9,755 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Brief hijack... what brand foxwing / batwing awning is that the darkhorse13?

Well, the timing of this question couldn't be better as I just installed Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/78/17's (load C, I personally feel load E is too much on the FJ but I am not bad mouthing the choice). I finally stepped up from the OEM 16in wheels with 285/75/16's as my FJ is also a daily driver and not a rock crawler. IMO the 285/75 is the PERFECT tire size... for me. It really fits nicely with no other modification other than a BMC. I am not 100% certain the BMC is needed but I got mine done right before I went to the tire shop for the install, thus I never mounted the Nittos with the body mount still in place. I do have SPC UCAs as well.

John
Return to regular programming . . . .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, the timing of this question couldn't be better as I just installed Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/78/17's (load C, I personally feel load E is too much on the FJ but I am not bad mouthing the choice).
Hi John,

Your ride looks great! This may be a silly question: why is the 'E' rated tire harder on the FJ than the 'C'? In the Ridge Grapplers they are basically the same weight. I always thought the 'E's were heavier, which was the problem, but in the case of these tires there isn't really a weight difference according to Nitto. Is there another metric in play? I guess I don't know how they can be the same weight, but according to Nitto they are. :shrug03:

·
Registered
163 Posts
USUALLY the C's are lighter. Maybe not on the Nitto....maybe its a typo?
That's what I am wondering. I reached out to Nitto, I will post their response if/when I get one. I am curious, because otherwise if they are the same weight, what is the benefit of 'C's?

Always more questions then answers..

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
They would be less plys typically so they’d probably ride better. However most E rates have higher tread depths.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That's what I am wondering. I reached out to Nitto, I will post their response if/when I get one. I am curious, because otherwise if they are the same weight, what is the benefit of 'C's?

Always more questions then answers..
Sorry, just getting back to this. Yes, I also have concerns regarding the weights posted on Nittos site. Typically I would have weighed mine before they got mounted but they were sent directly to my installer and I didn't have the chance.

The C's are softer and will deform better when airing down off-road as well as be more compliant on the road. They will probably wear a little faster due to the softer compound though.

My choice would be a D-load but not too many tire brands I had my eye on made a D.

For what it's worth I had better luck calling Nitto over the phone rather than email.

John

·
Registered
163 Posts
So I heard back from Nitto. According to them, the tire specs are correct on the site, that they are about the same weight, just built differently.

"Thank you for contacting Nitto Tire.

The weights listed for the tires you provided is correct as stated on our website. The overall dimensions of both tires remain the same. They also share similar construction. The slight difference between the two is due to the actual internal construction and how the plys are laid out. This difference is what allows one to have a higher load rating than the other. Other than that, they are almost identical therefore are similar in weight. "

Other than a more flexible sidewall, does this mean there is no mpg or other benefit of the 'C' over the 'E'?

I guess I am still really surprised they weigh the same..

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the E Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285 75r17. I have had them for about 6 months. I chose the E over the C because I tow and the c rated tire was too close to the the weight that I tow. Let me say that these are some stiff tires when they are new. I took them to a local ohv park to test them out, I had a very difficult time getting the tire to flex to grip rocks and concrete ledges even at 14 psi. I had to take it to 10-12 psi to get any sort of flex. They have broken in a little and seem to have more flex than they did originally but I usually keep my psi pretty low to get the sidewall to flex. I wish they made a D because E is just a little too stiff for me. If I was to choose again between a C and E tire, I would still get the E because I tow UTV, ATVs and a popup trailer. I would probably get the C if I did not tow.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have the E Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285 75r17. I have had them for about 6 months. I chose the E over the C because I tow and the c rated tire was too close to the the weight that I tow. Let me say that these are some stiff tires when they are new. I took them to a local ohv park to test them out, I had a very difficult time getting the tire to flex to grip rocks and concrete ledges even at 14 psi. I had to take it to 10-12 psi to get any sort of flex. They have broken in a little and seem to have more flex than they did originally but I usually keep my psi pretty low to get the sidewall to flex. I wish they made a D because E is just a little too stiff for me. If I was to choose again between a C and E tire, I would still get the E because I tow UTV, ATVs and a popup trailer. I would probably get the C if I did not tow.
Well said... I agree with this.

I air down to 15psi with my C's and they are really squishy.

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
Forgive me but do you really need E rated tires? The weight capacity per C rated tire is 2835 lbs at 50 psi. X 4 tires = 11340 lbs. No way you are over that. GVWR for FJC is 5500 lbs heavy, and tongue weight is about 500-600 lbs max. My understanding is, unless you're running them at the 50-80 psi range, you don't need the E.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Forgive me but do you really need E rated tires? The weight capacity per C rated tire is 2835 lbs at 50 psi. X 4 tires = 11340 lbs. No way you are over that. GVWR for FJC is 5500 lbs heavy, and tongue weight is about 500-600 lbs max. My understanding is, unless you're running them at the 50-80 psi range, you don't need the E.

So you may be right. However, I am a cautious person. When I look at limits for equipment I try not to take them to the max. I use an 80% rule and take things to 80% of max. (I use this for recovery gear as well.) I find that as you push the max sometimes things fail even though they are not supposed to. I plan on towing about 4K at most, this puts my at 9500 give or take. Since 80% of 11340 is 9072 lbs I thought that I was pushing the limits of a C rated tire. This why I would of chose a D rather than a E, but faced with a choice between an C and a E, I thought E was the safer choice. You could get the C tire, and probably be fine, I just decided to play it safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Guys,

Sorry to Bring this back, after a month and a half. been trying to research and found this after a few days to be closest to what im looking for.. I am looking for new tires too, and I saw the 285/75/17. Only thing is, Im Stock Lift, no BMC.

I didnt see anything here about no lift, etc. what are yalls thoughts on this? instead onf the 285/70/17?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Guys,

Sorry to Bring this back, after a month and a half. been trying to research and found this after a few days to be closest to what im looking for.. I am looking for new tires too, and I saw the 285/75/17. Only thing is, Im Stock Lift, no BMC.

I didnt see anything here about no lift, etc. what are yalls thoughts on this? instead onf the 285/70/17?
285/70/17 will rub with no lift (assuming you are on stock UCA with very limited caster). So 285/75/17 will be even worse.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts