Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first want to say that I've been reading parts of this forum for a few months now, but finally writing my first post. Awesome to have a huge online community of FJ enthusiasts that can share information and ideas, everyone on this forums seems helpful and that is great and very appreciated from a new guy like me.

I just got a 2011 Army Green FJ with the matching roof (NSSE or Not So Special Edition) as I've heard it referred to. it is bone stock minus some ugly chrome aftermarket wheels that will soon be gone. I have plans for a build and am excited to get started modding it.

The first thing I'm going to do is a lift and wheels/tires. I'm getting the King 3" coilovers and rear shocks, as well as Total Chaos UCAs. Gonna leave the rear springs for now. I'm also gonna get some 17" methods. Now the tire size is where I need some input.

I like the look of the 285/70 in certain builds, but after seeing the 285/75, it looks to fill the wheel wells better and seems to fit "right" with the FJs body. My concern is, I REALLY don't want any rubbing whatsoever, on or off road. Keep in mind I'm not a hardcore rock crawler. 90% of this vehicles life will be spent on pavement. I do go up to the local mountains on the weekends and hit the trails.

So what I'm asking is, with a 3" lift, would it be unrealistic for me to expect zero rub with the 285/75/17 tires? If I need a BMC, I'm not opposed to it. I also don't want to have to regear or loose too much power. Would I be better off going thrn285/70 route? Anyone with experience with either of these wheel sizes please share you're thoughts, photos would be greatly appreciated as well.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
I ran 285/70/17 first with a lift an no BMC without any rub. Then I swapped to 285/75/17 Ridge grapplers. I needed a BMC. Essentially the two sizes have the same width about 11.5” but the 285/75 is an inch taller so it does fill the wheel well better. The tires were heavier by 10lbs each but nittos are heavier anyway than others. You do feel it with accelerating and braking but you don’t need to regear.

Pic is with Ridge grapplers 285/75/17

New and old side by side

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hello all, first want to say that I've been reading parts of this forum for a few months now, but finally writing my first post. Awesome to have a huge online community of FJ enthusiasts that can share information and ideas, everyone on this forums seems helpful and that is great and very appreciated from a new guy like me.

I just got a 2011 Army Green FJ with the matching roof (NSSE or Not So Special Edition) as I've heard it referred to. it is bone stock minus some ugly chrome aftermarket wheels that will soon be gone. I have plans for a build and am excited to get started modding it.

The first thing I'm going to do is a lift and wheels/tires. I'm getting the King 3" coilovers and rear shocks, as well as Total Chaos UCAs. Gonna leave the rear springs for now. I'm also gonna get some 17" methods. Now the tire size is where I need some input.

I like the look of the 285/70 in certain builds, but after seeing the 285/75, it looks to fill the wheel wells better and seems to fit "right" with the FJs body. My concern is, I REALLY don't want any rubbing whatsoever, on or off road. Keep in mind I'm not a hardcore rock crawler. 90% of this vehicles life will be spent on pavement. I do go up to the local mountains on the weekends and hit the trails.

So what I'm asking is, with a 3" lift, would it be unrealistic for me to expect zero rub with the 285/75/17 tires? If I need a BMC, I'm not opposed to it. I also don't want to have to regear or loose too much power. Would I be better off going thrn285/70 route? Anyone with experience with either of these wheel sizes please share you're thoughts, photos would be greatly appreciated as well.
Well, the timing of this question couldn't be better as I just installed Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/78/17's (load C, I personally feel load E is too much on the FJ but I am not bad mouthing the choice). I finally stepped up from the OEM 16in wheels with 285/75/16's as my FJ is also a daily driver and not a rock crawler. IMO the 285/75 is the PERFECT tire size... for me. It really fits nicely with no other modification other than a BMC. I am not 100% certain the BMC is needed but I got mine done right before I went to the tire shop for the install, thus I never mounted the Nittos with the body mount still in place. I do have SPC UCAs as well.

I don't expect any rub on full stuff in the front or rear(no sway bar and Metal Tech LT) but I should note that I also have a 0.5" body lift and I did also remove my fender flares... completely a personal choice for aesthetic reasons. The body lift was preemptive for getting better access to shock bolts more easily, having more clearance for the rear spare tire to bumper and thinking about 35's in the future :)

I will get you a few pics of the tire clearance to the BMC shortly. I live in CO and driving in the mountains with no re-gear just means slow and steady unless I want to be in high rpms all the time. I literally just got these installed on Tuesday 1/9/18 so I can't really comment on acceleration and braking just yet. In the first 20mi I've driven I don't feel like it was extremely noticeable though.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
I ran 285/70/17 first with a lift an no BMC without any rub. Then I swapped to 28/75/17 Ridge grapplers. I needed a BMC. Essentially the two sizes have the same width about 11.5” but the 285/75 is an inch taller so it does fill the wheel well better. The tires were heavier by 10lbs each but nittos are heavier anyway than others. You do feel it with accelerating and braking but you don’t need to regear.
^^ I agree with all of this... little more rolling weight but no immediate need to regear. But hey, who doesn't WANT to regear :)

John

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Well, the timing of this question couldn't be better as I just installed Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/78/17's (load C, I personally feel load E is too much on the FJ but I am not bad mouthing the choice). I finally stepped up from the OEM 16in wheels with 285/75/16's as my FJ is also a daily driver and not a rock crawler. IMO the 285/75 is the PERFECT tire size... for me. It really fits nicely with no other modification other than a BMC. I am not 100% certain the BMC is needed but I got mine done right before I went to the tire shop for the install, thus I never mounted the Nittos with the body mount still in place. I do have SPC UCAs as well.

I don't expect any rub on full stuff in the front or rear(no sway bar and Metal Tech LT) but I should note that I also have a 0.5" body lift and I did also remove my fender flares... completely a personal choice for aesthetic reasons. The body lift was preemptive for getting better access to shock bolts more easily, having more clearance for the rear spare tire to bumper and thinking about 35's in the future :)

I will get you a few pics of the tire clearance to the BMC shortly. I live in CO and driving in the mountains with no re-gear just means slow and steady unless I want to be in high rpms all the time. I literally just got these installed on Tuesday 1/9/18 so I can't really comment on acceleration and braking just yet. In the first 20mi I've driven I don't feel like it was extremely noticeable though.

John
Looks great! Those wheels are hot. Whenever I get new wheels I will go with bronze as well.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
^^ I agree with all of this... little more rolling weight but no immediate need to regear. But hey, who doesn't WANT to regear

John

I've logged 5000 miles on these new tires. They are E range. I never noticed a difference going from stock duelers to E range tires maybe because my truck is a heavy pig. I did notice a big difference in braking response with switching to TRD brake pads shortly after swapping tires. Will be swapping to stainless steel brake lines as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks for all the responses, very helpful.

HeisKia, why are you thinking about switching sizes? I was also considering the 285/75/16

·
Registered
693 Posts
I want larger diameter for performance and look. I wanted to do 35 but those are all wider. I have to put spacers to clear some suspension components. Then the front end will be too wide as I already have +3.5 long travel. So 285/75/17 is the only option to go bigger diameter without going wider.

·
Registered
340 Posts

John
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but DAYUMM! Darkhorse, those FN wheels are B E A U T I F U L ! Army Green would look sick with those bronze FN wheels. That is the other perfect color, IMHO for bronze wheels.
Back on point, I have an Icon lift, UCA's and BMC, did it before mounting Nitto tires 295/70/17's a few year back and then bought Toyo AT2 Extremes, 285/75/17's and recently bought 285/70/17 Duratrac's. The 287/75/17 does fill the wheel well quite a bit more than the 285/70/17's. (See pics) You will lose a little bit of power, if your go to the 75's, I re-geared and have a S/C and could feel it when swapping from my Nitto 295/70/17 to the larger diameter Toyo's. Now that I switched to the smaller diameter 285/70/17 Duratracs I really feel the difference. My FJ has more torque and HP, but the downside is higher RPM, really noticeable on freeway.
The (75's) might rub at full lock, mine did, until I had the alignment shop move the caster out as far as possible but keep camber and toe in spec.
Hope this helps........... Again, sorry for shameless hijack, but I must say, those Nitto Ridge Grappler's and FN wheels look mighty fine! Aloha....

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
Awesome, thanks for all the responses, very helpful.

HeisKia, why are you thinking about switching sizes? I was also considering the 285/75/16
Thanks for all the likes regarding the bronze FN Wheels :)

Cmarriott, I would recommend the 17in wheel size due to the fact you can run a big brake kit down the road as well. The 285/75/16 is a very common tire choice and you can't go wrong with it but if you want to be more adventurous without committing to a regear and 35's then the 285/75/17 is a solid choice.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright guys thanks for all the help, really appreciate it. Does anyone think it wrong of me to go with Hankook Dynapro MTs for daily driving and offroading on the weekends? dirt, rocks and snow are main types of terrain

·
Registered
881 Posts
Alright guys thanks for all the help, really appreciate it. Does anyone think it wrong of me to go with Hankook Dynapro MTs for daily driving and offroading on the weekends? dirt, rocks and snow are main types of terrain
I had a friend whom did this and he had no complaints. Just know what you're getting yourself into with MT's on pavement in terms of ride quality, NVH, tire longevity... it's your truck, do it up how you please!!! :) My significant other would kill me though if she had to listen to MT's on the road for over an hour... ha.

John

·
Registered
190 Posts
I ran 285/70/17 first with a lift an no BMC without any rub. Then I swapped to 285/75/17 Ridge grapplers. I needed a BMC. Essentially the two sizes have the same width about 11.5” but the 285/75 is an inch taller so it does fill the wheel well better. The tires were heavier by 10lbs each but nittos are heavier anyway than others. You do feel it with accelerating and braking but you don’t need to regear.

Pic is with Ridge grapplers 285/75/17

New and old side by side

Great looking fj. I am thinking about making the jump to 285 75 r17 as soon as tax season is over. I am currently looking at those exact tires in an e rating (i tow with my fj). I am currently running 285 70r17. Have you noticed an off road performance increase with your new ground clearance? Do you think moving up an inch will increase wear and tear on wheel bearings, cv joints and differentials? Thank you for answering my questions in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Great looking fj. I am thinking about making the jump to 285 75 r17 as soon as tax season is over. I am currently looking at those exact tires in an e rating (i tow with my fj). I am currently running 285 70r17. Have you noticed an off road performance increase with your new ground clearance? Do you think moving up an inch will increase wear and tear on wheel bearings, cv joints and differentials? Thank you for answering my questions in advance.
Haven’t really noticed much difference in clearance. It’s really only 1/2 in increase clearance. Larger sized tires will put more strain on those components for sure. This is a heavy tire. At this size it’s heavier than some 35’s like duratracs. Hope this helps somewhat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Haven’t really noticed much difference in clearance. It’s really only 1/2 in increase clearance. Larger sized tires will put more strain on those components for sure. This is a heavy tire. At this size it’s heavier than some 35’s like duratracs. Hope this helps somewhat.
Thank you for your answers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Darkhorse,

I agree with your statement concerning load range E. My only negative point about my Ridge Grapplers is the 10 ply.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts