Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The compass doesn't work, and no this isn't a calibration thing. The plastic piece with the east, west, etc markings spins if I use my fingers. And the truck symbol is stuck in a position pointing at 7 o'clock. I'm really not sure how this goofy thing works, but the pix I see have the truck pointing straight up and it looks like the east, west plastic piece does the spinning, is this correct? Should I be able to spin that piece by hand?

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,934 Posts
If you could provide photos that would be excellent, bit no you shouldn't be able to move anything in the triple gauge dash cluster by hand. On my FJ there is a plastic cover covering those components and filled with a fluid or something allowing those parts to move freely by themselves. Sounds like yours is missing that and probably needs replacing entirely! But photos will help us make sure of the issue.

In this photo you can see the reflection of the plastic enclosure of the moving dials.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I popped the cover off the top of the devices and its clear that something leaked. Ugh! Oh well, at least i know im not goping nuts. Of couse I cant find just a separate compass pod. thx.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed! Took the cluster out and the plastic cover which has the pic of the truck stencil on it fell out. A little super glue and it now works. It looks like the inclinometer is filled with some form of liquid, and that works fine. Guessing previous owner spilled something on the dash and it seeped under cluster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts