Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok so it's my turn to ask the tire questions lol.

So i just got this fj i owned 1 before and no that body chops need to be done with certain tires and rims.

My little brother has a brand new set of fuel rims that are 17 inch with -12 offset. With brand new 285/70/17 falken wild peak tires. I know that my fj has bilstein 5100 on it but don't know what setting they are on. Will this set up work on my fj no rub?

Right now i have 265/60/18 toyo's that are just worn out and really slippery in wet weather.

My next question is how are the falken wild peaks? Last long? I usually run BFG on all my trucks but i really cant pass up the deal.
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all!
I agree with Cmarriott! What a great resource and wealth of information. Some really cool mods to!
So Im also going to swap my MT MTZ p3 295/75/17's for 285/75/17's And Im loving the wheels that darkhorse13 has!
I've reached out to FN Wheels and have them on order from Calgary Alberta to Ontario where I'm located. Thank you to darkhorse13 for the info I really appreciate it.

My question is does any one know if the 285/75/17 will fit the spare tire area? I have the stock bumper, with the wheel cap and backup camera.I have no plans to change that in the near future.

Any information would really help !
Thanks to all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all!
I agree with Cmarriott! What a great resource and wealth of information. Some really cool mods to!
So Im also going to swap my MT MTZ p3 295/75/17's for 285/75/17's And Im loving the wheels that darkhorse13 has!
I've reached out to FN Wheels and have them on order from Calgary Alberta to Ontario where I'm located. Thank you to darkhorse13 for the info I really appreciate it.

My question is does any one know if the 285/75/17 will fit the spare tire area? I have the stock bumper, with the wheel cap and backup camera.I have no plans to change that in the near future.

Any information would really help !
Thanks to all!
Hello,
From my experience no, you can't fit the spare with that tire size. I am running 285/75R17 KO2's on stock rims with 3/4 inch Bora wheel spacers, JBA high camber HD-UCA's and BMC, no rubing at all. I also replaced my inner and outer tie rod ends and the LCA's and greasable cam bolts. The LCA's were rusted so bad that I had to cut them out with a Sawzall. To get that tire size to fit I removed the spare tire mounting bracket and raised it about 1/2 inch on the back door. But then the rear window wonuldn't open. I bought two 1.5 inch wheel spacers and mounted one to the bracket then the wheel fits and the window opens. If you want, I'll sell you the other one for $20.00 + shipping. Just let me know.

Ralph

·
Registered
3 Posts
Someone mentioned slipping when wet with larger tires. My experience with larger tires, and in particular 285/75R17's, I noticed my rear end breaking loose easily even on dry pavement. What fixed it for me was re-gearing. Knowing what I know now I would re-gear before I get new tires. I had ECGS, East Coast Gear Supply, install 4.56 Nitro's. With that tire size and those gears I have traction again and much better response and power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks man!
Yeah, I knew it was an old posting but sometimes I like to followup with my experience and solutions as it may be helpful for others searching for answers.
I've been following this forum for several years now though it was time for me to chime in, now that I know more about building a lifted FJC. 🤙

Thanks again fore the welcome!
Ralph

41 - 48 of 48 Posts