Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my 2010 Wrangler Unlimited and am considering a new FJ. I sold the Jeep because it was a POS.

In no particular order it was

Under powered
Had a crappy 4 speed auto that was prone to overheating and had rediculously high hearing
Got terrible gas mileage
Had a re-occuring knock in the steering wheel
The Freedom top leaked
The doors rattled and clunked when you went over rough sections of road
Prone to Death Wobble

I was constantly amazed at the amount of guys that will settle for crappy build quality and poor performance because thats what they've come to expect from Jeep.

On the bright side,it was very easy and inexpensive to lift,and there are a million different aftermarket parts available.

I want a reliable 4x4 that is capable offroad. I need something thats powerful enough to tow a couple quads or dirt bikes.

What I'd like to know,is there a list of common issues with the FJs? Things that are all too common,but shouldn't be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Common issues:

1. Your friends and neighbors can become violently jealous.
2. Sometimes FJ's have been known to spew awesomeness from their tailpipe.

Seriously, there is a known issue with some 2007's having cracking in some of the crumple zones over time. I am not smart enough to describe in more detail but if you look it up, it is well documented. Some people do complain about poor visibility. I have only had mine for a month but I am loving it with no complaints or problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know about other people but for me, vision. There are plenty of blind spots and you really can only see out of about four windows. Once you get used to that it is not much of a problem, plus the back-up sensor is a big help. Thats probably the main issue that I face, and to be honest having slightly poor visibility for the most BA car on the road is a pretty good trade-off for me. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Getting used to the front rake of the windshield is wierd.... You have to be carefull stopping at red lights or you will not see them. Other then that I am glad I bought the FJ.......

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Seriously, there is a known issue with some 2007's having cracking in some of the crumple zones over time. I am not smart enough to describe in more detail but if you look it up, it is well documented. Some people do complain about poor visibility. I have only had mine for a month but I am loving it with no complaints or problems. Good luck!
What you are describing is the "fender bulge / fender tear" issue which covers FJs through 2008. I have this issue on my '08 and it makes my blood boil because they have been unwilling to do anything about it so far. For '09, Toyota put a bandaid on it by redesigning a double layer inner fender. There are numerous threads on this. I don't consider it as big of an issue on the new FJs.

For me, space is an issue and the lack of four normal doors. This is not a good vehicle for a family, child seats, or any rear seat passengers that like to look at scenery.

If they didn't have such high resale value, I would love to have a late model 4th gen 4Runner. That would solve all the issues for me.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Also there's the weak rear gears in the 2006-early 2007 built 07's. That has also been discussed thoroughly. Mine is an early 07 build and I haven't had any problems yet (with that or the fender issue).

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
My issue is it's impossible to keep the money from flying out of my back pocket at it, all due to the prodding from the other forum members, and their modifications.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
My issue is it's impossible to keep the money from flying out of my back pocket at it, all due to the prodding from the other forum members, and their modifications.
I think it's important to note that none of that money is for repairs... at least that's my experience. :)

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I think it's important to note that none of that money is for repairs... at least that's my experience. :)

The only repair so far was what I was certain to be a CV joint/shaft, that turned out to be (2) loose bolts on the front bracket of my Exp One Sliders. Cost two hours at Toyota. I didn't feel so stupid since the tech couldn't figure it out either.

These are tanks.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
As mentioned above, the visibility could be better. And, the size of the back seat is pretty pitiful, unless it's occupied by children, midgets or those who don't mind sitting side-saddle.

The good news is, the front seats adapt quite well to us tall ones with both decent leg room and more than ample head room.

The gas mileage is definitely nothing to brag about. Worse yet when you start throwing on the modifications. (But then again, it was never designed or intended to be an economy vehicle.)

The angle of the windshield makes it a rock magnet, so be sure to carry full glass coverage on your insurance.

The fuel tank should have been made with a much larger capacity.

As far as the inner fender bulges/tears are concerned for the earlier models, I've been living with my bulges and tears for four years and the truck hasn't fallen apart yet. And fortunately, I've never experienced any rear-end gearing or axle problems.

Otherwise, being a previous owner of a Jeep TJ (as well as numerous vintage FJ's), the FJ Cruiser is a very impressive SUV with equal on-road and off-road capabilities.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Issues? Here are some words and terms for a forum search:
1. The FJ lunge
2. Sinking seat syndrom
3. Inner fender bulge (already mentioned)
4. Windshield easy to crack (already mentioned)
5. Pulley problems
6. squeaky brakes in reverse (on some year models)
7. Frame rust

Anymore?

·
Registered
441 Posts
2.5 years and 50K miles of ownership and no problems so far besides the quirks an FJ is already known for (in addition to the said above):

Stupid ABS brakes on loose traction
Early gas pump shutoff (if using a really fast pump)
For a 4x4 vehicle it can get knocked out of alignment fairly easily

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wrapping up my first year with the FJ, the only compliants I have are the ease that the interior plastic scratches. The poor rearward visiblity is an issue you have to deal with. I think the stock radio is crap (even w subwoofer). And I had to buy a Tuffy center armrest/console.
I would absolutely buy it again if I had too.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Man you guys didn't mention the throwout bearing chirp, or the torque converter on some of the autos.

Overall it's a great truck. The wife is a wrangler owner, so I get to bounce back and forth between the two, and the FJ wins hands down. The only thing the wrangler has that I am remotely jealous of is the soft top. I am happy enough with my FJ that if it were to be destroyed today, I'd go buy another to replace her.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I have 3-boys. Not a great traveling vehicle for my family. The boys love the truck so much, however, that when I mentioned I might have to change it for a bigger SUV my 6-year-old threatened to chew his own arm off.

·
Registered
2010 FJ Cruiser White
87 Posts
lets not forget the sensitive brakes and the nosedive...which can get fixed with decent front suspension. but it still doesnt fix the brake issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man you guys didn't mention the throwout bearing chirp, or the torque converter on some of the autos.

Overall it's a great truck. The wife is a wrangler owner, so I get to bounce back and forth between the two, and the FJ wins hands down. The only thing the wrangler has that I am remotely jealous of is the soft top. I am happy enough with my FJ that if it were to be destroyed today, I'd go buy another to replace her.
This is widely reported, and one I'd consider a major issue with the MT.

The cracking frame in the early models have been widely reported, and of course the Toyota Production System is ignoring it.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I had an 08 JK Wrangler, and had ALL the same complaints as you. Its was a POS.

Death wobble, steering knock, tranny overheating, ball joints constantly failing.

The FJ is not perfect, but it is WORLDS better in terms of build quality than the Wrangler.

All I spent my money on was fixing the Wrangler, now all Im spending is for mods on the FJ.

Get it, you will love it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts