Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so here is the official word as of 7/22/08 at 12PM.

Monday, August 4th is definite. We will meet at the Diamond Shamrock in Lyons at 10AM. We will run MSV and Coney then head to COcHef's house for a BBQ (I believe this is official now).

Monday Run:
1. BigBlu
2. RockyMtnHigh
3. fjcruzer123
4. COcHef
5. ocr14a
6. 08BigWhitey
7. robsp222

As for Sunday - meet at 1:30 at the overlook on highway 36 (the new one with the Estes Park flagstone sign). It's just a half mile further on 36 (just down the hill a ways) from the turn for Pole Hill
Sunday Run:

1. BigBlu
2. robsp222
3. athenaceleste
4. COcHef (maybe)
5. ocr14a (maybe)

(original message)
Hello all,

I am taking a trip to CO Aug 3 - 9 to climb longs peak but I have a few days on either side and I'm looking for some trails in the area. I'll be camping in Estes park the whole week. I'm doing the climb Aug 6th so the 6th and 7th(recovery) are out but the 4th, 5th and 8th work great for me.

I would love to meet up with a group and do a trail run. I know it's mid week and it might not work into our busy schedules well so I'm also looking for recomendations on easy trails or 4x4 roads that I can do alone (with 2 passengers) that will get me to some nice remote locations or great picture spots.

I'm willing to drive 2 hours or so to get to the trail, maybe a little more if it's going to be a life changing experience!:clap:

Thanks for your help!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Longs Peak! Nice, I have been wanting to that myself, but I got to drop some weight off the mid section before that happens.

I could do the 4th, I am off that day. Let's see if we get any more interest then we can decide which trail to do.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be my first 'climb' and I'm hoping to do one or two each year. I figure I'll combine them with taking the FJ all over the country and seeing all the remote places the FJ can take me...that's the goal anyway.

So anyone else interested?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I will have that entire week off, so pending other plans, we should take a spin somewhere! Check out some of the trails here:

TrailDamage.com - Map of Colorado Trailheads

There are many trails you could do alone, but I don't recommend it, especially if you have some nice CO folks to tag along :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
i maybe in for this, as the date gets closer i'll know. You have have RockyMtnHigh setup some trail runs for you he seems to know all the "Colorado" spots

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i'm pretty booked up that time of year, but i'll see if i can't get a run in with you
What?! You getting married or somethin'?? :D

·
Registered
876 Posts
RockyMtnHigh setup some trail runs for you he seems to know all the "Colorado" spots
:rofl: Me? I have got all the trails on traildamage sorted by county and difficulty, but as far as knowing them I am just as clueless as the next guy.

There is a ton though in that area you will be at. Of course, maybe by that time we can go play in Bill and Athena's backyard and Bill Moore will be good to go

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello all,

I am taking a trip to CO Aug 3 - 9 to climb longs peak but I have a few days on either side and I'm looking for some trails in the area. I'll be camping in Estes park the whole week. I'm doing the climb Aug 6th so the 6th and 7th(recovery) are out but the 4th, 5th and 8th work great for me.

I would love to meet up with a group and do a trail run. I know it's mid week and it might not work into our busy schedules well so I'm also looking for recomendations on easy trails or 4x4 roads that I can do alone (with 2 passengers) that will get me to some nice remote locations or great picture spots.

I'm willing to drive 2 hours or so to get to the trail, maybe a little more if it's going to be a life changing experience!:clap:

Thanks for your help!!

:cheers:

WHAT??? Are you kidding me? Of course there are some FJs up here that want to wheel. Ill try to keep those days open. Two hours of driving will not be necessary, there are tons of trails with awesome views around there. Ill keep an eye out for this thread.

Also, I was thinking about heading up Longs around then. What route are you taking up? I assume your taking the Keyhole. Let me know if you want a hiking partner or guide or just some trail info, I have a little experience in that area...hence my name on this forum... Otherwise, I hope I see you on the 4x4 trail. PM me for info.
Jon

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Me? I have got all the trails on traildamage sorted by county and difficulty
:program: nerd

you forgot elevation, distance to trail, distance on trail, estimated fuel cost, ham radio frequencies, sar contact, usfs district and pucker factor!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Watch it! I'll call Krispy Kream and tell them you're not a cop any more! :lol:
Too late, they closed the stores in GJ and Aurora :mecry:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
If I have any vacation time left by then, I'd consider taking a day off for this one - as long as Sandi can handle the trail you guys pick.

I'll stay tuned.
steven

p.s. Just for a little fun meanwhile, you can check out Pole Hill (CR122, or is it FSR122?). I haven't gone all the way on this one, but it's jsut South out of Estes Park a couple miles (ok, it might be as much as 5) down highway 36, and has a few really great spots to walk out on and overlook Estes Park with all the mountains in the background (just about the best of this particular view you can find - especially this easily).

As far as I've gone, there's no real challenge for the FJ on the actual route, but you can make it more interesting by taking all of the harder spots and a rock obstacle on the side of the trail from time to time (especially this little rock wall fairly early-on on the left side near one of the cool overlook areas).

Oh, here... TrailDamage.com - Pole Hill
Now that I see the map, I guess I've probably only gone about 10% of this one. So, I can't recommend the rest of the trail (especially on your own), but the first part is easy and has great views.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What?! You getting married or somethin'?? :D
of course i am, round 2...ding, ding, ding

:program: nerd

you forgot elevation, distance to trail, distance on trail, estimated fuel cost, ham radio frequencies, sar contact, usfs district and pucker factor!
the pucker factor is all part of the experience

Too late, they closed the stores in GJ and Aurora :mecry:
haha, the one by my place is still here, and it was the first in CO

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I'm an idiot and just realized that I'll be getting there Sat. the 2nd. So the 3rd is also available for a run. I don't know if more people will be available since it's a weekend.

I think Sunday the 3rd and Monday the 4th seem like they are going to be our best bets so.....let's start a list of which date works better!

Both work for me....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Monday works better for me and the trails will be far less crowded without the weekend crowd.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
so.....let's start a list of which date works better!
Both work for me....
Sunday works better for me since I don't have to take a day off of work, but I still could do that if it came down to it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If we make it a monday, someone might be able to bring some food? I dont know, just sayin....

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
If we make it a monday, someone might be able to bring some food? I dont know, just sayin....
Now you're twisting my arm :)
Trust us, if Chef brings the food, it'll be a good time (well, good eatin anyway). :cheers:

1 - 20 of 166 Posts