Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone with an owners manual tell me what compass zone I am in? I lost my manual and my battery died. I believe it's on pg 185 or close to it. I'm near Tokyo. Thankz

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The US Owners manual does not show or provide information outside of North American Continent. Sorry. It is on page 252 of the 08 manual.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I believe you can take UTC, subtract (or add) your normal time zone hours, and then add 1 to it (for some reason, I'm UTC-6 hours (U.S. Central time zone), but in the manual it states that my time zone is zone 7).

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I moved here it has been about 15 degrees off from my gps. I guess I'll just try each number and see which is closest. Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
JST (Japan Standard Time) is UTC+9, so try zone 10, first.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6 for the win!! Time zone isn't the factor, it's the magnetic flux lines of the earth.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Ah, good to know!

Glad ya got it sussed...

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
This is the FJ North America map:

And this is the declination map for the globe:

Surprised it's 6. By similarity, I'd have guessed like 10. Saipan is listed as 8, which from the declination map (15N, 145E) has it on the 0 degree line, which corresponds to the compass code of 8. Looks like a reasonable rule of thumb is code = 8 - (dec/4)

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may be 8, there was no distinct movement between 5 to 8 compared to the higher and lower numbers so my choice was 6 or 7 to hit the medium, I just chose 6 because it is a sexier number than 7. the curves and all.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts