Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
5,652 Posts
UAE is easy, often when you ask parts shop for prices you get a 'local' price and 'dubai' price. You wait 2 weeks for the dubai price items. SA is more difficult.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
If you need any help from the Dubai end, give me a shout

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Does anyone recognise these? I assume they're remote resi, couldn't figure it out.

This is in an fj.

http://imgur.com/a/pJdJYKU

·
Desert Moderator
5,652 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
One of the forum new members purchased a Dobinson kit recently - no word yet on fit or performance.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
One of the forum new members purchased a Dobinson kit recently - no word yet on fit or performance.
Many GX owners are on the Dobinson wagon. They like the cushy ride thanks to the OE style rubber bushings in the ends. Pretty sure they'll handle 90% of what people do here. Honestly Dobinson's current non-resi line up looks like OME Nitrocharged. And their resi version is probably some copy of the old OME resi shocks but different color. Not sure why OP is trying to obtain some random suspension that probably can't be serviced or replaced lol. Anyway good luck

·
Desert Moderator
5,652 Posts
Many GX owners are on the Dobinson wagon. They like the cushy ride thanks to the OE style rubber bushings in the ends. Pretty sure they'll handle 90% of what people do here. Honestly Dobinson's current non-resi line up looks like OME Nitrocharged. And their resi version is probably some copy of the old OME resi shocks but different color. Not sure why OP is trying to obtain some random suspension that probably can't be serviced or replaced lol. Anyway good luck
OP is based in Kenya and choice is limited pretty much to Australian & Asian brands for local availability & support.
Some of those brands are not available in the US market, but are popular elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Which random suspension am I trying to obtain?
That picture you posted with the stock suspension/ anti roll system. Get something aftermarket that you're able to service or have a shop complete if you're driving endless washboards. That's similar to the desert terrain we have here with hard pack and soft silt mixed in.

pretty much to Australian & Asian brands for local availability & support.
Got it. Figured Dobinsons was from AU. I'm no stranger to AU parts. My Land Rover used OME and Tough Dog parts. GX owners are especially prissy when it comes to comfy rides since most are onroading to their local cars and coffee meets. 🙂

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Not trying to buy them, just asking what they are.

If they had ended being a locally available remote resi then yes, I'd have considered buying them. I didn't know they were oem xreas thingy when I posted the photo.

·
トヨタ Master
5,787 Posts
That picture you posted with the stock suspension/ anti roll system. Get something aftermarket that you're able to service or have a shop complete if you're driving endless washboards. That's similar to the desert terrain we have here with hard pack and soft silt mixed in.

Got it. Figured Dobinsons was from AU. I'm no stranger to AU parts. My Land Rover used OME and Tough Dog parts. GX owners are especially prissy when it comes to comfy rides since most are onroading to their local cars and coffee meets. 🙂
Dobinson pretty much copies everything ARB does, not sure about the quality but they are always right behind them in manufacturing. I really like some of their Tacoma bumpers but have never tried them and they're hard to get here in the states.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Does the foam cell pro fit inside the OEM spring on the front? Or do I need to buy their springs as well?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Interestingly Doinsons is considered a discount brand in oz, the MRR kit for an FJ is only 800 usd there. It's 2000usd here and in Dubai, and not much cheaper in the USA.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Interestingly Doinsons is considered a discount brand in oz
They're similar (if not, same) to OME if that's considered discount . I'm pretty sure they just took over OME's old line of parts because OME changed to a hybrid of plastic and metal parts on their nitro charger shocks. I've had both old and new OME shocks on my land rover and they were great for the money since it seems like budget is a concern. I think if you're concerned about doing washboard roads, invest in hydraulic bump stops to ease the ride when compressing. Stock bumpstops are jarring and the next step up is Wheelers or Timbrens poly bump stops but neither of those will sort out a hit like hydraulic bumps.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts