks for the dubai price items. SA is more difficult.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts